cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data is disappearing but I'm on wifi

lrcaron
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have 1 GB of data.  I haven't used it yet as I'm always on wifi.  Every day there is a small amount of data used at a certain time, e.g., 1:44 then exactly an hour later another bit of data is used, e.g., 2:44.  It happens every day at different times.  I have only had this plan for 7 days.  Why is my data disappearing?

23 REPLIES 23

Officejet007

Ensure your wifi connection is stable. Sometimes your wifi may disconnect and it will use your data. This is cause your data to disappear. 

@lrcaron  Its most likely your OS (operating system) the only "app" you can't turn the data off. I can be on wifi all day and a kb might be used. In the whole scheme of things its a miniscule amount.

@tsteeb yes you should always practice doing that. when your phone screen shuts off, your wifi disconnects and then it starts using mobile data.

tsteeb
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have found this happening to me too, I turn off my data when i'm using wifi that way it can't be used unless I turn it on. I find my data being used regardless if i'm on wifi so turning off my data is the best option for me. Hope this helps!

sarfrazkhan1979
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It may be an app setting that links with only mobile data. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lrcaron 

The overview counter is in MB. So if it shows 1,000 MB (roughly) then that comes out to 1 GB. The counter shows 12,345.678 with the decimals being in K. I have read reports of people seeing an increment of 1 K perhaps tied to sending/receiving an MMS even though the MMS could actually be much larger in data volume. While it's not supposed to consume anything, 1 K is pretty much nothing. You'd have to send a million MMS's to consume your 1 GB data bucket.

Then when you turn on data, a temporary buffer is taken by the system. But after turning off data, it gets returned minus any actual data consumption of the phone after like midnight or something. You can manually take it back using airplane mode.

@lrcaron 1kb/day is not much... or do you mean 1mb? if you have an iPhone and use Imessage, that uses your data.

@Naepalm wrote:

@Jb456 really? I notice a slight increase in my data like 5mb every 7 days and I assumed it was because of mms. Because my data is turned off completely. 

So the data that it uses for mms doesnt actually consume data? 

MMS uses data but it doesn't come out of your data plan amount.  If it is coming out of your data plan, it times to get the moderators to look into this. Keep in mind that it's also possible that your phone is doing stuff in the background while MMS is being sent or received.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Can you restrict your data? You can do it globally. In your data usage you can see which apps take the most and restrict turn manually.

Do you have data saver in your settings?

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lrcaron 

@lrcaron wrote:

I have 1 GB of data.  I haven't used it yet as I'm always on wifi.  Every day there is a small amount of data used at a certain time, e.g., 1:44 then exactly an hour later another bit of data is used, e.g., 2:44.  It happens every day at different times.  I have only had this plan for 7 days.  Why is my data disappearing?

I've been with PM, for 5 weeks, and noticed same thing, did every thing members posted here still data keeps dropping, I have iphone turned data saver on, no difference, I just keep my data off at home, when using outside home, data consumption is normal. small convenience for far greater benefits with PM. and Welcome to PM and PM community.

@Jb456 ah thanks for the info as oprah would say,

"and you get a bravo, and you get a bravo!"

lol

@Naepalm  no data is consumed for MMS picture or video. Even people without data on there plan are able to send MMS.

There is a 5 point something MB buffer..when data is on and you open something that connects to data.. you'll see a jump on your account of like 5.46MB (or wtv) ....after a few hours that will drop off if it's not used.. I believe Telus has a 20MB buffer.

lrcaron

Thanks - I will check my apps and turn off my data and wifi assist and see what happens tomorrow.

lrcaron

About a kb a day. I will check my apps and turn off my data and wifi assist and see what happens tomorrow.

@Jb456 really? I notice a slight increase in my data like 5mb every 7 days and I assumed it was because of mms. Because my data is turned off completely. 

So the data that it uses for mms doesnt actually consume data? 

lrcaron

Thanks - I will check my apps and turn off my data and wifi assist and see what happens tomorrow.

@Naepalm  MMS does not count towards data consumption.

lrcaron

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@lrcaron do you send MMS? Thise will take a small amount of data. If you are.only going to use Wifi go into your settings and turn data off completely. Some apps will update and use data instead of wifi. 

Have a good evening. 

@gblackma wrote:

@lrcaron Welcome to PM.  Have you checked your phone to see which app is using the data?  Thanks.  Stay safe. 

Sounds like you have an app running in the background.  I know you say you are on wifi, but what type of phone are you using?  Could you have wifi assist on?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@lrcaron  How much data has disappeared?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Maybe check your phone to see if wifi assist is on or if you have an Android wifi+

Which automatically connects you to data if the wifi signal is weak.

How much data are we talking about?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@lrcaron Welcome to PM.  Have you checked your phone to see which app is using the data?  Thanks.  Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.