cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will My Phone Work on Public Mobile? How to Check For Sure

ipipapap
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

First and foremost, your phone needs to be unlocked.

Then, you would probably proceed to the Get Started page, enter your IMEI number (dialing *#06# on your phone will reveal it), only to receive a message like this:

Your device should work on our Network. Your device has not been reported as lost or stolen.

Question: Well, how do you know for sure?

Solution: A useful website willmyphonework.net can quickly show you whether a phone will work on your operator's network and which network bands it will cover. Just head to the site, use the drop-downs to select your phone (be sure to get the exact model number), your country and your network, and it will then show you how it will manage 2G, 3G and 4G connections. Most phones will have different versions (North American, European, Asian, etc.) with varying frequencies depending on the country of origin. Frequency Check also provides similar service, but I find the former to be more well-organized.

4 REPLIES 4

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@ipipapap wrote:

First and foremost, your phone needs to be unlocked.

@ipipapap  this is incorrect you can also use devices locked to the Telus/Koodo network as they are all the same

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ipipapap

You can, but it's not always correct.

My mom entered her IMEI, and it displayed "Your device should work on our Network," so I went ahead and helped her switch to Public Mobile. However, it is only after I ported her number, encountered issues, and researched more to do troubleshooting that I realized her phone doesn't actually work. 

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/ZNBlH6g/xiaomi-hongmi-redmi-dual-sim-2013023-xi...

I ended up buying a new phone for her.

AndreLaranjeiro
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Cant you just check on the bottom of this page?

ipipapap

*#*#4636#*#* toggles a "Testing" menu that shows other detailed information about your phone, but I'm not too sure what to derive from this

Need Help? Let's chat.