cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Hotspot Does not Work

Koosha
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I can not connect my computer to the internet by using my phone wifi since I have bought a public mobile sim card.

When I activate wifi hotspot of my phone, my computer connects with its internet, but the web browser says you're offline.

I put the sim card in my older phone and activated wifi hotspot and the computer connected to the internet. I don't know why it doesn't work with my motorola.

Please help. I need internet connection on my computer. Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

Luggruff
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@canada168 wrote:

tethering not work,  try all mentioned this thread.  Mine is Nexus 5 on androit 6.0

My solution didn't have anything to do with my phone at all (S9+). The solution for me:
I simply right clicked the WiFi-icon on my laptop and clicked 'Troubleshoot problems'. Windows (10 pro) suggested that I needed to enable 'DHCP for "Wi-Fi"' (which requires admin rights on the PC), so I did. Then it worked instantly!

Also note that USB-tethering worked fine. It was only the Wi-Fi Tethering that didn't work for me.

What I tried before that (that did absolutely nothing😞

• Go to settings
  • Then connections
  • Then 'Mobile Networks'
  • Tapped 'Access Point Names'
  • Tapped the profile in use
  • Scrolled down and changed the setting 'APN Type' (Not 'APN') to 'default,dun' without the quotes as suggested by OP.
  • Also tried modifying to 'default,supl,mms,dun' as suggested here
  • Scrolled down and changed the setting 'Mobile virtual network operator type' to 'IMSI' as suggested above by MissMenita
  • Tried all combinations of secure/unsecure, hidden/unhidden, allowed devices (with the MAC-address of my laptop) on and off, 'Use 5 Ghz band when available' option, in the WiFi hotspot settings.
  • Tried restarting phone and also forgetting the network completely on my laptop
  • Tried choosing "Yes" and "No" on the prompt about home/public networks when connecting on my laptop
  • All of the three last points in every order imaginable
  • Tried the suggestion above about creating a new APN profile in my network settings.

canada168
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

tethering not work,  try all mentioned this thread.  Mine is Nexus 5 on androit 6.0

mangler

RohanRon settings do not work for me. The AP seems to work fine, and I can connect to it, but it says internet not connected and I have no internet access. If I add "dun" to APN type as suggested, I get an error as soon as I turn on the hotspot.

Nexus 6, running 7.1.1

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

thank you for sharing @will13am, will do ! 🙂

Mary

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@CS_Agent, when referring to APN settings for this service, please suggest default,supl,mms in the APN type field instead of leaving the field blank.  Where tethering does not work use default,supl,mms,dun.  As far as I can tell, including dun in cases where it is not required does not hurt.  So maybe suggest the latter as a rule.

Koosha

@will13am

It worked! Thanks!!

@Koosha wrote:

Thank you all for reply!

In my APN list I have 3 APNs: mobile internet, public mobile, and tethered mobile internet.

The phone's default is on mobile internet.

- Which APN should i edit?

- i can not edit any field 😞

If the existing APNs cannot be edited, then create a new one with the required entries in each field.  Copy over the stuff from the APN with sp.mb.com.  Take a look at the APN information supplied by @RohanRon_ON.  Add dun to the APN type field.

Koosha

Thank you all for reply!

In my APN list I have 3 APNs: mobile internet, public mobile, and tethered mobile internet.

The phone's default is on mobile internet.

- Which APN should i edit?

- i can not edit any field 😞

RohanRon_ON

I have a OnePlus 5 Android device and this is what I use for the APN settings to get data and WiFi hotspot to work.

Name: Public Mobile

APN: sp.mb.com

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS Proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS Port: 80

MCC: 302

MNC: 220
APN Type: default, supl, mms

MVNO Type: none

@computergeek541 wrote:

I would try adding DUN to the APN type setting.

Also, there was a bug a while ago that prevent people from using the default isp.mb.com for tethering.  Adding the setting of DUN to the APN type for sp.mb.com fixed that back then.

Good memory!  During initial implementation, the thinking was to have two APNs, one for tethering and one for regular data usage.  As it were, this adds complication uncessarily.  So the both APNs can be used for tethering.  The suggestion is to use sp.mb.com for everything so as to avoid the need to switch APNs back and forth.  When required, add dun to the APN type field.   

@passiveegg wrote:

You may have to change your APN settings for your mobile data then. follow these steps:

1. From the home screen, tap the Menu button.
  2. Tap Settings
  3. Tap Mobile networks
  4. Tap Access Point Names
  5. Tap the Menu button
  6. Tap New APN
  7. Tap the Name field
  8. Enter Internet, then tap OK
  9. Tap the APN field
  10. Enter everywhere, then tap OK
  11. Tap the Username field
  12. Enter eesecure, then tap OK
  13. Tap the Password field
  14. Enter secure, then tap OK
  15. Tap the Menu icon
  16. Tap Save

Trust me, this won't work.  When I first arrived on the scene, I had the same problem as OP.  I initiated a ticket and a network rep actually called me and we troubleshooted the issue together.  The resolution was inserting dun into the APN type field.  I always include default,supl,mms which I believe to be better than leaving the field blank and letting defaults come onto play. 

I would try adding DUN to the APN type setting.

Also, there was a bug a while ago that prevented people from using the default isp.mb.com for tethering.  Adding the setting of DUN to the APN type for sp.mb.com fixed that back then.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Koosha, some devices seem to need to have dun in the APN type field in order to have wifi hotspot work.  I have no idea why as some of my devices need it and some don't.  Please edit the APN and ensure that default,supl,mms,dun are added to the APN type field. 

passiveegg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You may have to change your APN settings for your mobile data then. follow these steps:

1. From the home screen, tap the Menu button.
  2. Tap Settings
  3. Tap Mobile networks
  4. Tap Access Point Names
  5. Tap the Menu button
  6. Tap New APN
  7. Tap the Name field
  8. Enter Internet, then tap OK
  9. Tap the APN field
  10. Enter everywhere, then tap OK
  11. Tap the Username field
  12. Enter eesecure, then tap OK
  13. Tap the Password field