cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling

melitapaul
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Do you offer wifi calling as part of your services?

16 REPLIES 16

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This. When I had a limited minutes plan, I would always use Hangouts Dialer for outgoing calls. 

It's not WiFI calling (I have that on my Pixel 3 with a different carrier) which does work great, but for the right circumstances it's an awesome little app from Google. 

Master2000

@geopublic  a écrit :

@melitapaul  No, use Hangouts Dialer instead. Much better and works across Nort America 

Edit: And is shows your cell number when calling once you register your number from within the app.

I use Hangouts and my number is show to the person I call.

In Hangouts, you simply have to add your phone number to “Outbound caller ID” and validate it with an SMS.
If you don’t need data, the 15$ plan, give you unlimited incoming calls and 100 outgoing minutes where you don’t have Wi-Fi. You can also add 500 minutes/5$ (Any unused minutes roll over to next cycles).
I also tried Fongo but Hangouts quality is a lot better when Internet signal is not perfect and Fongo show another phone number.

Wazzer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

No

JackQuint

@computergeek541 wrote:

None of the apps mentioned in this thread can provide Wi-Fi calling (which Public Mobile doesm't offer).  Wi-Fi calling provides the ability to make and receive phone calls using the same phone number as attched to your cellular service.  It does not make use of any app.  Calls simply get routed through an internet connection rather than the cellular network.

I can't speak for every app mentioned, but Hangouts Dialer definitely allows you to make phone calls over wifi without using minutes or data. 

While it's not the same as carrier based WiFi calling, if the OP is on a plan without unlimited minutes or unlimited North Amercan calling, it's actually a superior solution. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I think it's perfectly alright to mention the alternative voip options after saying no to "Wi-Fi Calling" ® © ™️ All Rights Reserved.

Sure. Ok. Don't mention the war...I mean the term "Wi-Fi Calling" when doing so.

But I'm sure we all get what is intended.

@RossN wrote:

@computergeek541 would iphone i message be considered wi fi calling?

Wi-Fi calling is carrier dependent.  No app is inviolved nor is one needed.

@popping  yea I understand what your saying but you also connect to face time through it but yea facetime might be what I should have said

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@RossN wrote:

iMessage is a messaging app - not for voice call. (Correct me if I am wrong as I am an Android user)

WiFi calling is for voice call showing your cell phone number at receiver's call display

None of the apps mentioned in this thread can provide Wi-Fi calling (which Public Mobile doesm't offer).  Wi-Fi calling provides the ability to make and receive phone calls using the same phone number as attched to your cellular service.  It does not make use of any app.  Calls simply get routed through an internet connection rather than the cellular network.

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@melitapaul You can download TextNow or wechat ,both App can do WiFi calling.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@melitapaul wrote:

As others have already said you can use other apps since PM doesn't offer that.  Another app to consider is whatsapp.

Edit: To clarify you would need all parties that you call to also have the whatsapp app installed to facilitate calling over wifi.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@melitapaul wrote:

@melitapaul  No, use Hangouts Dialer instead. Much better and works across Nort America 

Edit: And is shows your cell number when calling once you register your number from within the app.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM does not offer wi-fi calling.  You use an app like Skype.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@melitapaul wrote:

You may try Fongo App for wifi calling

RossN
Mayor / Maire

no sorry

Need Help? Let's chat.