cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I getting failed messages and how do I fix it?

Starchild
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My text messages don’t send quite frequently until I am at home. I get a failed to send error message 

im guessing this might be due to wifi, i don’t have data turned on. And I don’t want it turned on. I didn’t think texting required internet connection?

I know it can’t be due to service because the last time I sent a text was right outside of Home Depot in Courtenay. Failed. When I got home it finally sent.

8 REPLIES 8

Starchild

Ok thank you 😊 

You may also need to restart the iPhone. Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt.

Starchild

Oh thank you I just looked in iMessage settings and turned on SMS! And I guess if that doesn’t help then I’ll just turn on data 

🙏👍

Starchild

Yes it is an iPhone 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

If you're using an iPhone then your texts are being sent with iMessage, "enhanced" features which use some data.

Somewhere in the iMessage settings you'll see options to use "standard SMS/MMS" instead of "iMessage". You may also see options to enable across WiFi data and/or to enable/disable across cellular data.

Similar deal with Androids running RCS or other "enhanced" messaging apps.

All current PM plans have unlimited text. SMS text. Should work without a hitch.

All current PM plans have unlimited text attachments. MMS pictures. Doesn't consume billable data but still requires an active data connection. So it won't work until you configure the APN settings for Public Mobile.

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@Starchild wrote:

My text messages don’t send quite frequently until I am at home. I get a failed to send error message 

im guessing this might be due to wifi, i don’t have data turned on. And I don’t want it turned on. I didn’t think texting required internet connection?

I know it can’t be due to service because the last time I sent a text was right outside of Home Depot in Courtenay. Failed. When I got home it finally sent.

Hi @Starchild you need data on when sending SMS/MMS.  It doesn't use data so you don;t have to have data in your account, BUT data must be on in your device when texting.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Starchild if your messages have only text, no pics, data is not needed. However, what is your phone? Iphone? Can be an issue with its messaging app.

Need Help? Let's chat.