cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong area code when picking new number

nomyurhomy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I am just in the process of setting up my sim card, but when i got to the option for picking a  new number, the area number for Calgary are all wrong.  I am getting a 825 and 705 area code?  I clicked on Edmonton and some other areas and they seem to have the right area code for that area.  Any idea why Calgary is showing like that? 

Thanks,

Nomy

6 REPLIES 6

@slash407 

Just as an FYI

If system does bug out, it usually (in the few times I have witnessed it) is assigning you someone elses number

So the Mods will step in and remove the number in a day or so to give back to original person

@slash407 wrote:

o wow, would have it worked

OP, u can change ur number every month if that helps. You can also refresh number to get a new batch to choose from

I have seen it (also seen system try to assign numbers without area codes)

Bug I am sure

I have as screen shot I sent to mods before where a 416 area code was assigned as being in Calgary lol

number.jpg

@will13am wrote:

@nomyurhomy, these are valid Alberta area codes.  The more "popular" area codes such as 403 are likely fully subscribed with none left in the Public Mobile reserve.  Usually the major brands will have greater access to the older area codes.  As an example, in the GTA, Public Mobile is issuing 437 area code numbers while Rogers has a limited number of 416 area code available.  Not much you can do about this situation, unless you want to go to a different carrier to bring a number over. 

Edit:  Area code 705 is a Northern Ontario area code.  Was this a typo?  I have never experienced an improper area code assignment. 

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@nomyurhomy 

825 IS a Calgary area code

705 is an ONTARIO area code

@nomyurhomy wrote:

Hi,

I am just in the process of setting up my sim card, but when i got to the option for picking a  new number, the area number for Calgary are all wrong.  I am getting a 825 and 705 area code?  I clicked on Edmonton and some other areas and they seem to have the right area code for that area.  Any idea why Calgary is showing like that? 

Thanks,

Nomy

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Some carriers still have a better selection of phone numbers.  You can choose them, and get a better number.  Then port that number to Public Mobile.

With Bell and their flankers, you can get a prepaid SIM card for a buck on eBay.  Activate the account, and once you have a phone number you like, yuo got 30 days to port out to Public Mobile. 

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@nomyurhomy wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Nomy

825-205 and 825-210 are Calgary numbers given by Telus. Those are not wrong.  Take one of those numbers.

705 area code is Ontario.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@nomyurhomy, these are valid Alberta area codes.  The more "popular" area codes such as 403 are likely fully subscribed with none left in the Public Mobile reserve.  Usually the major brands will have greater access to the older area codes.  As an example, in the GTA, Public Mobile is issuing 437 area code numbers while Rogers has a limited number of 416 area code available.  Not much you can do about this situation, unless you want to go to a different carrier to bring a number over. 

Edit:  Area code 705 is a Northern Ontario area code.  Was this a typo?  I have never experienced an improper area code assignment. 

Need Help? Let's chat.