cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

caller id

dnbwhite
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

when certain Bell landlines call my cell, it shows as no caller id,  bell has said this is because of public mobile needing to update their service?? The said landline(my parents) always showed before, they has their service updated and this happened after? has anyone had this issue before?? Is there a way to get their number to show again?

13 REPLIES 13

@JK8 wrote:

@dnbwhite wrote:

when certain Bell landlines call my cell, it shows as no caller id,  bell has said this is because of public mobile needing to update their service?? The said landline(my parents) always showed before, they has their service updated and this happened after? has anyone had this issue before?? Is there a way to get their number to show again?

Add your parents number to your contact list on your phone.

Adding the parent's number to the contact won't do anything when no phone number is showing up.  Also, calls from Bell landllines would show both a phone number and and even a name when calling a Public Mobile device even if that phone number wasn't already saved.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@dnbwhite wrote:

Bell and Telus are different networks with some different network machinery. Their network-sharing agreement doesn't force them to install, configure, or operate their own network machinery in exactly the same ways. The Bell rep could have been truthful and accurate.

The CRTC and CWTA have all sorts of convoluted (and ever-changing) rules about CIDs, privacy-sensitive stuff is handled a little differently by each of the Big Three. The number slipping through at all is already some kind of network-to-network or network-based fault.

You can't do anything about the networks (except choose which one you subscribe to). You can do some things on your phone. Some phones will display incoming numbers while the call is still "ringing" - sometimes also while the call is in progress - then only display "unknown" or "blocked" or "private" afterwards. The number is known and stored in the phone, it's just designed to be obscured to the UI. Some dialing software does this better or worse than other dialing software. You can try installing different dialing apps, you can compile your own dialer from custom modded source if you'd like to circumvent the undesirable constraints built into consumer software releases.

Your only other option to capture these numbers is to memorize, photograph, screenshot, or write down the number during the short time (usually up to 5 rings, around 35 seconds) it is actually displayed on your device. You can adjust dialer and voicemail settings to extend this time to 9 rings or more, though most callers will hang up after half a minute. Some phones will obstruct screenshots/etc even while they fail to obscure the number from being displayed.

There's usually a "Caller ID" setting or two buried somewhere in the phone settings. I've found them to be ineffective or unpredictable. And these days many phones (not calling out any names like Apple or Samsung or Google) are aggressive about entangling user cloud accounts with real phone numbers. Who knows what's really happening anymore unless you audit everything.

I've observed this "feature" on some phones. I've never found any reviews/etc which compare how it differs across specific phone brands/models or specific software apps/versions.

dnbwhite

thanks, will look into that, but seem to be only to cellphones that is not working

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@dnbwhite there's a good chance that the update changed some settings on their landline to not show their call display. you should check their phone settings to make sure call display block isn't enabled on their phone/plan

*not too sure. maybe bell has a new system feature that cell phone providers will update soon? 

dnbwhite

Didn't work

dnbwhite

thanks will now

@dnbwhite 

Ask your parents to dial *06

That should enable their caller id to be displayed

dnbwhite

Exactly what I was thinking, thank you

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@dnbwhite , caller ID is handled on the calling end.  The number is pushed to the receiving carrier.  If nothing is received, then nothing is displayed.  

dnbwhite

Their number is already in my phone as a contact.

dnbwhite

No it is my parents number, we have contacted bell, they say everything looks good on their end, and suggest it is not their problem. Their phone displayed correctly before they updated their internet, it has been like this now for two months with no fix. they are telling me its the cell phone provider, as it works on bell mobile phones 

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@dnbwhite wrote:

Add your parents number to your contact list on your phone.

@dnbwhite wrote:

Is it possible that some of these people are blocking the outgoing call display?

Need Help? Let's chat.