cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I start?

mcclellandrj
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I own 4 phones that are unlocked. We are with Virgin Mobile.

Are there any savings if you start your account online? or do you get any discount with 4 users? If there are no savings in doing the setup online, I will go into Walmart today, thanks 

11 REPLIES 11

@Naepalm wrote:

@geopublic they should make it explicit when porting that you only need to use Accnt#, Name. I would have saved time when porting over not double checking my IME# 10x to make sure it was correct LOL.

And they really should include the PIN, an extra safety measure against SIM jacking...

Number portability requirements are set outside of Public Mobile. These rules state that only one of these piece of information is needed. PIN often causes problems, in my opinion because of how it gets easily confused with other numbers such as vociemail password.

@geopublic they should make it explicit when porting that you only need to use Accnt#, Name. I would have saved time when porting over not double checking my IME# 10x to make sure it was correct LOL.

And they really should include the PIN, an extra safety measure against SIM jacking...

@mcclellandrj  When porting your number from Virgin best to only use the account number. Do not include the IMEI or PIN as only one of the three is required to complete the port. If you add IMEI and/or PIN it just will make things more complicated and the risk of the port failing or getting stuck goes up so best to provide the account number only.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@mcclellandrj wrote:

Are there any savings if you start your account online? or do you get any discount with 4 users? If there are no savings in doing the setup online, I will go into Walmart today, thanks 

Make sure you have a SIM card from Public for all the phones then go to activate once you have done that. 

https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

if you have a friend's referral make sure you have that out as well. 

Note: Do not cancel your service with Virgin before doing this.

So step one is fill out your info, and choose a PIN: when choosing a PIN make sure you keep this PIN handy or save it in a password protector APP like Last Pass.

Note: You will need a different email for every account you open if you don't have that many emails go to Gmail and open up the four accounts and name them Public mobile 1,2,3 and 4 or something. 

For each of the phones you will need the IME#

To get this dial *#06# from each phone and it will show up on the screen.

You will need the original account holder name from Virgin:

Virgin's account number:

The IME#

A PIN from virgin if you used one (note:I had a pin from Bell didn't input it and it still went through)

After you go through all that you will click Activate.

Make sure to sign up for autopay as well to save another $2.00 per account.

By my math when you start with Public you will save $11.00 (2.00 x 4, 1 account has $3.00 in referrals)  a month going forward and immediately save 40.00 for all the referrals. 

Glad to have you part of Public Mobile!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@mcclellandrj wrote:

@mcclellandrj  Best to signup one member at a time to take advantage of all the discounts. Since you are with Virgin you need to have all the necessary information to port-in your numbers. To port in a number you will need the following information for each member:

• Virgin Account Number
  • Name on the Account
  • Virgin Phone number

So when you are ready you will need 4 Public Mobile SIM cards. You can purchase them online or go to a Walmart location or a London Drugs location.

As I mentioned earlier, best to start with just one member. Activate the PM sim card and if you use a referral code your will get and additional $10 bonus added to your account. Since your phone is unlocked then activate the first account online or at a retail location.

Note: You will need to use a separate email or email address for each member as Public Mobile does not support multiple numbers in the same account.

Make sure you have the porting information ready and if you use a credit card and enable Auto-Pay you will get a $2.00 credit applied to the account every 30 days.

Once the activation is complete please note that it can take up to 4 hours for the port to complete. Just keep using your Virgin sim until it stops working then use your Public sim card after that.

Congratulations you just setup your first account. You should have setup you online selfserve account at this point also.

If not click here to register your selfserve account. Once your account has been setup PM will issue you your own referral code that you will use during the other three activations. By doing so you will get another $1 off credit every 30 days for each referral and they will get the $10 off one-time bonus.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Great choice! Welcome to PM! 🙂

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@mcclellandrj remember you will need a separate email for each account but you can use the same cc to pay for all four accounts if you wish that will get you another 2 dollars off per 30 day cycle for each account  😁

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can setup one account and use a referral code to save $1/referral and $10.  After setup the remaining three accounts.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-started

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/the-refer-a-friend-reward

Also setup autopay by registering a credit card or Visa debit card to save $2.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/set-up-autopay

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@mcclellandrj wrote:

Go to the top of this page "Get Started" for some direction. You can find out if your phone is compatible, unlocked and not reported as stolen.

IMO, I wouldn't activate my sim at Walmart...bring the sims home and do it yourself as there's some benefits to take advantage of.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Buy 4 sims

.use a referral code for first sign up you get $10...once that first account is created..log in and take your referral code and use it for the others or wtv ones you want to use..each account will get $10 credit and the referral will get a $1 off per 30 days. So you can have one account with $3 off or split them...as the 4th $1 off would go to whoever u use code for first sign up.

Add autopay to each account which is an extra $2 off per 30 days

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@mcclellandrj Hello I would say your best bet would be to go into Walmart  and buy your sims take them home if you wish set up online would be the quickest good luck After you set up your first account set up your self serve go inside and get your referral number so that you can get $10 off for all three of your next accounts this will be applied on their second cycle bill plus you will get three dollars a month off of your bill

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@mcclellandrj each account needs it's own unique email and SIM card.  There are no family accounts here. Welcome to PM.  Stay safe. 

Here's 4 articles on activation and porting and the Refer a friend reward  if required:

1. What you require to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/what-you-need-to-activate
2.How to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up
3.How to port https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number
4. Refer a friend https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/the-refer-a-friend-reward

Need Help? Let's chat.