cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why PUBLIC MOBILE?

amarn031
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello I've been a public mobile customer for a few years now. However recently I've noticed that streaming Twitch has been extremely slow. I just realized that Public only offers 3G speeds.

This has caused me to research other providers out there. I've noticed that Bell offers much faster speeds, and they have prepaid plans that are pretty much the same price for the amount of data.

I like Public Mobile. But I can't help but ask: What reason do I have for staying with them when I am offered inferior speeds at the same prices as the big boys?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

@Nezgar 

It's been reported to be upwards of 30+mbps but I usually say 20+mbps averaging 12mbps depending on network traffic. Obviously higher in the middle of the night and on a lazy labour day in the middle of the afternoon in Vancouver averaging about 6mbps so not so great but enough that a  speed test of throttled 4G LTE (3mbps)consumed about 14mb and 3G about 28mb of my data!  So with full speed 4G LTE averaging 60mbps one speed test will eat up 280mb so I will pass on testing the unthrottled 4G LTE at the moment.

@darlicious wrote:

But did this thread need a solution? Is it not just seeking opinion?

1-0-1 how to get rewards...

@hairbag1 wrote:

Try forcing 3G only.

Low price for the average user is why.

@amarn031,

@hairbag1had a good point here that you might not have picked up on when originally posted... Public Mobile data is throttled to 3.0Mbps when using the LTE network. However, if you force the phone to 3G mode, so it's using the HSPA/WCDMA network, you may actually see 2-3x faster speed, upwards of 10Mbps as that network is not subject to speed throttling. This might just be fast enough to satisfy what twitch streaming needs...

@Luddite 

I must be the bain of your existence....lol!😃 But did this thread need a solution? Is it not just seeking opinion? Unless if course one person's opinion makes the OP's mind up for them but that would only be for them to decide? Would it not?🤔

@amarn031 

I guess if you want 4G/LTE on Bell $45/month for 4.5gb + bonus 500mb compared to PM 3G $33/month for 4.5gb + bonus 500mb with AutoPay…$12 extra would be your call.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

If you are addicted to your mobile phone, cannot live without it, even in intimate moments it has to be close to you, have to check soc. network sites every 5 seconds, watch movies on minuscule screen - then maybe, just maybe PM is not for you.

But if you need reliable BASIC service to use SMS, have phone in the pocket in case of emergency, place brief calls, receive unlimited calls and authentication codes, get reliable and fast help from community and NOT to pay arm and leg, - then PM is perfect choice.

Only YOU can answer question: Why PM.

@amarn031 

All of the above. But have you read the small print? Especially the add on data rates? Remember if you run out of data with public mobile it just stops. If you want to purchase and add on that does not expire and rolls over each month til completely depleted you pay one time $15/1gb or approximately $1.50/100mb or $0.15/10mb or $0.015/1mb. At Bell you pay 10 times that amount or more as the charge $10/100mb regardless of amount used in 100mb alottments up to $80/801mb then $0.15/1mb thereafter......

Considering we pay $5/500min Canada wide calling add ons, $15/1000min UK/US calling add ons and so on....look at the other small print charges at Bell.....

Additional information

• * Additional data is $0.15/MB
  • Overage rates: $0.35/min. for local minutes, $0.50/min. for Canada and U.S. long distance4, $0.30/text for Canada-wide texts3, $0.40/text for U.S. & international texts3, $0.50/message for picture and video messages3.
  • If full monthly rate plan payment is unsuccessful, the following pay-per-use rates apply: $0.60/min. for local minutes, $0.60/min. for Canada and U.S. long distance4, $0.60/message for Canada, U.S. & international texts3, $0.50/message for picture and video messages3.
  • One-time $10 SIM card charge applies.
  • A provincial government 9-1-1 fee may apply where applicable: QC: $0.46/mo., NS: $0.43/mo., AB: $0.44/mo., NB: $0.97/mo., SK: $1.88/mo., PE: $0.70/mo., NL: $0.75/mo., NWT: $1.70/mo. AB: effective September 1, 2021, the Government of Alberta 9-1-1 service fee will increase from $0.44 to $0.95 per month. Bell remits required amount to government.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@softech wrote:

Also, good thing for postpaid service like PM is that you don't have to worry about OVERCHARGE..  🙂

You mean prepaid.

@amarn031 wrote:

I guess I'm just really surprised is all.

Bell prepaid plan is 5gb/month at 4g LTE speeds and is $5 more than public.

Is there literally no reason for me to stay with Public Mobile at this point? Annoying to change providers but I can't find a single reason to justify staying, as much as I'd like to?

Have you considered incentives like Autopay discount, loyalty rewards, occasional freebies..offered by PM?

Of course if you need higher speed and can afford to pay for it, it's your choice to make.

Those who are attracted to PM are usually looking for bargain basement deals and willing to put up with its idiosyncrasies.

@amarn031   I would say reward is the main thing.  

Loyalty reward, $1 per year up to $5

Friend Referral potentially could also a lot of monthly saving

Community Reward, come and answer some questions and get some bravos could easily give you $1 or $2

Autopay Reward, pretty much $2 off any plan for doing nothing , literally..  (PM pays you $2 to do nothing during during payment time)

I agree.. if you are paying $40 or more, there could be better deals out there, or similar deal with full LTE speed and all the goodies like Wifi Calling, VoLTE, easy Roaming.. plus.. you have a choice to miss one or two payment and still have service (as long as you are willing the pay the interest after..)

but if you are paying $35 or below, I think PM has better deals

Also, good thing for postpaid service like PM is that you don't have to worry about OVERCHARGE..  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bell: no rewards, twice the cost of data add-ons, data overage charges otherwise.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@amarn031  1 reason, REWARDS that offer a discount off your bill. Nobody else can offer rewards for loyalty, auto pay, referral and participating in the community. Sure, you may think Bell's offering is better for "ONLY" $5 more, but you can save MORE than $5. Also, you can turn off LTE and stream over the 3G network which has more speed. 

@amarn031 wrote:

Is there literally no reason for me to stay with Public Mobile at this point? Annoying to change providers but I can't find a single reason to justify staying, as much as I'd like to?

Nobody going to blame you for trying something else. Good luck Amigo.

We'll be here when you get back.  😎

amarn031
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@amarn031 wrote:

Hello I've been a public mobile customer for a few years now. However recently I've noticed that streaming Twitch has been extremely slow. I just realized that Public only offers 3G speeds.

This has caused me to research other providers out there. I've noticed that Bell offers much faster speeds, and they have prepaid plans that are pretty much the same price for the amount of data.

I like Public Mobile. But I can't help but ask: What reason do I have for staying with them when I am offered inferior speeds at the same prices as the big boys?

Thanks

Try forcing 3G only.

Low price for the average user is why.

Need Help? Let's chat.