cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will PM offer international roaming beside US?

johnzx
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

One of my referred friends left PM because of lacking international roaming.

A small amount monthly based international roaming fee addon is acceptable, but if it is free like other provider will be greater.

11 REPLIES 11

johnzx

Thanks for the TextNow App, it is a good workaround.

The key point of this thread is kindly telling PM some users like me wish the international roaming option, because I have PM as my only cell provider now. I really hope PM gets stronger.

@johnzx wrote:

Someone like me need a cell phone number for two-factor authentication, I don't actually need to recieve or make a call, or crazy expensive roaming data, but being able to recieve text message is real useful when I am out of Canada.

Download textnow app. You'll get a free Canadian number in your area that will allow you to text and call for free over WIFI to Canada and USA numbers.

People  can also call / text you and even leave you voicemail when you're not online.

johnzx

Someone like me need a cell phone number for two-factor authentication, I don't actually need to recieve or make a call, or crazy expensive roaming data, but being able to recieve text message is real useful when I am out of Canada.

johnzx

I used own a WIND prepaid number, recieving text is always free anywhere and only has per-usage charge for roaming.

DonForgo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The cost is too great, and it doesn't fall inline with Public Mobile's target market, I doubt it.

If you are using Public Mobile, then you have an unlocked phone, it's so much more economical to purchase a local temp SIM to use. 

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Doubtful that PM will offer I- Roaming anytime soon. Only US roaming offered thus far. Other carriers offer I-Roaming.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@johnzx wrote:

A small amount monthly based international roaming fee addon is acceptable, but if it is free like other provider will be greater.

PM is a 3rd tier cell providing basic cell service for domestic use. The only roaming is a 10 Day US roaming option.

Nobody sees that philosophy changing anytime soon. If international roaming is required, PM's parent company (Telus) could likely accomodate or an international roaming sim from someone else.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @johnzx 

I'm curious who is offering small amount for international roaming.

Everyone I know ended up spending a LOT while roaming overseas, nobody repeats such mistake specially since local sims are so easy to obtain at the newspaper stands and cost fraction of our cheapest plans. I advise everyone I know to get textNow app and use it with local data, p they can forward their public mobile calls to TextNow. Too bad tough can't forward texts that way

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM would need to have partnership agreements with other providers like they have in the US with T-Mobile and AT&T.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@johnzx wrote:

@johnzx  Who offers free international roaming?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@johnzx wrote:

Only PM will know whether they will offer international roaming.  But it will be expensive outside North America

Need Help? Let's chat.