Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

activating my phone

mommaggy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

21 REPLIES 21

@mimmo wrote:

@darlicious I would avoid private messaging a person and just post the number.  If private messages were the default then the person would get bombarded with messages with the porting number.

Just let mods clean up posts if pm deems  nessisary.

Thanks, @mimmo 

This whole porting number thing has gotten way too much airtime.

@mimmo 

Well I like my posts to hang around so we will have to disagree on this point. The porting number is not like a referral code and if you post that you will send the number privately I hardly think there will be an onslaught of private messages. Unless you have it memorized like I do or quickly accessible to copy and paste I think most won't be bothered to private message it. But if an OP complains that it is an issue I will reconsider my stance.

The overnight loss of 150 bravos just before the end of May last year that caused a badge level drop has convinced me that I for one do not want my posts and possible subsequent bravos/ solutions archived or deleted. I do have to earn my community reward and solutions for me are are not easy to come by.....a mere 11 for February but I'm the only one counting ( who admits it anyhow?!!)

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious I would avoid private messaging a person and just post the number.  If private messages were the default then the person would get bombarded with messages with the porting number.

Just let mods clean up posts if pm deems  nessisary.

@HALIMACS 

This whole thing got me to go searching.....but BTW the original porting department # was changed last year due to the same problem you can't expect them to change it every month!  It used to be...  1 8XX XXX 3587. Anyhow after the original announcement thread by Catherine was pulled that contained the number the new one as pinned to the landing page with this explanation by @popping :

Re: Transferring or Changing your Phone Number
@softech wrote:

... Glad this one comes back.. for some reason, the one from 2 weeks ago was deleted.

If there is issue during Porting, is there still a phone number to call?

That thread must have the port support phone number in one or more posts. PM/Telus/Koodo do not want that number to be access by the general public by doing Google search.  

It was followed by this explanation as to the suggestion of supplying it via private message by you:

Re: Transferring or Changing your Phone Number

@popping @Catherine_T 

Good to re-post this, Catherine T, thank you.  Also thanks to @ShawnC13 for clarifying a similar inquiry from recently.

The toll-free number for porting issues is still out there and they still receive and manage porting problems.

However, it's been misused for items other than it's intended purpose, thus unnecessarily clogging up the service's intended (and limited) purpose.

The suggestion made to me was to Private Message an OP should their issue be strictly porting related, with the clear indication they will ONLY deal with porting-related issues and NOT other account-related matters.   

I believe @ShawnC13  made the suggestion in the original thread about disappearing posts/threads containing the number on or about February 3rd/4th....

Edit: Correction by @Luddite  in the following thread by @esjliv ......

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Community/Removal-of-Porting-Team-phone-number/td-p/6...

Hi @darlicious & @RosieR 

Indeed PM seems to have some level of aversion to this number being used.

First, they literally wiped ALL posts which contained it. (Somewhere around end January??) Then, individual posts would become wiped every other day.   Then, the numbers were edited out (became xxx-xxx-xxxx).   More recently, the number appears to be left alone for the past few weeks.

Thing is, it IS a valid and correct number to be used for porting-related problems so it would appear one of 2 things needs to happen:

1. Public Mobile changes the number and/or makes access to it by ticket# or other identifier -OR-
  2. allow the kind folks who answer the call to be able to respectfully tell non-porting inquiries from users that they are unequipped to help them, then promptly end the call.

It's not rocket science.

@darlicious wrote:

@RosieR @HALIMACS 

You will note that all of the posts containing that number are posted after the the community clean up was done. Whether or not pm decides to do another excising of the forum monthly or quarterly I certainly hope its only posts they archive  rather than entire threads so I am not caught up in the dragnet for the inability of some to send a private message.

While I am not certain if it was @computergeek541 that informed us of this edict or possibly @mimmo or @ShawnC13 perhaps one of them could reiterate what the word from pm was at the time. (Thx ahead of time!)

At one point, Public Mobile did not want the the porting team number distributed at all, although if you looked around the Telus website, the phone number was easily viewable. One day, the phone number started showing up in SIMon and/or the help articles. I do not recall any requests from Public Mobile since that not to share that phone number, but that there was a concern that the phone number was being used incorrrectly for non-porting issues (for which the people there can't help Public Mobile customers with). 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious the number can be given for porting related issues only and when needed.  I will look for the exact phrase when home.  

Will edit this post when I find it

@RosieR @HALIMACS 

You will note that all of the posts containing that number are posted after the the community clean up was done. Whether or not pm decides to do another excising of the forum monthly or quarterly I certainly hope its only posts they archive  rather than entire threads so I am not caught up in the dragnet for the inability of some to send a private message.

While I am not certain if it was @computergeek541 that informed us of this edict or possibly @mimmo or @ShawnC13 perhaps one of them could reiterate what the word from pm was at the time. (Thx ahead of time!)

mommaggy

Thank you

@mommaggy wrote:

Thank you everyone. I unfortunately had an phone with special issues. I I had to contact Samsung to get them to help me through it. All is fixed now and I look forward to my public mobile time.

Hi @mommaggy good to hear that your problem has been resolved.

Welcome to Public Mobile

RosieR

mommaggy

Thank you everyone. I unfortunately had an phone with special issues. I I had to contact Samsung to get them to help me through it. All is fixed now and I look forward to my public mobile time.

Good on you @RosieR for noticing that as well.

Yesterday, I entered the port number into the community search field and noticed several entries from as much as 1 month ago where that number is still present. 

It is still a number that's very much used as I called it a few weeks ago and the person on the other end confirmed it was a valid number for use by public mobile customers with porting issues.

I don't see any reason why it cannot be shared. ( if Public Mobile wants to routinely xxx out the number - then so be it)

Just preface its use by stating explicitly that it is reserved only for porting related matters and not any other account related matters

@darlicious wrote:

@hTideGnow 

We have been asked not to publicly post the porting department phone #. Posts that include it will be deleted.

Right now there are 28 forums posts posting that number including oracles e.g. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Ticket-Sent/m-p/662728/highlight/true...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Incoming-calls-go-direct-to-Voicemail...

@CS_Agent is it time to delete these posts or it is now ok again to post that number?

RosieR

@darlicious .. Thanks Thanks.. will edit it out 😥

@hTideGnow 

We have been asked not to publicly post the porting department phone #. Posts that include it will be deleted.

@mommaggy , you can contact the Porting Department    (EDIT:   like  @darlicious    said...).

@mommaggy wrote:

I sent a text to my previous provider and the account setup was done and then Public sent me a text saying  they are having a problem transferring my number. They were going to contact me but that was 4 hours ago. No call no message on my alternate number and I  cannot continue with my setup.

Is your prior provider service active?  There may be porting issues if the service was inactive.

Please contact the number @darlicious sent you via Private Message.   I don't know the hours of operation so you may need to wait until morning.

Make sure to have the name and account number of the prior service on hand when making the call to the Porting Team.  (EDIT:   like darlicious said...)

Good luck!

@mommaggy 

You will have to contact the moderators by clicking the chat bubble on the bottom right corner of your screen. Type in porting issue and follow the prompts to submit your ticket. As long as its not a port from telus or koodo theres a possibility you can sort this out with the telus porting department. Have your former providers account # ready. Check your private messages for the telus phone #.

mommaggy

I sent a text to my previous provider and the account setup was done and then Public sent me a text saying  they are having a problem transferring my number. They were going to contact me but that was 4 hours ago. No call no message on my alternate number and I  cannot continue with my setup.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@mommaggy....

top of this page, click Activate for step-by-step instruction. We're always here to help if you need us.

Welcome to PM.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

any issue? Please be specific and we can help..

If you have a Public Mobile SIM, you can start from here:

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/portal/activation

Need Help? Let's chat.