cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data usage while in US

canuck44
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I know there is an option to purchase a 10 day roaming package if traveling to the US. My understanding is that this is for talk and text. What about data? If I only plan to use my phone for data (like maps and apps), is this covered by the roaming package? Do I even need the roaming package?

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Luddite I second that, Here WeGo is the best offline map app I've used, very detailed, can look up restaurants, attractions, etc. offline.

@darlicious 

Good eyes…LoL 

Never noticed.

@darlicious heh, you're right - didn't notice that, it is funny. Though I am curious how the OP did... resolved or not.

@BKNS27 @Nezgar 

Lol....the OP has been in the US for 8 days or even back by now. I think they have figured it out by now.🤣🤣🤣

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@canuck44 

I got a Garmin GPS with free lifetime download when I on any road trip with the talk and text in the USA.

@canuck44 wrote:

So I added the $20 plan (talk/text/data). Crossed over the border and turned on roaming. I am not able to use data, somehow. My apps don't work unless I use my passenger's wifi hotspot. Not sure what's going on. Need help asap since I will be losing the hotspot soon and need to find EV charging stations and pay for them with the apps.

A common "miss" when purchasing add-ons with Public Mobile is that if you don't have the funds in your available balance to pay for the desired add-on, you are directed to top up that amount first. After the payment is made, you must go back to actually purchase the add-on using the funds now available in your balance.

Maybe check if you still need to perform the 2nd part?

@canuck44  For next trip look at the app HERE WeGo; maps for USA, Canada, etc. are downloadable and provide offline navigation using your phone's GPS 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@canuck44 : Did your data work here? Is your account active? Did you connect to either AT&T or T-Mobile? Did you turn on mobile data? Can you call and text?

With the EV charging, some chargers let you just scan a credit card without needing any app.

canuck44

So I added the $20 plan (talk/text/data). Crossed over the border and turned on roaming. I am not able to use data, somehow. My apps don't work unless I use my passenger's wifi hotspot. Not sure what's going on. Need help asap since I will be losing the hotspot soon and need to find EV charging stations and pay for them with the apps.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hTideGnow google maps for Android works just fine when maps are predownloaded for offline use. It just doesn't have the Live traffic. Assuming it's the same for iOS.

@canuck44 wrote:

When we moved from the US to Canada, both our phones mapping software no longer worked immediately after crossing the border.

Yes, cos Map on iPhone needs data.  Even Google map needs it if you don't have Mobile Data

Also, I think navigation won't work very well with downloaded map and without data.   You can go to a Wifi spot to start the navigation mode and let the route calculated before the trip, but if you missed a turn on the way, it cannot recalculate.

@canuck44 wrote:

I will only be in the US for 1+ day.

Do you know if Maps, on iPhone, will continue to work if I do not get any supplemental plan?

When we moved from the US to Canada, both our phones mapping software no longer worked immediately after crossing the border.

Apple Maps needs internet.  It can't be used without it.  Install Google Maps and use offline mode after downloading the maps before you need them.

canuck44

I will only be in the US for 1+ day.

Do you know if Maps, on iPhone, will continue to work if I do not get any supplemental plan?

Sorry.. missed the 1GB for 10 days for $20, I was just looking at the US Roaming Bundle column

Personally , I would say if the trip is  within 10 days, this is ok.  If more than 10 days.  The renewal part is kind of trouble, I would definitely look for local prepaid plan instead.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hTideGnow : There's talk only, text only, data only and a couple bundles.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@canuck44 

There are different Roaming packages.

US Roaming - Talk Text (10 days) - $15 is only for Talk and Text

US Roaming - Talk Text 250 Data (10 Day) - $20 is for Talk , Text and Data

Unfortunately, there is no Roaming Data only package.  So, if you need data for Map and App, your only choice is to get the $20

However, I would suggest you to look into US Prepaid plan instead.  It is a cheaper and you get more data.  250MB is not a lot.  The 10 days is trouble if you need it longer than 10 days .

[update: there is a 1GB for 10 days for $20.  The price is reasonable.  but if the trip is longer than 10 days or you are certain you need more than 1GB, then I would check local Prepaid plan instead.]

Anonymous
Not applicable

@canuck44 : You can buy talk only, text only and data only. And of course bundles thereof.

You could kinda actually get away with no cell service if you have lots of wifi available. You could use voip apps like TextNow that do talk and text. Maps can be pre-downloaded and used offline. You won't get mobile navigation of course but the GPS will still work.

Need Help? Let's chat.