cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't send or receive text pictures

JulieRob
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone I'm new here and not very knowledgable with phones.  I'm haveing trouble with my my samsung G730 I just signed up and ported my number from Bell everything works fine except I cant send or recieve pictures through texting.   I have the $25 a month unlimited voice and international text plan which it's supposed to include.  What's wrong and how do I get it working?

19 REPLIES 19

harwoodterry
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I also could not send or receive pictures. I had renetered my APN info several times as per the recommended settings to no avail. Then in reading PJC town hero's solution, I saw that I needed to also change the Authentication Type to "PAP". Once I set this to PAP, it solved the problem and I can send and receive pictures. Thanks!

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Is your data working?

Marie-Sue

I could send and receive text pictures until today. I had set my pohone to a data limit under my actual total data available .once reached, it wouldn't let me send or receive pics anymore. So I changed my data limit to the max I am allowed to use, and it is still not working. 

Marie-Sue

I have the same problem, and it just started. Was working before. 😞 I had set my data to a limit lower than my actual total data, and now I reset it to its max, and it didn't fix the issue. I need to send pictures with my phone 😞

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JulieRob some other resources that might be helpful:

Getting started with Android Messages:  https://support.google.com/messages/answer/6089066?hl=en

How to set your default texting app manually:

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-set-your-default-texting-app-android

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@JulieRob wrote:

how do you do that? change to android messaging app

@JulieRob download it from the play store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging), then open it up and I think it prompts you at that point to make it your default messaging app.  If not, then open up any conversation and try to send a message and it should ask.  Tell it yes.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

JulieRob

how do you do that? change to android messaging app

@srlawren  beat me to it!

One other thing to try is changing to the Android Messages app. Did the trick for me a while ago on Android 5.1...

srlawren

@JulieRob this may sound like a dumb question, but are you connected to a Wi-Fi connection?  If so, could you turn off your Wi-Fi radio temporarily and try again?

JulieRob

Hi my data is turned on and the apn is what it is supposed to  be still no picture text capablility

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bevcormier1958, sounds like your number port did not go through.  You will need to send a private message to the moderator team and ask them to investigate.

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM(EST) & Sat/Sun 9AM-7:30PM(EST)
You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

bevcormier1958
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hi, i ported my # frome bell ,now i can call out but cant receive calls or text both ways can you help me its 2 weeks now and your help to get this fixed would be good news to me thank you

beverly cormier 

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello JulieRob,

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

In order to better assist you, please send us a private message.

Regards

Abdoulaye

jp2

If you are sure that everything is good on your end you can send a private message to the mods to ask them to check their end. 

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

• Please contact the Community Moderator Team to get help with you account.
    • They are Public Mobile support employees who can help with your issue (More details).

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue.

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time]
    • Messages are replied to during office hours, in the order in which they are received
    • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
    • There is no need to send multiple messages.

How can I view my private messages between myself and a Community Moderator

JulieRob

everything is as supposed to be but still dosen't work.  now what?

jp2

The APN settings need to be exact when I joined PM I had the exact same problem as you and it was all because I had a capital letter in the APN because of the phone keyboard auto correction. 

Another thing you could check is ensuring your phone doesn't have a data limit feature which could be blocking it. As @will13am@ mentioned you don't need to worry about overages with PM so it's unnecessary to have it enabled. 

JulieRob

I have checked the apn and whatever else you said and still cant do it?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@JulieRob, this is the official knowledge base article on setting up data on your phone.  MMS uses unmetered data, meaning you don't need to include data in your plan to use it.  However, all the data settings have be entered and mobile data enabled.  Don't worry about actual data consumption.  Since your plan doesn't have it, browsing and other data functions will not work and you will not receive any surprise charges. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-up-Data-APN-on-your-phone/ta-p...

PJC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You will need to have data enabled and make sure you have the correct APN added. 

If you have not added Public Mobile's APN yet, the settings should be

Name: Public Mobile MMS

APN: sp.mb.com

Authentication Type: PAP

APN Type: mms

Need Help? Let's chat.