cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

going directly to voicemail

Atrebla211
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Some carriers provide an option of going Directly to Voicemail without having to call the number (e.g., instead of using an app such as Slydial). Can it be done on Public Mobile?

11 REPLIES 11

@Atrebla211 wrote:

It didn’t work for me (or perhaps it’s not what I had asked).

...Because my instructions were for dialing into an access number from a NON-Public Mobile, Koodo, or Telus phone. If you call from a PM, Koodo, or Telus mobile phone it will immediately try to log you into your own mailbox.

I found a solution on google - dial voicemail, press 2 and record message then press *, press 5 and select delivery option you want. I tested it and it does what I was looking for.  That said, it doesn’t seem worth the effort!

This is actually interesting, I didn't realize this was possible once logged into your own mailbox, with a slight variation of above, so it CAN be done from a PM/Koodo/Telus phone but I also found it requires a lot more interaction steps as you noted:

• Dial your own voicemail, enter password if configured to require one
  • Press 2 to record a message
  • To send the message press 9
  • Address by mailbox number press 1
  • enter destination mailbox number followed by #
  • "Your message has been addressed to" (Plays mailbox recorded name)
  • To send message now press #

Atrebla211

It didn’t work for me (or perhaps it’s not what I had asked).  I found a solution on google - dial voicemail, press 2 and record message then press *, press 5 and select delivery option you want. I tested it and it does what I was looking for.  That said, it doesn’t seem worth the effort!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Atrebla211   the only issue i would see is timing.  ie if i see a missed call i often don't even listen to voicemail or if I have existing voicemail i might not notice an additional one.  

It might be different with visual voicemail but even so the message might not be listened to in a timely manner.

Anonymous
Not applicable

From a non-Telus-cellular service...dial any of the voicemail access numbers. It'll ask for the number to leave a message with. You'll hear the greeting and the tone. Leave your message. The recipient will get a voicemail notification.

Edit: dang it. And I thought I was so clever 🙂

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Atrebla211 wrote:

Some carriers provide an option of going Directly to Voicemail without having to call the number (e.g., instead of using an app such as Slydial). Can it be done on Public Mobile?

To leave a voicemail for a Public Mobile (or Telus & Koodo) subscriber without ringing their phone, you can dial any one of the voicemail access numbers across Canada from a non-Public/Koodo/Telus phone (blocking caller ID doesn't work) -- here is a list:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-N...

Press 1 for English, then dial the 10 digit mobile number of the person you would like to leave a message for.

Atrebla211

Yes, Slydial (and Whatcall) apps allow you to do what I was asking about.  It seems like a slightly more personal alternative to text messaging.  I’ve seen instructions on how to do it with an iPhone but I get it to work.

@JK8 wrote:

Thanks @computergeek541 . I misinterpreted the OP’s question.

No worries.  When I replied, I wasn't 100% sure that that the OP was asking that, but after I posted, I noticed the mention of Slydial and decided to see what that was.  Without the mention of that app, I agree that another interpreation could be that the customer wants some form of visual vociemail or just wants to look at a text message to find out who called and tap on a link to check the message.

Thanks @computergeek541 . I misinterpreted the OP’s question.

@JK8 wrote:

@Atrebla211 wrote:

Pressing and holding 1 from your phone is quick.

I did a search on Google and Slydial is an app so that someone can leave you a voice message without actually calling your phone number.

@Atrebla211 wrote:

I haven't seen that option, so no, it can't be done.  You mean so that someone can leave you a message without calling you, correct?  I'm not sure that Public Mobile would consider implementing that feature and know that some carriers have allowed it by someone calling a dedeicated vociemail number, but personally, I would find it creepy if someone was to leave me a message in that manner.  You either want to talk to me or you don't.  The other issue with this is that customers will think that there is a network issue causing the phone to not ring.  Besides, for such short messages that don't require a reply, most people are likely using SMS or instant messaging.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Atrebla211 wrote:

Pressing and holding 1 from your phone is quick.

Need Help? Let's chat.