cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

having problems activating my sim card.

carole111
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have recently gotten a public mobile phone.  My sim card does not work.  All I can get is an emergency number. Please advise as to what to do?

Thanks Carole

778xxxxxxx

12 REPLIES 12

@carole111 Forgot to ask where you purchased the phone. If came from another carrier it may be locked to it and hence cannot connect to Public Mobile.

Base on some research the Jethro will work on Public Mobile if it is unlocked.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@carole111 Try your SIM card in a different unlocked phone. Usually flip phones like this just work as soon as the SIM is installed.

With the SIM card installed, what message do you see on the phone when you turn the phone off completely, then on again" Do you see Public Mobile with some dots/bars?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

carole111

How do you tell whether 3g/WD CM/HSPA networks are enabled from my phone's network settings. What actually is that anyway?

Thanks for your suggestions.

carole111

We have tried inserting both sides into the try.   Neither one works..

carole111

The phone is a Jethro Sc729 and I activated it Jan. 26th. My son and I have tried everything to get this phone going.  Nobody seems to know what is wrong.  I will probably go to a local cell phone store and just buy a regular cell phone which

is too bad because I just got this one for emergencies as I have a home phone.

carole111

Thank you for replying.  My phone was activated online and there were no error messages.

It is a Jethro  SC729. I activated it Jan 26th for 1 month at time.  It is Jan. 29th today and I'm not happy with paying for the activation and sim card and the phone not working.  My son put the sim card into the phone face down so the metal part connects to the phone.  We have tried everything suggested.  If I don't get this phone working soon I will be going to a cell phone store and buying a new phone which of course will cost a lot more than public mobile.  I have read some of the problems others and they are very similar to mine This is pretty frustrating as it was a gift from my daughter.

@NDesai wrote:

@slash407 wrote:

make sure its the right side inserted in the tray, abunch of small things like that could b the culprit, believe me. I have seen it wayy to many times.

Oh really. All smartphones i have seen, all fit the sim only one way. If you try to put it wrong on purpose, the tray shouldn't go in. 

Yeah, I think your key point is "tray". I know that for phones where you just slide the card into a slot, that putting it in upside down could happen. But, many times you can see the electrical contacts in the phone.  With a tray, there would be grooves that the sim card would have to line up with. If someone managed to get the that removable sim card tray back into the phone with an updside down sim card, it would likely get jammed, or the sim card would fall out into the inner guts of the phone.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407 wrote:

make sure its the right side inserted in the tray, abunch of small things like that could b the culprit, believe me. I have seen it wayy to many times.

If that was the case I'm pretty sure the phone would say no sim card inserted or possibly invalid sim card.

If we have make and model of phone we might be able to give more direction.

@slash407 wrote:

Oh really. All smartphones i have seen, all fit the sim only one way. If you try to put it wrong on purpose, the tray shouldn't go in. 

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@slash407

Keep it up slash...your efforts are appreciated......

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Which phone? (Make and model)

@carole111 wrote:

I have recently gotten a public mobile phone.  My sim card does not work.  All I can get is an emergency number. Please advise as to what to do?

Thanks Carole

778xxxxxxx

I have removed your phone number because anything you post here can be seen by anyone with an internet connection.

My understanding is that your phone is showing a message similar to "emergency calls only".  This can either be because there is no Public Mobile signal where you are, the network type is incorrectly set, or your phone is incompatible. It is also possible that your account was never activated properly.

Did you activate at a store, or did you do it yourself online?  And if you did it online, were there any error messages on your comptuer screen along the way?

From your end, make sure that 3g/WDCMA/HSPA type networks are enabled from within your phone's network settings.  Also, which phone model are you are you using? 

Need Help? Let's chat.