cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't recieve texts

kyleb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi.  My public mobile phone (my sons), iphone 7, cannot recieve texts from any other phone, including my iphone.  He can only recieve when he is on wifi.  Sending works perfectly.

I have tried some of the suggestions I found on these forums (i.e. report lost then found, remove SIM, restart phone, etc.).  So far nothing has worked.  I'm really at a loss now.  Everything else on the phone, i.e. calling in and out + recieving texts are fine.  

I have iMessage set to on and send as SMS set as well (although sending is not the problem).

I believe this could possibly have been happening since I started my public mobile plan a few months ago, but I didn't think anything of it because I had a basic send/recieve plan and thought I just ran out.. Now I have unlimited, so clearly thats not the case.  I would appreciate any help.

8 REPLIES 8

kyleb

I swapped two SIM cards (one pm and one bell) and was able to receive texts with wifi and cellular off on the both phones. The. When I put the Pm SIM card back into the original phone and tried it again, it worked!!!!  Seems like Something reset. 

thanks for your help with this!!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@kyleb  Have you recently purchased a US Roaming addon for that sim? If yes, that would explain not being able to receive texts. The condition usually resolves itself within 24 hours.

NancyJ

@kyleb 

Check you LTE settings if they're set on voice and data that could be your problem... Set it to data only

@kyleb 

Can you try the SIM card in another phone to determine whether it is a hardware issue versus Public mobile service issue?  

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

How about throwing his sim in a different phone just to see if it starts going?

kyleb

Hi Mayor. Thanks for the quick reply. 

I have have both of those set. Send/receive from my phone number only and send as sms checked. 

And yes yes I have data  as well but tried turning cellular on/off as well as wifi on/off to see if that would work. 

I can send with cellular off and iMessage off and wifi off and still send successfully but other than wifi I can’t receive. Thanks for your help!!

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi There - have you tried a network settings reset?

That might get you going again...

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@kyleb 

Does your PM plan have data?  iMessage sometimes uses data if not on Wifi.  

In your iMessage setting, you can use either your apple ID or phone number

1. Your settings should be:
    • Can be reached by imessage at: Phone Number
    • Start new conversations from: Phone Number
  2. Turn on Send as SMS
Need Help? Let's chat.