cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add on: 400 min of international calling not working

Brandon3
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I purchased 400 min of international calling along with 1 GB of US data for my daughters cell while she is in Florida. The Data is working but i can't call her and she can't call me. Cell phone has been re-set and both of us have tried adding a 1 then the area code when dialing. 

please help.....

15 REPLIES 15

@Brandon3 wrote:

I'll try both getting her to re-start the phone again and selecting a different carrier. then purchasing more add ons... which doesnt make since to me right now because i have already purchased the international minutes, which this calling country to country is.

When it states US roaming for a public mobile user of Canada, does that mean the user while in the US can call only within the US? or International? 

International minutes can only be used when connected to Telus tower, and Telus has no towers in Florida. When you buy roaming, you pay to be connected to att/TMobile tower, as they have deal with Telus.

Did you buy minutes for yourself or her account?

If you bought data roaming for her, she can use that data to talk over VoIP like TextNow or fongo.

If you bought ld minutes for her, she can use it to call outside Canada once she comes back, if you didn't use any and you don't need it, you can ask mods to remove it and credit the money back. 

If she refuses to use fongo/TextNow you can then purchase talk/text add-on

Rehat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That's the correct  bundle, you might end up purchasing  next time. Suggest to check other addons just to have an idea.

U.S. Talk, Text and Data Bundle
Unlimited Talk, International Text and 250MB Data for just $20 for 10 days.
U.S. Talk and Text Bundle
Unlimited Talk and International Text for just $15 for 10 days.
U.S. Talk Only
Unlimited Talk for just $8 for 10 days.
U.S. Text Only
Unlimited International Text for just $8 for 10 days.

The "international calling" is a Long Distance calling add-on that allows a PM phone that is IN Canada to call a US number as well as about 16 other countries. All cell phone plans from any provider need special roaming packages to be usable on other providers networks in other countries. Some Canadian providers have much higher cost plans that automatically include US service but not many do. You aren't the first person to think that International calling works in reverse for a PM phone at an international location but keep in mind that no cell phones work outside of Canada without a roaming package on that phone. Your daughters phone didn't become an international number when she left Canada, it became a Canadian number roaming in the USA.

AE_Collector

@Brandon3 It doesn't expire until used up. You could keep the international add on and use it to call the allowed countries from within Canada. Technically since PM is prepaid, there are no refunds or credits. However, you could contact a moderator and explain your situation.  That you made a mistake and bought the wong add on. Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one.  (CLICK on account specific question and human and submit a ticket)

@Brandon3 wrote:

do i get a credit for the international minutes i purchased? 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Refunds are usually not issued.  You would be better off to just keep it as it does not expire and once the minutes are depeleted then you would need to purchase another one.

Brandon3

do i get a credit for the international minutes i purchased? 

@Brandon3 The roaming means they can call US and Canadian numbers whilst in the US. The international minutes can only be used from within Canada. 

Brandon3

I'll try both getting her to re-start the phone again and selecting a different carrier. then purchasing more add ons... which doesnt make since to me right now because i have already purchased the international minutes, which this calling country to country is.

When it states US roaming for a public mobile user of Canada, does that mean the user while in the US can call only within the US? or International? 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Brandon3 

To receive calls she needs call roaming. You don't need international minutes if she has roaming as you are calling Canadian number

Ask your daughter to install TextNow and pick a free Canadian number, you will be able to talk and text for free as long as she has data and/or access to wifi

@Brandon3 wrote:

I am in Canada and shes in the US. thats why i purchased the 400 min of international. 

If you just want to enable the 10 Day US Roaming talk for her, go back into her account and add the $$ to Available Funds...then go back and buy the 10 Day US Roaming talk add on for $8.

Tell her to restart her phone. She might have to select either of AT&T or T-Mobile.

Good luck.

U.S. Talk Only

@Brandon3 wrote:

I am in Canada and shes in the US. thats why i purchased the 400 min of international. 

You should be able to call her from Canada...but she needs the 10 Day US Roaming Talk add-on to be able to recieve your call.

@Brandon3 your daughter, if she is on the PM network needs to buy a US roaming add on in order to talk to you. Or she could use TextNow (on any cell), or Google hangouts and Google dialer combined (if on android) over WiFi to call you.

@Brandon3 wrote:

Brandon3

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Brandon3 wrote:

I purchased 400 min of international calling along with 1 GB of US data for my daughters cell while she is in Florida. The Data is working but i can't call her and she can't call me. Cell phone has been re-set and both of us have tried adding a 1 then the area code when dialing. 

please help.....

You bought the wrong add-on to call back to Canada. You should have bought the 10 Day US Roaming talk/text/data roaming add-on.

The one you bought only works while the user is in Canada.

U.S. Talk, Text and Data Bundle
Unlimited Talk, International Text and 250MB Data for just $20 for 10 days.
U.S. Talk and Text Bundle
Unlimited Talk and International Text for just $15 for 10 days.
U.S. Talk Only
U.S. Text Only
Unlimited International Text for just $8 for 10 days.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You purchased the incorrect add-on.  The 400 minutes is while you are in Canada.  You would need to purchase a US roaming add-on.  If you just want talk it is $8 and valid for 10 days from purchase.

Need Help? Let's chat.