cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hold off on porting... or go ahead

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

A friend is planning to port over his business cell over to PM from Bell.  Just wondeing if  we should hold off, or go ahead with the port?    I have become a little worried after reading about all the people having issues with porting and the possible delayed responce time from moderators(just going by what i have read in forums).  Past personal experice has been no issues.

17 REPLIES 17

agaskin
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@mimmo I also have the decision to make on attempting to port a business line or not.

An alternative option (with a possible cost of 1 months service at your current provider) is to activate a PM number and forward your current business line to it for the time being.

Once the Fall2016 promo is over and the mods/tech support have had a chance to address the issue people have been having - simply login into self serve and port your business line into PM.

Just a thought. 

DugMcV
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Char21 I thought, initially, that there was something wrong with my activation and porting. As soon as I popped in my SIM and noted my phone was showing Public  Mobile instead of Rogers, I was able to place calls and use data. But incoming calls went to Voicemail; I was in the middle of searching the community for help with that when I got a text message from PM saying the transfer had gone through successfully. At that point: SMS, MMS, and incoming calls were also working flawlessly.  It took about 15 minutes for that text message to arrive after I had finished the sign-up process.

Char21

Oh, it's good to hear that there are some smooth transitions out there.  I thought mine was all good until I realized nothing was incoming.  

DugMcV

I ported from Rogers, and had no problems at all. As a couple of people have noted, users who have no problems tend not to report, and for every person who does have issues, there are likely hundreds who do not.  

outdoorsaddix
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Char21 Annecdotal, but I had a near instantaneous Fido (rogers) port last Wednesday

mimmo

@outdoorsaddix started a successful port thread. http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Successful-Ports-Thread/m-p/85720   

@phoenix, @Canuck can you repost your success stories there 🙂

phoenix

@mimmo  I ported my phone over on wednesday when I got my sim card and it was working almost instantly.

Char21

From what I've read, it seems like people porting from Telus/Koodo are not having issues.  It's everyone else Wind, Fido, and Rogers customers that are not porting smoothly.   

mimmo

Thanks for the feedback.  As mentioned I had no issues with the three ports I did previously, and was weary of porting over a business line due to all the "issues" I had been reading.  Its actually good to see the positive results instead of hearing the negative ones.  Maybe we should start a forum tread "I sucessfully ported my number from xyz  it it took x hours on date 🙂  Might  help people  seeing all the positive ports instead of just the negative.

Will likley port over this weekend, as its a slower time for business calls, and fingers crossed. 

PS Have been with PM and for 90 days and haven't had any real issues, and I enjoy the forum aspect of it.

Emissary
I'm one of those minority users who is dealing with a protracted porting process. It's been 29 hours so far and I've resorted to using my old SIM card until it's worked out. You'll have to accept some level of risk. If it all goes well, then it will be great. If it doesn't, you'll be left wondering what to do. The mods are swamped right now and it may take a couple of days for them to respond to you. I'm sure everything eventually gets resolved, but you need to be able to get by in the meantime if you're one of the unlucky ones.

outdoorsaddix
Ported yesterday from Telus and I was up and running instantly. Calls in, out and data all worked flawlessly.

People don't tend to make posts about their activation unless something goes wrong. I agree with everyone else, I would bet for every issue you see here there were hundreds of successful activations with no issues at all.

In fact I would call this one the smoothest I have ever experienced. I have ported around my number a ton with of times over the years and most have taken at least an hour to complete.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
The thing is, while it might seem like a huge number of people are having problems, there are probably thousands of others having no problems at all. Over on the rfd forums, people were comparing order numbers for sims (assuming sequential order numbers). I feel like there were something like 5000 orders in the first couple days of this promo alone.

jchan

I was in the minority and had problems with my activation. The port worked flawlessly though, but due to activation issues I didn't have a phone number for around 4 days.

What happened was that the porting request went through and Telus deactivated my service before I got my PM account working.

Seeing as you friend is using his cell for business I'd say maybe go with a different order of operations in case he needs his number and something does go wrong.

You can always activate a Public Mobile account with a new number and get that working first. Once it is working you can always port over your number afterwards. 

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

My port was completed almost instantaneously! I completed it later at night hoping maybe the servers would be slower, not saying that's why it went smoothly but just putting it out there!

A10A

There's been a small number of people who've had problems from what I read. Won't matter if you port now or bit later, just don't miss the deadline.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

My view hasn't changed even with the aggravations of late; the promo or calling only plans are terrific value. BUT a fallback plan is essential for must have calling; here are a couple of my older posts on the issues: Service security   Low risk activation.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

meekju1339

All speed ahead. Ive ported over 1 today and 3 yesterday all with sucess. A very small percentage of people have errors as most of them have been kinked out.  Welcome to Public Mobile 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.