cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero Service

WhatHaveIDone
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I signed up, paid up, and SIMed up a couple of days ago, and I am getting nothing in return. My phone thinks it's New Year's Day and I have no phone or text connections. Please tell me that I haven't made a mistake and shouldn't go running back to my old phone company. What should I do?

72 REPLIES 72

WhatHaveIDone

So my son's afraid that if I swap out his SIM for mine that it will mess up his phone - I guess he did that before and lost some info. I bought another Public SIM for another phone (which is still in use) and I haven't used that SIM yet. If I try the new SIM, it is possible that I will mess up the card?

WhatHaveIDone

No luck with that, but it was a good idea.

@WhatHaveIDone Try network reset in the phone network settings

WhatHaveIDone

I've tried that several times, but nothing. Thanks anywho.

Yes it is

Try putting other cards in it

Same happened to me and I removed the prompt didn't get it again until I inserted Rogers sim and it kinda started over. I already started freaking out, that I won't be able to do it now

Sometimes just restarting the phone should get to it.

Those things don't unlicked themselves just like that:)

WhatHaveIDone

Thanks for the link. They responded right away with an unlock code, but the phone is no longer prompting me for an unlock code.

WhatHaveIDone

Thanks, so I chatted with Samsung and they gave me the unlock code, but I am not getting an unlock prompt. So I guess the phone is not locked.

WhatHaveIDone

Didn't do the trick, but thanks.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@WhatHaveIDone , oh no. It sounds horrible. Depending on your phone, have you gone into your settings on your phone > date and time or time > Change to your neck of the woods?

I read on an iPhone, I think its Settings > General Settings > Date and Time > Time Zone

or try > Calendar> Change from to Gregorian

An interesting article since the users on Public Mobile is probably iPhone users

Thanks @CannonFodder , @WhatHaveIDone my phone was the j1 2016 and I had to place the PM  SIM in reverse to what the previous Bell SIM was and it worked immediately .

@gblackma wrote:

@WhatHaveIDone which model Samsung phone do you have?

I hereby direct you to read the previous page in this thread.....

@WhatHaveIDone which model Samsung phone do you have? Is it one of the models where the battery has to be removed for the SIM to be inserted? And the SIM slides in? Ie doesn't dock.  Place the PM SIM in the reverse direction to what the other SIM was. Turn the phone on.

@WhatHaveIDone 

That's actually pretty good news as both previous provider and manufacturer must give it to you.

Manufacturer is your better bet, previous provider customer service always claim it's unlocked, though it may not be the case. Well you saw it yourself.

The fastest experience I had with Samsung is the live chat.

You may be done by the time the second phone is back. Have the device handy when chatting to them. They will ask for IMEI

Best luck

Welcome to public mobile

@WhatHaveIDone  Once you get the unlock code, and try it, let us know if you get the issue resolved.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@WhatHaveIDone wrote:

What is even stranger is that this morning it was saying that it was locked and needed a code and after calling the old company a second time, it no longer asked for the code. It has made no difference to my connection to Public however.

If you phone is locked, you need to enter the unlock code.  There is no remote unlocking for the Android phone.

Only moderator can access your account.  For account related issue, create a moderator support ticket for help using the ? button at the right side bottom corner of this page.

1. Tell SIMon what is the issue
2. Ask for "moderator"
3. SIMon will give your 2 choices. Click on the "Account-specific question"
4. Then, click on "No, I want a human"
5. Click "Submit a ticket"
6. Follow instruction to create support ticket.

At the mean time, wait for your other phone to come back and test your PM SIM card.

Keep us upated on your progress.

@WhatHaveIDone wrote:

What is even stranger is that this morning it was saying that it was locked and needed a code and after calling the old company a second time, it no longer asked for the code. It has made no difference to my connection to Public however.

@WhatHaveIDone Your phone is locked to the previous provider. You must get the Network Unlock PUK code from your previous provider.
If your phone is a Samsung you might be able to get an unlock code from the Samsung website via a chat
To start a live chat session from Samsung's Contact Us page: http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170.

Hope this helps!

@WhatHaveIDone  go to Samsung live chat 

Link here

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/#contact

Ask for Unlock code.

You'll need to give them IMEI number.

Dial *#06# on your phone for IMEI number

@WhatHaveIDone wrote:

Well there you go then - it DOES need an unlock code! Should have said that a while back.

As for it not asking for a code since calling the old company, it could simply be a matter of the timing of what you've done with the phone itself. That is, if you were to shut the phone down, take out the PM SIM, and then turn the phone back on, probably with, or without, the old SIM in it, and then shut it down again, and put the PM SIM back in, then when you turn it on, it may THEN ask for the unlock code.

@WhatHaveIDone  Apparently Samsung is pretty good at providing unlock codes.

WhatHaveIDone

WhatHaveIDone

Samsung J1.

The other phone I was going to try just took off on a a snowmobile, so I will have to try when it gets back.

It's connected to nothing with the Public card in it.

So if the phone's locked, and the old company won't admit it, then what? Pay $ for someone else to unlock it?

@kselmak wrote:

@CannonFodder 

Some phones lock themselves to previous providers, when you call customer service they will tell you 'no, the phone is unlocked' and some phones don't ask for the code.

The phone will lock itself, and then when inserting a SIM from another provider, NOT pop up some sort of message, even remotely indicating it MIGHT be locked!? 😮  Hmmm, never heard of that..... in that case, it could then be a case of having to contact the previous provider, and INSIST on receiving an unlock code, even if they say it's unlocked already, OR contacting the phone manufacturer for the code. And I suppose, to be sure it's that, the SIM in question here, needs to be tried in another phone.

@CannonFodder 

Some phones lock themselves to previous providers, when you call customer service they will tell you 'no, the phone is unlocked' and some phones don't ask for the code.

Before contacting moderators who can't help with that, it's best to be sure first

@WhatHaveIDone wrote:

I'm already paid up for the month.

Care to tell us model of phone? Is it unlocked? 

When you put sim in the phone is there any indication it's connected to Public Mobile? 

Do you have another phone lying around to see if your service works on it? So that we can determine if it's a hardware issue or moderator issue?

WhatHaveIDone

I'm already paid up for the month.

Yeah, it DOES seem rather odd - the phone is compatible, the old provider's SIM no longer works, the account is active, and shows the $2 autopay reward..... seems like either a dead SIM, or the OP is in need of a Moderator.

@WhatHaveIDone wrote:

I can try it in a different phone.

That's great, just make sure it's Telus or Koodo phone for sure, you can try it in 100s Rogers phones without being able to be sure. If family or friends don't have it, Koodo stores do for sure

Do you have access to a phone that worked with Telus before for sure.

If you can put your sim in one to check if sim is dead or not

WhatHaveIDone

I can try it in a different phone.

WhatHaveIDone

It's on the compatibility list.

Need Help? Let's chat.