cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I moved in 3 accounts and gave up extra data

KamWest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So, I am finally here for good, moved 3 accounts from Rogers, here is a full review of my process....

I did a small stint with PC Mobile which was the Loblaws version of Telus and my reception was incredible. I moved to the Rogers 10GB $60 dollar plan and my reception sucked. To clarify, it was great in the city but anywhere north a Bell plan would have reception where Rogers had nothing. The Telus phones had even better reception than Bell.

So eventually I had 3 Rogers 10GB for $60 plans (Me, Wife, Son) and they were blazing fast. Problem was we never EVER used more than 2GB per month and paid for 10. We were so paranoid of going over and getting a $100 extra charge that it was no fun at all. Additionally I had to pay $1 per line extra to get texting to the states or $5 per line for international texting. That part was instrumental for me moving to Public. There was no way I was going to keep paying for that. I do a lot of computer work and text all over the world.

Now the fun Public Mobile part.....

I have the 5GB (4.5+) unlimited Canada Call and International text plan and with autopay got it for $38 dollars and I will never worry about a surprise data charge again. I noticed no slowdown in my data connection because the most I use is google maps and streaming of google play songs. The songs play perfectly and the fact that the speed is throttled to 3g levels actually means you would have a tough time eating up the 5gb of data.

I figured it out and with my 3 accounts referring each other, auto pay, black friday deals etc we saved $148 (after tax) on all the lines. We recieved a month free, $25 referral credits etc.

I now have exactly what I need and even if offered full speed by Koodo for the same price I don't think I will ever leave because my son is busy signing up his friends and his bill will soon be ZERO.

11 REPLIES 11

mcs11

@KamWest wrote:

So, I am finally here for good, moved 3 accounts from Rogers, here is a full review of my process....

I did a small stint with PC Mobile which was the Loblaws version of Telus and my reception was incredible. I moved to the Rogers 10GB $60 dollar plan and my reception sucked. To clarify, it was great in the city but anywhere north a Bell plan would have reception where Rogers had nothing. The Telus phones had even better reception than Bell.

So eventually I had 3 Rogers 10GB for $60 plans (Me, Wife, Son) and they were blazing fast. Problem was we never EVER used more than 2GB per month and paid for 10. We were so paranoid of going over and getting a $100 extra charge that it was no fun at all. Additionally I had to pay $1 per line extra to get texting to the states or $5 per line for international texting. That part was instrumental for me moving to Public. There was no way I was going to keep paying for that. I do a lot of computer work and text all over the world.

Now the fun Public Mobile part.....

I have the 5GB (4.5+) unlimited Canada Call and International text plan and with autopay got it for $38 dollars and I will never worry about a surprise data charge again. I noticed no slowdown in my data connection because the most I use is google maps and streaming of google play songs. The songs play perfectly and the fact that the speed is throttled to 3g levels actually means you would have a tough time eating up the 5gb of data.

I figured it out and with my 3 accounts referring each other, auto pay, black friday deals etc we saved $148 (after tax) on all the lines. We recieved a month free, $25 referral credits etc.

I now have exactly what I need and even if offered full speed by Koodo for the same price I don't think I will ever leave because my son is busy signing up his friends and his bill will soon be ZERO.

Great story, @KamWest.  PM is such great value -- that is why I switched as well.  Enough data at the right price.  Welcome to the PM family!

@KamWest wrote:

Yes absolutely but I also do a lot of iT work so I know my way around support forums and I can guide his friends when they need it.

Hi and welcome. Thanks for sharing the great experience. 

Please make sure as mentioned that they know about the support model, even though your are  good with iT and support forums there may still be instances where they may be without service for a short time while waiting for MODs to respond. Would not want you to loose friends over a minor situation like that. 

When I introduce people, one of the first things I ask is if they are able to be without cell coverage for a day or so. I always point out that this rarely but may happen and that there are plenty of free apps available to keep them connected as long as they have wifi.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Psygineer wrote:

Getting your bill to zero is a definitely nice perk for being here. Sadly for me, I'm not really pushy or anything like that so I have not attempted to convert anyone to sign up under me. I mean if they were looking to switch to a new service anyway I likely would suggest it, but even then I don't know if I would go so far as to ask them to sign up under me. 

It is not that hard to my bill payment down on PM.  I am paying $1/30 days for my $10 50/50 plan after 3 months and still have $12 available fund to pay for next 12 cycles.

KamWest

Yes absolutely but I also do a lot of iT work so I know my way around support forums and I can guide his friends when they need it.

mimmo

@KamWest please make sure your son also explains the support model and to his friends . There are several instances where activations /porting renewals go sideways and support from mods is needed. Usually reply time in within hours sometimes upto 48 and as recently experienced 3-4 days.  It is important that they are fully informed.

KamWest

I don't think that signing up under you is the right terminology. There is no negative for the person signing up and if they save money then it's a positive for both parties.

Besides my 12 year old son is teling all his friends about Public Mobile and in almost every case the kids can save money. If he signs up enough friends his plan will hit zero pretty fast.

KamWest

Why puzzling?

I was introduced to Telus by PcMobile and I liked them because the data would stop unless you topped up. The reception was excellent and Telus was the carrier. Only thing is their plans were not technically a bargain.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@KamWest

Puzzled by this analogy?

@KamWest wrote:

I did a small stint with PC Mobile which was the Loblaws version of Telus and my reception was incredible..

mimmo

@KamWestgreat story and welcome to PM.   I have to say there are also  benifits to the long distance calling minutes, if you ever call some of the 18 countries included and the the USA roaming packages are pretty good now that the roam like home of other carrieres have gone up 7-10/day.

just one question/clarification you mentioned "We recieved a month free, $25 referral credits etc."    those are two seperate promotions and are not stackable.  did you activate the first line in store then the other two at home?  

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Getting your bill to zero is a definitely nice perk for being here. Sadly for me, I'm not really pushy or anything like that so I have not attempted to convert anyone to sign up under me. I mean if they were looking to switch to a new service anyway I likely would suggest it, but even then I don't know if I would go so far as to ask them to sign up under me. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@KamWest, great story!  Mine is a similar one.  

Need Help? Let's chat.