cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

apps don't work when not connected to WiFi.

tthomas
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

My kid has my old iphone and we both have identical settings on our phones but apps do not work on their phone if the phone is not directly connected to WiFi. Mine does. ex: Google maps - doesn't work in the car. All settings are the same, the phone models are different. Have tried resetting, rebooting, taking out the sim card. I checked the APN and reset it to one recommended on the Public Mobile site but it keeps changing it back to the one I have- which works for me all the time. Not sure what else to do.

17 REPLIES 17

@tthomas 

Is your kid’s iPhone have the latest IOS 14.6 software update?

The iPhone might have an old update.

@tthomas  your own SIM is with PM,too?

I see you said your kid is using your old phone.  Did you try factory reset the iphone?  

I wonder if you want to go to an Apple store with both SIMs with you and have the Apple expert there to look at it..

@tthomas 

From @CalgaryBen 's thread...

"I still can't access the internet!  I've checked that my Carrier Profile is correct, I've got a valid cellular IP address, and I've performed a Network Reset or removed Network Profiles that could be blocking my cellular data from working.  Now what?"

Go to Settings --> Cellular, and then:

1. Make sure Cellular Data is enabled (green background).  Turning Roaming On under Cellular Data Options doesn't hurt (you can't be charged extra for "roaming" on PM without a package, so I like to just leave it on).
  2. Scroll down until you see a list of your apps under "Use Cellular Data for:" or "Cellular Data".  Ensure apps that need to use cellular data are enabled (green background).  For example, if you're testing with Safari or Chrome and not able to access the internet, make sure it's enabled!  If you're trying to conserve data and avoid accidental use, that's fine, but at a minimum I recommend enabling "Find iPhone" since this could be useful for locating your phone in the event it gets lost.  I like to disable App Store just to avoid starting an app update (while in WiFi), forgetting, and then using up cell data when you leave WiFi.  This is a good time to go through and tweak all your other apps, as well.

Now, go back, and test your apps!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@tthomas 

What model of iPhones are your kids using? Were the phones previously used with pm?  You have to set the carrier profile for mobile data to work.

@tthomas 

I thought it might be the wifi connection but if it doesn’t work on some and others work then it could be the app.

Try uninstall the apps that are not work then reinstall the apps. 
Sometime the app is stuck and overworking with the phone getting hot.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tthomas 

If your SIM worked, and theirs didn't, then it's an account issue with Public Mobile because the phone clearly was working okay.  If you're confident that there's data under the My Account self serve, I would create a ticket via the SIMon chatbot (chat bubble, lower-right corner) or message a Moderator (staff) directly here.

tthomas

Hi,

We checked the account to see how much cellular data is being used, they are no where near their limit. 

The apps work with my SIM card in the phone but not theirs. 

tthomas

That was one of the first things I did. Same with resetting the phone. 

The problem seems to be the SIM card as my SIM card works fine when it is in the phone. I can get all apps to work without wireless with my SIM but not theirs.

When I reinstall kids SIM card, apps like google maps and Itunes do not work but some games do.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@tthomas wrote:

Hi,

My kid has my old iphone and we both have identical settings on our phones but apps do not work on their phone if the phone is not directly connected to WiFi. Mine does. ex: Google maps - doesn't work in the car. All settings are the same, the phone models are different. Have tried resetting, rebooting, taking out the sim card. I checked the APN and reset it to one recommended on the Public Mobile site but it keeps changing it back to the one I have- which works for me all the time. Not sure what else to do.

Hello @tthomas 

Have you tried toggling into airplane mode, then back to regular mode to hit the Public Mobile network again?

@tthomas 

Follow @modugnot  instructions if you haven't already read the linked post. It's the same procedure without all the background and history.....unless the iPhone is older than an iPhone 4.

modugnot
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey Thomas.

Sometimes older phones can be glitchy with APN's. I know my old iphone 7 was and I had to install a new profile to get data to work properly. Before trying this, check if Roaming is set to ON. If so, turn it OFF. Next, check in your data settings if the apps you're trying to use have data enabled. You should be able to turn data ON or OFF for each individual app. If data is set to OFF for a given app, of course that app will not work if not connected to Wifi. If data is ON for all apps, you can try this:

Download and install a new APN profile from unlockit.co.nz

1) select Create APN

2) Select country and carrier

3) Press "Create APN".

4) Your phone will be prompted to download a new profile. Accept the download.

5) Install the profile.

6) You should now be able to use your apps without Wifi.

Hope it helps!

T.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@tthomas wrote:

Hi,

@tthomas 

Try a RESET of the Network Settings on the phones and see if that improves anything.

DeltaNumaris
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't know if this is a simple solution.

But there is an area on your phone in which you can turn off mobile data so you don't overuse it a rely on WiFi.

On an Andoid it's in Mobile Data-->Turn On/Off.

On an iOS you go to Settings-->Cellular Data--> Turn On/Off.

If that doesn't work, try synchronizing the phones APN (the one that doesn't work) with the one that works.

An APN is the Cellular Tower Address providing internet to your phone. 

For more info on iOS Troubleshooting, Click here:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph3dd5f213/ios#:~:text=Go%20to%20Settings%20%3E%20Cell....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BKNS27 : I think the OP might be interpreted as that cell data isn't working. The phone seems able to connect to wifi.

@tthomas : Are you with PM? If so, then maybe try your SIM in the phone.

If not, then maybe connect that phone via USB to itunes and check for updates.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@tthomas 

Check your kids iPhone setting under WiFi>On your wifi network-tap “i” and enable Auto-Join.

This will automatically connect to your home wifi if your self serve account shows you still have data in your account.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@tthomas wrote:

Hi,

Look in account to see if all data is gone. If no data amount is shown, your kid used all of it.

Need Help? Let's chat.