cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

home phone service

marcos12
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When and will PM offer home phone service, be it VOIP or cell, in the near future?

so far I am pretty satisfied with the cell service as it other  beats all the Canadian carrier on price and service.

20 REPLIES 20

marcos12

marcos12

@Anonymous 

Thanks. I am sure it worked but it remains an expensive and not practical solution. I went with G3 telecom.

thanks again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@marcos12 

I finally got around to trying out an active PM SIM in the Telus SmartHub MF279T. It was only using the internet before but it worked fine with a phone plugged in and once I changed the APN, it worked fine for data. Another device option. 🙂

marcos12

Yeah I was also looking at G3 telecom and will now compare it to Fongo.

thanks

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@marcos12 : You can port from a landline. Yes the Koodo price is nice. Telus is $10. The minimum here is $15 unless you have the old $10 plan. But no contract and familiarity of the service.

Maybe the prices reflect that there's data and texting here.

Edit: I'll add - I have the Telus Wireless Home Phone under Telus Mobility. I also have Telus Purefibre and Telus Optik TV. There's another $10 having both sides of business. So that WHP is free.

You have over two Telus services.  You can sign up the Telus Rewards program.

I'm with @pgarewal - Fongo home phone is a great plug-n-play option for $4.95+tax per month. Unlimited canada wide calling, 911 included. (one of the primary reasons to keep a home phone imho - especially here with small kids) Their charge for the ATA is cheap, but its a really decent Grandstream HT801. Fongo doesn't charge much or at all for porting in your land line.

I "upgraded" to this from Rogers wireless home phone, which was $13 per month. I switched because of my plan to move my wireless line to PM, and that $13 price was only good along with another line.. And honestly, the fongo service is BETTER sound quality than the wireless home phone! (Because it uses the uncompressed G711 codec, not cellular compression)

The fongo is a great managed service... I eventually moved to another VoIP provider as im a techie, and one I got my feet wet with fongo's home phone, I wanted more control and to hack it together myself, eventually moving to voip.ms - but I managed to repurpose my ATA from Fongo. 🙂

I still have my WF721 that I unlocked from rogers, and indeed it works with a PM SIM too when I tried for fun... 🙂

@marcos12  Ya the price of the box is high now. When I got Koodo home phone years ago it was $45 for the box. My home phone is permanently fixed at $10 after calling their loyalty department.

I can confirm the box works with Public Mobile SIM cards.  As an alternative. Look on Amazon for home phones that have a sim card slot or see if you can get a second hand box off Kijiji or Marketplace and just use a PM Sim card in it.

pgarewal
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Fongo has a home phone service which is $4.95 per month and their adapter is only $29. 

marcos12

just looked at koodoo. Not attractive. you need to buy the ZTE @ $125 plus 5$/month for the 1st year.

Meaning for the first year you would actually be paying +$15.

the year after it would revert to $20/month.

thank though!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@marcos12 : You can port from a landline. Yes the Koodo price is nice. Telus is $10. The minimum here is $15 unless you have the old $10 plan. But no contract and familiarity of the service.

Maybe the prices reflect that there's data and texting here.

Edit: I'll add - I have the Telus Wireless Home Phone under Telus Mobility. I also have Telus Purefibre and Telus Optik TV. There's another $10 having both sides of business. So that WHP is free.

@marcos12 wrote:

this sound like an acceptable solution. I will look into it.

But since I wont be using data, I dont think PM has a plan for unlimited incoming and outgoing voice only. maybe I am mistaken.

Also will PM transfer my landline number to a SIM?

The data doesn't have to be used, but I think that you're looking at that based on a cost perspective.

Whether a landline number can be transfered is dependent on Public Mobile also offer local phone numbers for the same city as your landline number. If Public Mobile does, then your landlline number can be transferred to Public Mobile.

@marcos12 wrote:

But since I wont be using data, I dont think PM has a plan for unlimited incoming and outgoing voice only. maybe I am mistaken.

You can transfer landline numbers.  They take a little longer to transfer.  

For the most part, the Public Mobile plans are designed around mobile device usage.  That why the $15 plan includes unlimited text and not unlimited minutes.  As I mentioned already, the sister brand Koodo offers a wireless home phone solution that is $5 per month with unlimited Canada wide calling with all the typical call features.  This deal is unbeatable.  Anyone asking me about home phone service, this is my answer.  

@marcos12 wrote:

It is more of an inconvenience for me.

living in a household where other family members need to answer the phone, so I would need multiple phones set up instead of 1 cell phone laying around and everyone rushing to answer it, depending where it is in the house.

I agree with your solution if only 1 or 2 people live in the house.thanks.

Some of the bluetooh device options have multiple handset products available.  Only the main base needs to be connected by bluetooth to your cell phone. 

As for home phone adapters, those work by inserting your SIM card into the device. They work best by connecting them near where the phone wiring enters the premises. That way,  most or even all of the house's wiring can be connected to the home device by a standard telephone cable. That way, all of the premise's regular telephones will work as they normally do.

marcos12

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@marcos12 , the sister brand Koodo already offers an unbeatable wireless home phone service ($5 per month for first year).  I cannot see the point of Public Mobile getting into the game.  

marcos12

public Mobile could be the leader in this . 🙂 and grab share of this market early on.

I actually tried your solution but I ended up having to continuously charge the cell phone. The Panasonic is continuously on the charger but a cell phone, not practical.

Thanks though for the idea.

marcos12

It is more of an inconvenience for me.

living in a household where other family members need to answer the phone, so I would need multiple phones set up instead of 1 cell phone laying around and everyone rushing to answer it, depending where it is in the house.

I agree with your solution if only 1 or 2 people live in the house.thanks.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

I guess won't be soon..  i don't see Lucky or Chatr is offering that, too

maybe you should consider open a new Mobile line for home use?  Then get a Panasonic Bluetooth cordless phones that can connect to the mobile and run it that way?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@marcos12 wrote:

When and will PM offer home phone service, be it VOIP or cell, in the near future?

so far I am pretty satisfied with the cell service as it other  beats all the Canadian carrier on price and service.

Get one of those wireless home phone devices and stick a PM SIM in and voila one home service. WF721

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@marcos12 wrote:

@marcos12 Why not use your cell as a home phone? That's what I do. Haven't had a wired home phone in years.

Need Help? Let's chat.