cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

accessibility for cell coverage

winter73
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi - 

Thinking of switching from Koodo to Public Mobile and wondering what kind of coverage there is in the east kootenays of BC?

21 REPLIES 21

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@CannonFodder 

Wow sparse by you!!!

And you figure that's my location, based on what? 🤔

@computergeek541 wrote:

Band I isn't used in Canada.

2100mhz is probably "Band 66" "Extended AWS (AWS‑1–3)[" - similar to what Freedom is using for LTE. Maybe 5G...

Edit: and 1700/2100 MHz LTE Band 4 - that makes the most sense actually...

@Nezgar wrote:

It's interesting looking at that map, in the BC lower mainland, although Telus is the primary owner of the towers that Bell shares, there is a small sprinkling of actual Bell towers around... Looks like primarily low power cells in the 1900/2100mhz bands, maybe just to augment 3G voice calling a little here and there...

Band I isn't used in Canada.

@Nezgar wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

This below clearly says the Telus/Bell combo in Saskatchewan is Sasktel's competitor. 

Having built a comprehensive mobile network during the early days of cell phones, SaskTel coverage reaches to most corners of southern Saskatchewan. Bell and Telus share cell towers, and their service is nearly as complete as SaskTel.

Of course they are competitors. Just like Telus and Bell are competitors. But they still have network sharing agreements that allow the physical infrastructure to be owned by one company, but the others can serve their customers as if it was their own network. Hence why a Telus/Koodo/PM phone will show as if it's connected to it's home network, and not roaming in Eastern Canada, the same as my Public Mobile phone shows connected to it's home network in Saskatchewan, even though SaskTel owns the physical infrastructure.

With Public Mobile, you get exactly the same coverage as a SaskTel, Telus, or Bell user because of this.

Looking at the coverage map on Bell's site for instance, they may call it 'nearly complete' because of things like "LTE-M" which is not available yet in Saskatchewan which is meaningless for consumers.

So much conflicting information online!!!! I apologize .....you are correct!!!

The Saskatchewan map predominantly shows all SaskTel and Rogers. 

@LurganIeUk wrote:

This below clearly says the Telus/Bell combo in Saskatchewan is Sasktel's competitor. 

Having built a comprehensive mobile network during the early days of cell phones, SaskTel coverage reaches to most corners of southern Saskatchewan. Bell and Telus share cell towers, and their service is nearly as complete as SaskTel.

Of course they are competitors. Just like Telus and Bell are competitors. But they still have network sharing agreements that allow the physical infrastructure to be owned by one company, but the others can serve their customers as if it was their own network. Hence why a Telus/Koodo/PM phone will show as if it's connected to it's home network, and not roaming in Eastern Canada, the same as my Public Mobile phone shows connected to it's home network in Saskatchewan, even though SaskTel owns the physical infrastructure.

With Public Mobile, you get exactly the same coverage as a SaskTel, Telus, or Bell user because of this.

Looking at the coverage map on Bell's site for instance, they may call it 'nearly complete' because of things like "LTE-M" which is not available yet in Saskatchewan which is meaningless for consumers.

@Nezgar wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Shouldn't it be Telus/Bell Towers?

And SaskTel Towers... (in Saskatchewan) 😉

I would say that is incorrect. SaskTel is owned by the province. I used to have AAA Alarms in Calgary and SaskTel bought them out. They have characteristics of Telus, business model wise. 

It's interesting looking at that map, in the BC lower mainland, although Telus is the primary owner of the towers that Bell shares, there is a small sprinkling of actual Bell towers around... Looks like primarily low power cells in the 1900/2100mhz bands, maybe just to augment 3G voice calling a little here and there...

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

This map may enlighten us a little bit:  Canadian Cell Towers 

I guess I was thinking that any one in Canada will be reading this forum. And I had read that Telus and Bell some times share. But your map, thank you, explains they are placed regionally and don't have Bell/Telus in the SAME region. Telus appears to be in the west and lets Bell use and opposite in the East where Telus will use Bell towers.

Well, if you zoom in on the map, and peruse around the country, you'll find a few of what appear to be Bell towers in the west, and a surprising number of Telus towers in the east.

I like the map....I now know why my reception in the house is on the low bar. 

Yup, same here, i.e. I know why the reception on Rogers' network is better, at our place, than the Telus network.

@CannonFodder wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@ddeep91 wrote:

@winter73 

Public mobile uses TELUS Towers, So you won't notice a difference then Koodo. They are both on the same network.

Cheers 

Not sure what you're getting at there? While Telus & Bell have an infrastructure sharing agreement, and although I don't KNOW the particulars, I suspect that most towers in BC(that this thread is talking about) would be owned by Telus, and shared with Bell, whereas most towers back east(depending on where they're located), are likely owned by Bell, and shared with Telus. This map may enlighten us a little bit:  Canadian Cell Towers 

I guess I was thinking that any one in Canada will be reading this forum. And I had read that Telus and Bell some times share. But your map, thank you, explains they are placed regionally and don't have Bell/Telus in the SAME region. Telus appears to be in the west and lets Bell use and opposite in the East where Telus will use Bell towers. BUT I have not heard or read that SaskTel shares their equipment with Bell or Telus. 

I like the map....I now know why my reception in the house is on the low bar. 

Thanks

@LurganIeUk wrote:

And SaskTel Towers... (in Saskatchewan) 😉

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@ddeep91 wrote:

@winter73 

Public mobile uses TELUS Towers, So you won't notice a difference then Koodo. They are both on the same network.

Cheers 

Not sure what you're getting at there? While Telus & Bell have an infrastructure sharing agreement, and although I don't KNOW the particulars, I suspect that most towers in BC(that this thread is talking about) would be owned by Telus, and shared with Bell, whereas most towers back east(depending on where they're located), are likely owned by Bell, and shared with Telus. This map may enlighten us a little bit:  Canadian Cell Towers 

@ddeep91 wrote:

@winter73 

Cheers 

@NDesai wrote:

While there are disadvantages comparing to Koodo plans, it will come down to savings vs extra features  💸 

(ooooh new emojis 🤑)

Wait a minute, PM slipped another goodie in while I wasn't lookin'!!! 😮 Cool, they appear to be pretty much the same selection(or maybe more varied) as the place I was scoopin' them from up to this point! 😁 👍

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@winter73 wrote:

Hi - 

Thinking of switching from Koodo to Public Mobile and wondering what kind of coverage there is in the east kootenays of BC?

@winter73...We've been using Public Mobile for about 3 years now in both east and west Kootenays. If you had Koodo...you've used the exact same network as PM.

If you are considering PM...you won't regret getting aboard.

😷

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

While there are disadvantages comparing to Koodo plans, it will come down to savings vs extra features  💸 

(ooooh new emojis 🤑)

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@winter73  Koodo uses VoLTE for calling but PM uses strictly 3G for calling. So keep that in mind when making your decision.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@winter73 Telus owns both Koodo and Public Mobile. So you'll be getting the same coverage.

The difference is that PM does not have VoLTE calling, all calls are handled thru 3G network.

And mobile data speed is throttled at 3 Mbps.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@winter73 Ad mentioned above, coverage will be similar to Koodo. You won't notice any difference. If you are coming from prepaid koodo plan, make sure to pick a new number during activation. Message the mod team for request to port in your koodo prepaid number. There is no issue to port in koodo postpaid yourself. 

To contact the mod team, start a conversation with Simon (chat bot) by clicking HERE to submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Be sure to provide as much details as possible so the bot can enter all the info needed to open a ticket.

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@winter73 

Cheers 

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire
Need Help? Let's chat.