Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i have an iphone 4 and will it work on your system

8 REPLIES 8

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 wrote:

@shaned wrote:

Aftter checking your exact model number for compatibility, you should know that even if your phone is unlocked (which is might not be), the iPhone 4 is running a much older verison of iOS. For the phone to be able to check if your phone is unlocked and a Public Mobile sim card is allowed, you must plug it in to your computer with a USB cable and launch iTunes to run Apple's device activation procedures.

=======

A few months ago Apple issued an upgrade for older iPhones including the 4 and 4s. Any one who has a 4 or 4s needs to do the upgrade. 

Now what  @computergeek541 is saying is to run your iPhone 4 or 4s on iTunes. You need to have iTunes on a computer and you need to attach the phone to computer with your USB to 30 pin cable. Then you FIRST back up the iPhone THEN you do a full restore to the iPhone and patiently wait to the very end of the process and the last screen will say CONGRATULATIONS YOUR IPHONE IS UNLOCKED. Then restore your phone from the backup. 

But there are also a number of reliable online imei checks that can be done to check the stats of the iPhone including if it is unlocked OR if it is not unlocked it may tell you what carrier it is locked to. 

NOTE: The above will NOT unlock your phone. It will only tell you it is, if it is. An iPhone purchased at an Apple store is sold unlocked otherwise you have to contact the original carrier in Canada that sold the phone and request them to unlock it free.  An iPhone from another country may have been sold unlocked as other countries are much further ahead in protecting the consumer as Canada (has not been TIL now). 

@shaned wrote:

Aftter checking your exact model number for compatibility, you should know that even if your phone is unlocked (which it might not be), the iPhone 4 is running a much older verison of iOS. For the phone to be able to check if your phone is unlocked and a Public Mobile sim card is allowed, you must plug it in to your computer with a USB cable and launch iTunes to run Apple's device activation procedures.

iPhoneUser

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@shaned wrote:

@shaned as others have stated, you can definitely use an iPhone 4 or 4S with Public Mobile.  You may want to check which one you actually have: iPhone4-4s.jpg The 4S will pretty much work without much tweaking.  The 4 will require some effort to get data working (see this post), and will work for voice/text, but not MMS on Public Mobile (even if MMS worked on a different carrier).

Also iPhone 4 does NOT have Siri but iPhone 4S does. Both solid phones but I found that iPhone 4 often had soft spongy home buttons. I would suggest iPhone SE or 6S (a larger SE). 

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@shaned wrote:

@shaned as others have stated, you can definitely use an iPhone 4 or 4S with Public Mobile.  You may want to check which one you actually have: iPhone4-4s.jpg The 4S will pretty much work without much tweaking.  The 4 will require some effort to get data working (see this post), and will work for voice/text, but not MMS on Public Mobile (even if MMS worked on a different carrier) -- if you need an explanation of why, see this post.

iPhoneUser

@gblackma wrote:

@shaned I'm using the @iPhoneUser phone . And this time it is about one.

@shaned wrote:

3FE8622A-EE29-4C70-AEA8-EA94AF4E479B.jpegE286C049-AB10-43C9-A6A0-B3A3D5F3E2D4.jpeg

Here you go. Not a wise choice.  Are you sure you have a 4? Not a 4S?

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@shaned wrote:

My understanding is that if an iOS device unlocked and works with other Canadian providers it will likely work with Public Mobile.

There will be some tweaks needed to make it work and maximise the functionality of a device this age. Refer to this excellent information by @CalgaryBen for details: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323118#M24562 

As for the phone number you ask about in the title: As mentioned boldly on the main page, Public Mobile is an online only provider. All support goes through the community here, account related issues will have to be sent to the moderator team, they are the Public Mobile employees.

If over-the-phone support is something that is important to you you have to go elsewhere and pay the according price tag.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@shaned wrote:

There is no phone number for customer support.

This forum is the ideal place to ask your question.

The PM compatibility checker states the following for iPhone 4:

Learn about your phone's compatibility with our network:

• Sub-model:  A1349 CDMA   ====> * this model will not work with PM *
    3G - Device does not support 3G bands
    4G LTE - Device does not support 4G LTE bands
  • Sub-model:  A1332 GSM   ====> * this model will work only with 3G network *
    3G - 850MHz, 1900MHz
    4G LTE - Device does not support 4G LTE bands
Disclaimer   

Public Mobile utilizes the following frequency bands:
4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS)
HSPA: 850 MHz and 1900 MHz (UMTS)

This information is indicative only. Your device's compatibility with our 4G or 4G LTE networks is based on the radio frequencies of your device. Public Mobile does not guarantee that your device will work on our mobile network.

Some international grey market devices may only be able to support hardware connection to some radio frequencies and not others. In these cases, the phone won’t work in the areas with incompatible frequencies.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@shaned I'm using the @iPhoneUser phone . And this time it is about one.

@shaned wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.