cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I lose my number if I am away from Canada for couple of months

skotte
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello everybody

I am planning to go on a vacation to India for couple of months.

Since PM doesn't offer roaming in India, I will be off the network for two months.

Will this cause my number to be canceled. I don't want to lose the PM number and would like to continue using the same number once I am back to Canada.

Appreciate any info on this one.

10 REPLIES 10

@softech wrote:

@skotte wrote:

Hello everybody

Since PM doesn't offer roaming in India, I will be off the network for two months.

Will this cause my number to be canceled. I don't want to lose the PM number and would like to continue using the same number once I am back to Canada.

2 months are ok as long as it's not more than 90 days. 

If you are extending your trip, make sure you logon My Account no later than 85th day, manually pay once.  Make sure payment goes through and Account status change back to Active.  This will extend it for 120 days (30 days for the cycle you paid + another 90 days)

Good point....extended.....have a plan in case of covid or.....that may force you to extend your trip. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Triguy 

Still? Would you do this?

@darlicious OP mentioned being on vacation for a couple of months so they could possibly be over the 90 day period.

@Triguy 

Well that hasn't been suggested yet but why would the OP want to do that? They can suspend their account and not pay for services and even retain voicemail at no cost. They keep their plan, their rewards and any promotions, add ons or account balance they may have.....or they can go thru the hassle and expense of porting their number out only to port it back in 2 months later? 🤔Hmmm...

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can port your phone number over to Fongo but you would be charged $25.  Upon your return then port it back to PM

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/How-to-keep-phone-number-while-liv...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@skotte 

What Happens When You Miss A Payment

If you miss a payment due date, your account will be put into a suspended state, meaning you will be unable to use your phone services. You will have up to 90 days to make a payment, and after doing so your payment cycle with restart and your service will resume. After 90 days, suspended accounts are permanently deactivated, which means you will:

• Lose access to your phone number, and won’t be able to transfer it to a new provider in the future.
  • Need a new Public Mobile SIM card if you decide to activate a new Public Mobile account.

For more info about Missed a payment (publicmobile.ca)

i advise you take out your autopay for now and put it back after 86 day and pay for lower plan and when you come back to canada put it a right plan for what you like it. or change plan to $15 -$2 autopay - your rewards= $$ plus tax, to you save your number.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@skotte 

Here are your options:

1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. Moderator/CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your fongo number  before you leave Canada.. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your fongo number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your fongo voicemail for all voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy travels!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@skotte wrote:

Hello everybody

2 months are ok as long as it's not more than 90 days. 

If you are extending your trip, make sure you logon My Account no later than 85th day, manually pay once.  Make sure payment goes through and Account status change back to Active.  This will extend it for 120 days (30 days for the cycle you paid + another 90 days)

Tiprix
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@skotte 

If you have autopay, then you shouldn't worry, you won't lose your number. 

To save while you are away, you can go for a lower cost plan or if you want to go through the non-payment route, make sure to pay on your return, if your account is not payed for 90 days, it will be deactivated. That means you’ll lose your phone number and any Rewards you’ve earned.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@skotte : Accounts can be reactivated from suspension for up to 90 days. So turn off autopay before your last renewal or put the account into suspension under the Lost/stolen tab.

Need Help? Let's chat.