cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouMail Visual Voicemail

photosbydan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm looking to set up Visual Voicemail (voicemail to text) using the free service YouMail.

I've set up call forwarding on my Android and it works, but the voicemail service isn't working properly because Public Mobile is not forwarding the OCN (Original Called Number). 

Has anyone else set up YouMail with PM? Any tech people know how to get that information sent over with the call?

60 REPLIES 60

@JonnyT- So I tried it in another phone. Settings or dial code fail. This phone is unable to do volte anyway. I highly doubt they've done anything to my account to disable volte and call forwarding. I'm pretty sure it's about the device but now this on another device.

Dang I hate Telus/Public for using a whitelist to enable volte. It just sucks.

So they refuse to enable it and call forwarding doesn't work. Another device, still doesn't work when volte shouldn't be the factor. This just sucks.

JonnyT
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No, you misunderstood my post.  The iPhone trick worked UNTIL the sim went back into the real phone.  In other words it DOESN'T work.

I tried John-q-public's approach as well (both back when this started and again today) and it doesn't work for my phone.

John-Q-Public

@hTideGnow, it IS working for me. I have tested it successfully.

Sorry if that was not clear from my message.

hi @JonnyT so phone with VoLTE enabled and working will have the conditional forwarding??

@JonnyT- Ah yes that makes sense when it goes back into the original phone. I'll verify that. Sounds a lot like when hitting a US tower and custom call forwarding breaks. But then I'll be ending up putting it in another phone anyway as I'll be out of range tomorrow and I'll set up forwarding to a voip app.

JonnyT

I suggested that and the technician I talked to said he'd tried it with someone and it didn't work.  They put their sim in an iPhone, set it up, tested it, it worked.  Moved the sim back to their real phone, it immediately stopped working.  I didn't try it myself though.  If it works for you, let me know, and I'll give it a try.

@JonnyT- I asked about call forwarding and was told it was entirely to do with volte. The company continues to refuse to enable volte on my device. So that means call forwarding will never work. Even though it used to. Even though volte does in fact work on my device. They still refuse.

They suggested a workaround of putting the sim in another phone and setting the call forwarding options from there. Stupid. I haven't tried it yet. Shortly.

JonnyT

You mail has worked for me on Public Mobile for several years and suddenly stopped a couple months ago.  Eventually my ticket got bumped to a technician.  It turns out that Telus retired one of their network protocols.  I have a non-flagship phone (Pixel 5a) and apparently that was the network it was using and now its being forced to use an even older protocol.  Unfortunately I forget the names.  This protocol doesn't support conditional call forwarding so YouMail is a straight no-go for my phone.  This applies to any phones that were relying on that particular protocol.  He said newer phones and older flagships should continue to work.

SteveKincade

Actually, I tried all methods and all failed. It is resolved by getting this bumped up to Telus support and they tracked it down to a programming error. Don't know what they did, but all is well now. 

I hope your information helps others.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Visual Voicemail may have been something public offered at one point in history, but it is not something available with public any longer.

Glad you found a happy work around @John-Q-Public   👍

HI @John-Q-Public   but it is not working not, right? PM still have conditional forward broken , right?

John-Q-Public

Keeping this thread alive, because a) PM VM sux, and b) YouMail rocks!

I started using YouMail when Visual Voicemail 'broke' for me, and PM couldn't fix it (despite their best efforts, lots of calls, nice people, escalation, etc)

Some important facts before I post these instructions I hope will help some:

1) I am on an iPhone (8). YMMV on Android and others (are there others, anymore?)

2) I am on 3G (a prepaid plan)

3) I am using the Free YouMail. Works great for me, I get alerts on my app as well as via email.

4) As you can see, I am cheap, er, frugal 😉

OK, so to set up call forwarding (on an iPhone), dial one or more of the following numbers, individually as needed:

(replace [number] with your YouMail deposit number; note, this can be any other number to which you wish to forward calls)
Unconditional *21*[number]#
No reply *61*[number]#
Not reachable *62*[number]#
Busy *67*[number]#
For instance, if your YouMail number is 514-123-4567:
*61*5141234567#
*62*5141234567#
*67*5141234567#

To set the number of rings by setting the time in seconds (~6 secs per ring, so 24=4 rings, 18=3, 30=5)

**61*[number]*11*??# (??=number of seconds) (this is for No reply; repeat for others, as needed)

Another way, which I have not yet fully vetted:

*004*[number]*??# 

Hope this helps!

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The free version of youmail works great for me, and it doesn't use my minutes.

-download the app

-setup your account

-confirm your email

-enter your phone number (your carrier should be shown as Telus)

-set the call forwarding number exactly as they show you (mine is sent to a number in my BC area code)

-click the Test button (they warn you not to answer your phone during the test)

-you're done

The whole thing took me about 5 minutes.  The transcriptions I have received so far are perfect.

Reading (or listening to) and deleting your messages through the app is so much easier than the carrier email systems.

Katt

Unforunately yes. In my usage. It is subtracted from my 50 minutes. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Katt wrote:

Hi all, this was a superb suggestion! I've downloaded YouMail right away and started using it.  Unforunately, this system uses up my minutes.  Does anyone have the same issue?? If that's the case, then I might as well continue calling my VM using my minutes. 

What matters is whether all those outgoing calls increment the overview page counter.

Katt

Hi all, this was a superb suggestion! I've downloaded YouMail right away and started using it.  Unforunately, this system uses up my minutes.  Does anyone have the same issue?? If that's the case, then I might as well continue calling my VM using my minutes.  Capture.JPG

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Happy to see this thread is alive and people are still setting up YouMail.

The free version should work just fine. I have been using it for years.

YouMail is a must for me because of the lack of international roaming with Public Mobile. It really comes in handy when traveling outside of the US/Canada. 

ggrimard
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes I recommend.   It’s better than the stock voicemail. Easy to set up and use. 

SteveKincade

Yes, to confirm, YouMail was super easy to set up and I have an awesome voicemail service. I would recommend this to everyone as it was the one feature that was lacking when you have any amount of voicemail.

ggrimard

Not sure if they enabled the correct OCN settings or not... I just tried youmail again today and it works!   I have a plan that has free calling to the usa and canada not sure if that made a difference...   It working for me as of today!

Scuth

yep, it works fine.

You might need Youmail premium.

Scuth

I just set it up using the instructions for setting up with Telus Mobile. Works fine. Note that I am on Youmail Premium. I'm guessing the premium version is required as it gives you your own independent voicemail number. I could be wrong.

JonnyT

I used Telus.  You don't need to call them like it says, just dial the number.  The number you dial will be different with the paid vs free plan.

SteveKincade

Okay, I am starting to understnd. Now, what do you use for a carrier?

Public Mobile is not listed as a choice.

JonnyT

No, you get a personal forwarding number with YouMail if you get the paid account.  I now have YouMail working with Public Mobile with my same phone number.

SteveKincade

So, you got a new number. As in not a Public Mobile number. 
All you had to do was leave Public Mobile. Hmmm

JonnyT

I can confirm that the paid account works and free doesn't.

It tried with the free account and number YouMail fails with the OCN missing error.

I signed up for the $5/mo plan, tried with the new personal number they provided me and now it works.

You can cancel the $5/mo in the first 30 days for a full refund, so you can always give it a try to make sure it works.

SteveKincade

Interesting. 

I went ahead and installed it but it detected AT&T. That failed. I then set it to Telus Mobility and it asked mt to call telus at a 800 number to disable the call forward. Can see that working but did not bother to try. I went into my phone and tried to update the main voicemail number, but it failed. 

Not too sure how you got it to accept Telus with no instructions. Maybe it is because I am in New Brunswick. 

photosbydan

@koimr1 Yes, to get the service working, you can sign up for YouMail's $5/mo premium service and have a dedicated voicemail number for your visual voicemail.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just skimmed the thread so apologies if I missed it but can't you still pay for their premium service to use this?

Need Help? Let's chat.