cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

friends can't call me

borntobewild
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I tried the stupid bot to fix this but it couldn't understand my problem. So I came here. The phone number that they gave me is a long distance phone number for all business and friends who try and call me on a land line. I would like either the company contact someone to make it a local call in my town or give me a number that is a local call number.

27 REPLIES 27

@Joelkim wrote:

You need a local number. 

The OP already knows that but was asking how to get this change done.

Joelkim
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You need a local number. 

borntobewild

ok lol not a forum guy more of a lurker so I guess it is a little south

😂 😂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@borntobewild wrote:

250 is everything outside of lower mainland including island

Pretty sure that tongue was pretty firmly planted in cheek. 🙂

borntobewild

250 is everything outside of lower mainland including island

Lol.  I am still stuck on 604. I still think 778 is an intruder. 😀 And 250 is it down south some where?

@LurganIeUk 

Bad news.... 236 is old hat in BC by now, into service in 2013! 672 is the newer Area Code, 2019 vintage.

AE_Collector

@borntobewild wrote:

that bot is an idiot

That made me laugh!

AE_Collector

borntobewild

Thank you ALL. I just kept trying the change number thing and it finally worked. I guess the solution is have patience and keep trying. Thanks again TTFN

Anonymous
Not applicable

@borntobewild wrote:

that bot is an idiot worst AI I have ever seen it keeps running me in circles and won't get a moderator for me

I know. That's why I hate suggesting it.

Try clicking on the little envelope icon in the upper right next to your light bulb avatar. In the To: box type moderator_team. While typing that it may pop up with the full name. If so then click it.

Then type your questions in the textbox. It's a lot like email. It's a lot like posting here.

Then watch that little envelope for an indication that you got a reply. You'll need to supply a bunch of information to prove that it's you. Don't reply to any email. That's just a notification. Come back to the envelope.

borntobewild

that bot is an idiot worst AI I have ever seen it keeps running me in circles and won't get a moderator for me

Anonymous
Not applicable

@borntobewild wrote:

Thanks again for all your replies. I went back and looked for some more numbers and found a couple I liked and tried each of them but it comes back with Phone Number change failed. I guess I will have to keep trying.

Ask the moderators. I had that too. I selected a new area code/prefix and got that error.

Another account had no problem though. Even after multiple refreshes.

Call the number and see if anything answers and then let the mods know that that's the number you want because it shows up in the list.

borntobewild

Thanks again for all your replies. I went back and looked for some more numbers and found a couple I liked and tried each of them but it comes back with Phone Number change failed. I guess I will have to keep trying.

@borntobewild You can only choose from what's there. You can port in but why? You said no one would recognize the number but almost no one remembers numbers anyways and just save the numbers in the list.

@borntobewild is there a place like this in Canada....

I believe you can buy numbers here too...but for USA only.  Also check Craigslist and some sell numbers there.....but tooo expensive. 

The other way is, go to Voip.ms and see if they have numbers suitable to you. Get 2 numbers for your account. Then port the one you like best to PM. It may take a week though to port.

Look here ,Select province, View numbers. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LurganIeUk wrote:

🙂

Is there not at one point on PM number selection that you can ask for last 4 numbers? 

I know that @borntobewild @is looking for an older area code that is more recognizable. Like in the lower mainland in BC....who knows that 236 is a new area code that covers all of BC. I have some ideas to post for @borntobewild   

Only during activation.

I went to my city and got a list. Didn't like the choices. Dropped down for the prior city in the list. Got a list. Didn't care. Dropped down for my city and got a new list. Over and over again. Also doing this a little after midnight ET after numbers have been released back.

But I really think it's old school thinking to think of whatever area code as new and unknown. It's just your 10 digit unique phone number. Once people try it and see oh it's a local call whadyaknow then they put it in their contacts and then really no one cares.

Except for the _really_ new area codes that some providers haven't set up on their systems yet...who cares. It works. They find you.

JMNSHO 🙂

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Is there not at one point on PM number selection that you can ask for last 4 numbers? 

I know that @borntobewild @is looking for an older area code that is more recognizable. Like in the lower mainland in BC....who knows that 236 is a new area code that covers all of BC. I have some ideas to post for @borntobewild   

That can only be done during activation.

@Anonymous wrote:

@borntobewild wrote:

Thank you all for your replies. I checked out the change number but all the numbers in there are using a new area code that know one would recognize. Maybe I will try PM a mod to see if they have any other numbers or talk the wife into transferring one of our land lines. Thank you  again....

You can keep refreshing the short list provided to get new ones. I was in the same thought as you. Looking for familiar area code/prefixes. As I was going through them over a few days I was able to see the odd ones that could be picked up but they weren't very attractive but also I was coming across some kinda-cool numbers of new area code/prefixes. So I actually chose a new one.

No one really cares once they get over it. And really...get those friends/family out of long distance packages and into simply Canada-wide. Like here. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@borntobewild wrote:

Thank you all for your replies. I checked out the change number but all the numbers in there are using a new area code that know one would recognize. Maybe I will try PM a mod to see if they have any other numbers or talk the wife into transferring one of our land lines. Thank you  again....

You can keep refreshing the short list provided to get new ones. I was in the same thought as you. Looking for familiar area code/prefixes. As I was going through them over a few days I was able to see the odd ones that could be picked up but they weren't very attractive but also I was coming across some kinda-cool numbers of new area code/prefixes. So I actually chose a new one.

No one really cares once they get over it. And really...get those friends/family out of long distance packages and into simply Canada-wide. Like here. 🙂

borntobewild

Daps
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@borntobewildIf you're unable to change your number yourself through your account, you can contact moderators for help.

Click on https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/ to get started to submit a ticket to moderators. Enter your question into SIMon. Follow/invent prompts until you get to the Contact Us button, click it and a Submit Ticket button should appear.

@borntobewild 

PM doesn’t give you numbers, they asked you to pick a number from a list that would be local to your area. Obviously there was some confusion there. First I would confirm that the number you have IS NOT a local number in your area. With new area codes and exchanges constantly being launched numbers may not look familiar. And it could be another problem all together that is preventing you from receiving calls. We can provide more insight if we know roughly what area you live in.

AE_Collector

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

1. Reboot phone. 

2. If 1. does not work you can change your number every 30 days free. 

You might have to explain to a mod if the system won’t allow a number change. Do you have a number to port over by any chance. 

I know the selection process for your new number is hard to understand and it is not a function that any one would know well enough from frequent use. It would be so much better if PM asked what postal code you want to call from and then give you a selection of numbers to use. 

Orange arrow on picture below to go with others above that have said. One change per 30 days.

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@borntobewild PM cannot change numbers to make it local. They are based on local area codes. To get a new local number, log in to your self-serve account and click on change number. You are allowed to change your number every 30 days. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@borntobewild wrote:

I tried the stupid bot to fix this but it couldn't understand my problem. So I came here. The phone number that they gave me is a long distance phone number for all business and friends who try and call me on a land line. I would like either the company contact someone to make it a local call in my town or give me a number that is a local call number.

You can do that yourself in the self-serve. Find your province and city and select a number. And you can do that every 30 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.