cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email to SMS text

drh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I haven't made the switch to Public Mobile yet.   I have a question first. 

If my alarm system sends a text to mynumber@msg.telus.com will I receive that text?   (using an Android phone, with data turned off)    

I have found some old posts back in 2016-17 that this worked, but I have a neighhour using PM and he has not received SMS messages I sent this way.   It may be problems with his phone settings.    

I would appreciate somebody testing this.    I also want to confirm that messages (SMS) can be received when wifi is not available and data is not turned on.    Aside from background usage, data service drains my battery quickly but I would like to receive SMS messages very soon after they are sent.   

9 REPLIES 9

I found that email to SMS was unpredictable.  

@drh   honest, I am not sure if email to SMS is a supported feature for PM.  it definitely works , but it could be just one of  those "unadvertised" features that they only provide best effort support

drh

Thanks for the reply - even if my original post was over two years old.    Your response is right on time!  

I did get a PM phone a couple years ago and am very happy with the service and price.    A couple weeks ago the "weekly communication test" of my notification system started failing.    Testing yesterday I found that email to SMS was unpredictable.   Sometimes slow and sometimes not at all.    I ended up setting up a Twilio account so my notifications come from a phone number rather than email to SMS.  This only added about $1.50/month to the cost but is very fast and dependable.    I monitor the alarm system as well as low temperature or water detection at several properties so rock solid dependability is important.    I get notifications on both a PM phone and a Speakout (Rogers) phone and the problems were being experienced with both. 

On a side note, I am using the timer on my phone this morning and the ringtone has changed.   Who knows, maybe Android update was contributing to the problem. 

philip169382
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My Email to SMS stopped working on Jan 23, 2022.  I fixed my issue by clearing blocked phone numbers on my Cell phone. I do not know if it did anything.  I deleted my SMS email address ##########@msg.telus.com at my broker and reset it again.  Messages now come in from phone number 999 999-9999.  It seems that if that number is blocked... inbound SMS email messages may stop working.

I will reset my SMS message address at my other broker.

@drh  same results as @JoyLuck 

Screenshot_20201119_182820.jpg

When you do decide to switch to Public Mobile don't forget to use a referral code for a $10 signup bonus.

Have a good evening!

drh

OK.    19999999999 is just fine.   As long as I get the alert.    

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@drh 

Just as a fiy the text message comes in as being from: +19999999999

drh

oops.    I didn't scroll the screen down far enough to see the last line of your message  haha

drh

Did you sent it to #######@msg.telus.com ?     

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@drh 

I turned data and wifi off on my phone and was able to send an email to my phone as a text message using xxxxxxxxxx@msg.telus.com 

Need Help? Let's chat.