cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

callers can't hear me

cfrancoeur21
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is probably going to be a tough one to answer.. but I'm out of options so please help!!

I have recently started having issues with people being able to hear me. I can hear them no problem but they can't hear me. It also doesn't happen with every call. I know of a few people for sure who are unable to hear me that are located in Ontario (I'm in BC) so I thought there was an issue with my long distance, but some of my callers from ON can still hear me...

Then I got a call from a BC number and they also could not hear me.

It doesn't happen every time with some callers, then with others it's every time. It doesn't make a difference if I'm the caller or the one who is being called. I tried switching my SIM but that didn't work, and there's not a problem with the mic on my phone as I can still facetime/facebook messenger call with absolutely no issues.

Does anyone know what may be causing this? I live in BC but have an ON number, so Ii'm wondering if that could be the issue? I don't want to go through the hassle of changing my number though if it won't do anything. Please help!! This has been happening for weeks!! 

25 REPLIES 25

@cfrancoeur21 

There may have been ongoinģ maintenance or system upgrades that in your area that affected your calling. They are either done or stopped for Christmas.....hopefully the issue doesn't return after the holidays are over. @sheytoon  has some great posts explaining how the tech side works.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/LTE-network-fundamentals/m-p/13086...

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@cfrancoeur21 wrote:

Thank you everyone for your help!! I was using 3G and I think some satellites changed as I switched to LTE and now I can call the contacts I wasn’t able to before, and they can hear me! 

thanks all for the suggestions and help!! I’m very happy to be able to call my dad on Christmas. 

This means it wasn't swtiching fast enough to the 3g that if calls were being missed and you had LTE enabled. Changing the settings and being able to hear now is conincidence because all calls are always on 3g. It can't switch to LTE during a call.

cfrancoeur21

Thank you everyone for your help!! I was using 3G and I think some satellites changed as I switched to LTE and now I can call the contacts I wasn’t able to before, and they can hear me! 

thanks all for the suggestions and help!! I’m very happy to be able to call my dad on Christmas. 

@LoreckAvery 

So Apple finally admitted its an issue on their part. Good on you for your persistence. Keep on them for a fix!

LoreckAvery
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have an issue with my iPhone 8plus and calls going straight to voicemail randomly!!! No call log and it will show full bars most times (I’ve been problem solving this for weeks!) 

a fix I found is to force my phone to 3G. Go to settings, cellular, cellular data options, voice and data and force 3G and trial it from there. The only negative is I am not receiving amber alerts now (maybe some think this is a positive). Since doing this every call has worked. 

I switched my sim to my kids iPhone 6 and it worked fine on there’s yet mine would still randomly go straight to vm while they’re sitting side by side. 

brought it to apple twice for service to see what’s wrong and they say there’s nothing wrong with it!! Finally after the sim switched admitted my phone “may be an exception” and their diagnostics are just not picking up the issue 👎.  

hope this helps! 

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@cfrancoeur21  Another experiment would be using the TextNow app with anyone experiencing this issue with you. You could try on wifi and with cellular data. This may help refine whether it's phone or PM service related. 
Also, as it's an iPhone check this https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203792

Hello @cfrancoeur21 ,

humm? yes a tricky one.

Maybe try removing your SIM card and carefully cleaning the "contacts" areas on it. Then gently and lightly blow into the SIM slot. Re-insert your SIM. Reboot.

If issues still persist I would put in a ticket with the moderators. Perhaps a re-provisioning can correct these issues.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators(PM Customer Service Representatives)

Or is your SIM becoming a dud?

It is easy enough to change the SIM card, but once you change the SIM number on your SELF SERVE account you cannot use that previous SIM card. So if still having issues, then you are out the cost of a new SIM.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@cfrancoeur21 

When these people are in different locations. Does everything work as normal? If so, maybe it's at their end.

Check cell tower map.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

But if you have always been in same location. Maybe it is something else...

Have you ever tried speaker phone to see if they could hear you via speaker phone?

See this from Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203792

@cfrancoeur21 wrote:

I have always been in the same location when this happens - but the callers have been from different towns

The idea when it comes to troubleshooting is to try to replicate the problem somewhere else. If it's not repeatable elsewhere that you have your answer about something being wrong or the signal not being good at that one place.

@cfrancoeur21 wrote:

It's happened with multiple callers, but the pattern stays consistent for those callers. For example, my dad can't call me and I can't call him because he can't hear me at all...

If we hang up and call back the same thing happens. I haven't been able to call him and he hasn't been able to call me for weeks now.

What service provider does your dad use? Public Mobile as well? Or a VoIP provider by chance?

Have you tried switching your phone to speakerphone mode when that happens? How about an external headset or bluetooth connection? (or disabling bluetooth)

@cfrancoeur21 

and where would that be?  Nearest major intersection and city/town would be helpful.

cfrancoeur21

I have always been in the same location when this happens - but the callers have been from different towns

cfrancoeur21

I have an iPhone 11!

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@cfrancoeur21 

Also. Does this happen in certain locations? Or all locations?..

I recall a thread a few weeks back that sounded similar. The thing is that Public Mobile uses 3g for calls and data is LTE throttled to 3g speed. So the person was saying I have full bars on my phone (not on a call) . For sure because data uses LTE.

But when they call it uses 3g and the cell towers in the area were minimal in the location. Which affected calling. When they left that area and went to a different town with more cell towers. Calling then works as it should.

If I'm not mistaken they were somewhere in BC as well....

@cfrancoeur21 

What model/make phone do you have?. Possibly an iPhone?..some with iPhones experienced this (not generally on PM but all kinds of cell providers) . Apparently there is a plastic film on certain models that should be removed as it somewhat blocks the microphone..

But anyways it would be useful to provide the model of your phone so we can google search. Goggle is a great place to start if others experience this issue with same phone model....

@cfrancoeur21 

Weird. What is the brand and model of your phone? What is your phone app?

cfrancoeur21

It's happened with multiple callers, but the pattern stays consistent for those callers. For example, my dad can't call me and I can't call him because he can't hear me at all...

If we hang up and call back the same thing happens. I haven't been able to call him and he hasn't been able to call me for weeks now.

cfrancoeur21

I didn't pick up once though and they still didn't hear any ringtone or dialing. Just went to voicemail after a while of silence.

I've tried my SIM card on another phone and the same issue was happening when one caller tried to call me. They still couldn't hear me.

@cfrancoeur21 wrote:

They just hear complete silence.. I haven't received any silent voicemails, but I've tried leaving voicemails and they don't hear anything.

It's so strange

is it always from the same person?  

..and if hang up and call back immediately.. it is ok again?

cfrancoeur21

They just hear complete silence.. I haven't received any silent voicemails, but I've tried leaving voicemails and they don't hear anything.

It's so strange

@cfrancoeur21 

Is it just silence or do they get static or anything else when they cant hear you? My bf's phone has a similar problem. He can hear fine but callers or me get staticky talk....so you know someone is talking but you cant make out what they are saying. Similarily video and voice calls on messenger are unaffected. However i did notice the other day that a voicemail message had a similar staticky message from someone calling with no phone issues and the voicemail being retrieved was from a phone with no issues. Have you noticed any silent voicemails ?

@cfrancoeur21 wrote:

I should also add that when those who have called me can't hear me, they say that my phone didn't even ring before I picked up.

Does anyone know if this is a hardware issue or a service issue?? I tried a different carrier service's SIM card in my phone and the same person called and they could hear me. So it really doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, but I'm not sure...

you pickup before other hear the ring tone.. this is sometime "normal" for long distance call because of the routes.. in your case. you kind of long distance.. because you are in BC with a Ontario number

as you said.. other SIM on your phone no issue, you really should try on another phone with your SIM for 2 weeks.. if no problem, we can confirm it is more a problem on your phone and you should Wipe your phone and re-setup.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

yes.. this is a tough one.

For me.. i would try to try to swap the phone with a family member for a week or two.  See if your PM SIM on phone 2 has the same issue or if your family member using phone 1 got the issue.  

Or simpler, at least get a spare phone and use it with your PM SIM.. 

yes, I know it is painful process.. but you need to do this to confirm if it is a hardware or network problem.  

if it is confirm it might be phone or network issue.  the next thing you might want to wipe your phone and re-setup.  Your mic can be no issue, but the Phone App can be the one to blame and you might need to wipe your phone re-setup 

hope this help

@cfrancoeur21 wrote:

This is probably going to be a tough one to answer.. but I'm out of options so please help!!

I have recently started having issues with people being able to hear me. I can hear them no problem but they can't hear me. It also doesn't happen with every call. I know of a few people for sure who are unable to hear me that are located in Ontario (I'm in BC) so I thought there was an issue with my long distance, but some of my callers from ON can still hear me...

Then I got a call from a BC number and they also could not hear me.

It doesn't happen every time with some callers, then with others it's every time. It doesn't make a difference if I'm the caller or the one who is being called. I tried switching my SIM but that didn't work, and there's not a problem with the mic on my phone as I can still facetime/facebook messenger call with absolutely no issues.

Does anyone know what may be causing this? I live in BC but have an ON number, so Ii'm wondering if that could be the issue? I don't want to go through the hassle of changing my number though if it won't do anything. Please help!! This has been happening for weeks!! 

This type of issue can be difficult to troubleshoot because the symptoms don't always occur. There's also the way to that the issue can be at either Public Mobile or at the other carrier (or the other person's device).  There could also be a intermetient network issue at either the calling or receiving end. Only time will tell for further insight with experimenting with different devices and trying to make the calls while you and the other person are at different locations.

cfrancoeur21

I should also add that when those who have called me can't hear me, they say that my phone didn't even ring before I picked up.

Does anyone know if this is a hardware issue or a service issue?? I tried a different carrier service's SIM card in my phone and the same person called and they could hear me. So it really doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, but I'm not sure...

Need Help? Let's chat.