cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouMail Visual Voicemail

photosbydan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm looking to set up Visual Voicemail (voicemail to text) using the free service YouMail.

I've set up call forwarding on my Android and it works, but the voicemail service isn't working properly because Public Mobile is not forwarding the OCN (Original Called Number). 

Has anyone else set up YouMail with PM? Any tech people know how to get that information sent over with the call?

60 REPLIES 60

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

that sucks, i had high hope for it.

photosbydan

@Acekiller Yeah, it looks like somehow @imm1304 caught a fluke and got it working, the rest of us it seems are out of luck. I was also unable to verify, and calls being sent to their local voicemail number don't have the information to route it to an individual mailbox.

Acekiller

The number that I got was 780 8000452 and it DOESN'T work.... Couldn't get it to verify.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@photosbydan, I have a 416 number.  I didn't do anything special.. just signed up to test if it would work or not and it just worked.  

Logically speaking, phone (android/apple) shouldn't matter and the area code shouldn't matter either as long as its from the same province because most of us are on provincewide calling plans.

All said and done, its sad that it worked for me and not you guys.  I am actually disabling it as I have no use for it anymore.  I use fongo app when I am out of country and just forward my PM number to my fongo number.  Fongo has similarl voicemail and I also get the call log so I know who called me and can choose to call back if an important number was calling me.  Other than out of country travel, I just stick with the voicemail that PM offers.  

photosbydan

Strange, not sure how you got it working. YouMail provided me with a different number to use for the call forwarding service (6476941780) and it does not work. @imm1304 I assume you have a 416 phone number, and that's why your YouMail number is also a 416, whereas my number is 647.

I had used YouMail years ago while on Wind and Rogers, worked well then. Maybe I'll try with a whole new account on YouMail.

imm1304

If you really want to make it work, disable by dialing ##004#

Uninstall the app.

Sign into your account from a web browser, I used my laptop to sign up.

In you youmail account, go to settings and then click on the phone tab.  Set it up from there. Dial the *004* code again to activate call forwarding.  Click on test.  It should be successful if this worked.  Now install the youmail app.  This is how I did it.. not on purpose but just how it was convenient for me as I was already working on something on my laptop when I decided to test this.  

shawnie_boy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

wow, this is making no sense.

imm1304

@shawnie_boy wrote:

What is the number after *004* that you are dialing. For the free version everyone dials same number 800-1111. If you are not dialing that you must have the paid version on free trial. Paid version gives dedicated number so ocn not required. 

I dialled the same number.. *004*4168001111#

shawnie_boy

What is the number after *004* that you are dialing. For the free version everyone dials same number 800-1111. If you are not dialing that you must have the paid version on free trial. Paid version gives dedicated number so ocn not required. 

shawnie_boy

Very strange 

imm1304

@shawnie_boy wrote:

Do you pay for the YouMail?

No.  I don't really rely on voicemails in general.  

So I just signed up last night for their free service just to test for the original poster of this thread because I had used this service 2 years ago and knew it was working back then.  

shawnie_boy

Do you pay for the YouMail?

imm1304

@shawnie_boy wrote:

Ok just did it and when I call to get to voicemail it says ocn not activated enter number you were calling

I am not sure what can be done to fix that.  Did you sign into the youmail app and set up the phone as directed followed by a test to verify?    

Try to talk to someone at youmail live chat.  Tell them you are on Telus network and it works for others on Telus.  I am 90% sure that PM doesn't do anything to block the various call forwarding features that are present on the Telus netwrok by default.  I have used the various Telus call forwarding codes in the past just to play around and they all worked too.. just google it and you will get the page with Telus call forwarding codes on a Telus webpage.

shawnie_boy

Ok just did it and when I call to get to voicemail it says ocn not activated enter number you were calling

imm1304

Hey @shawnie_boy,

Just skip the first step where it tells you to call your carrier and disable voicemail.  No need for that step.

Go ahead with the step where it says dial *004*416******# to activate conditional call forwarding.  It will work just fine.  I just did this yesterday to test so I can confirm PM is fully compatible with Youmail voicemail.  

shawnie_boy

iPhone and public mobile. I ask because it states to call carrier first to deactivate voicemail and make sure conditional forwarding is on, then type in code to dial 

@shawnie_boy wrote:

Does this work on iPhone 

Yes it does, take a look at the website 😉

shawnie_boy

Does this work on iPhone 

denkom

Nice, thanks for letting us know @imm1304

I'll have to try it out 🙂

Acekiller

interesting!  I am going to try this out myself!

imm1304

@Someone_here,

Its working properly as it should at least for me.  Not getting any prompts to enter my number.  Phone rang when I called... after 5 rings, the youmail voicemail gretting played.  I left a test message.  Instantly got notification on my phone and via email.  

Called my cell from home phone again, this time I rejected call after 2 rings from my cell.  Promptly went to youmail again.  

Switched off my cell, called it and the call went to youmail.  

@imm1304 

When you called yourself from home, did you got "a message asking you to reenter the number you originally dialed"?

imm1304

Hi @photosbydan!

Having used Youmail extensivley in the past, it struck me as odd that you are having difficulty with this service.  So, I went ahead and set it up on my public mobile phone few minutes ago.  

I can confirm that Youmail works perfectly fine.  The app detected "Telus" as my carrier and  sent an sms to verify my number.  Then gave me instructions to dial the *004*(phone number)# code to activate conditional call forwarding.   Sent a test call and left voicemail.  Then I called myself from home number and sure enough, the calls go to youmail inbox.  

denkom

That’s too bad 😞

pratchak

Thanks for the confirmation. 

photosbydan

For the record, I've been messaging the moderators, and had the following response:

"I just talked with the technical support team... I asked them about OCN information and we don't have it unfortunately."

So, no visual voicemail (at least from YouMail or Public Mobile) for the time being!

photosbydan

I used YouMail with Wind(Freedom) and Rogers, worked well on both! Nice message that greets your callers by name, and the voice to text works really well. Hope to see something from Public Mobile.

denkom

Wow this app seems pretty cool. I'd definitely be interested in using it as well. Hopefully somebody in the community can share a solution 🙂

photosbydan

maybe a mod can shed some light? @CS_Agent

I read some old threads on this, but never found any solid answers.

smp99

Sorry can't help, but interesting. Looks like YouMail have the same graphic artist as PublicMobile - similar style

Need Help? Let's chat.