cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data block

mjdyck
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi!  I'm just new to public mobile.  Don't have sim card in phone yet.  But with my phone plan, I have chosen no data.  Can a data block be put on my phone so that I can easily send and receive text pictures/videos?  Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

mjdyck

Thank you very much!  Sounds great!

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes it is.  That is, you must turn on data to send/get picture messages.  you do not need to turn data on for simple text messages.  But since there is no reason to turn it off in your case, just leave it on.

mjdyck

Thank you!  Is that SMS and MMS messages?

matbasm

Absolutely nothing to worry about.  You turn on data so that your picture messages go through.  If you do not have a data plan, you will not be charged for data.  You cannot be charge for anything after the fact - because this is a prepaid service.  If you didn't buy data, then you will not be charged for data.

mjdyck

Are you trying to tell me that unlimited texting does not include picture/video texts?

mjdyck

Hi!  I know that my data needs to be turned on to send and receive picture messages.  

I want my data to be turned on at all times to be able to send and receive picture text messages at any time, but not to be charged for using data.  That is what I have from PC Mobile.  
Can I have this on my Public Mobile plan which does not include any data, too?

Thanks!
Melody

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

@mjdyck, Hi there! Sorry for the trouble. You need to turn on the cellular data on your device even if you don't have a data plan in order to send picture messages. You can go in the settings on your phone to turn on the cellular data. Hopefully this helps! 🙂 

wrote:

@mjdyck you can buy a data add-on if you want to send pics and videos through sms. 

Alternatively, you can download a free app like WhatsApp and send pics, video using wifi for free. 

MMS does not require a data plan.  Just text plan will go.  

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@mjdyck you can buy a data add-on if you want to send pics and videos through sms. 

Alternatively, you can download a free app like WhatsApp and send pics, video using wifi for free. 

matbasm

Hi @mjdyck, and welcom to Public Mobile.  At Public Mobile you do not need a data plan to send picture texts (MMS).  You do have to enable data on the phone, since the images are transmitted over the data signals.  You will not be charged anything related to data if you do not have any data plan.  That's one of the advantages of prepaid plans.

Need Help? Let's chat.