cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to buy SIM card locally?

jai2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I went to Mobile Shop in Superstore, Winnipeg, but they refused to sell me SIM cards only. They wanted to do activation with the SIM card. I wanted 3 of them and didnt want to go through when I could do it own my own. 

Do all mobile shops operate same way? Where can I pickup SIM cards only? I don't want to do mail order.

14 REPLIES 14

slow99
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought mine at London Drugs where my sister-in-law works.  My sister-in-law helped me to port my old number by calling public mobile for me at the store and I talked to the agent and he helped me to port my number and activate my account.  I actually do not know if this costs money as my sister-in-law did not charge me.  I think it is best to phone ahead and ask the London Drugs staff.  However, I do know that you can just buy the sim cards there and do everything yourself.

@jai2 I know that you said that you don't want to mail order and that you have since ordered from Amazon, but unless you're in a hurry, I would suggest that ordering online is a better option. I would consider a trip to a store to purchase a sim card to be an unnecessary trip during days of social distancing unless it's a case of a lost sim card. Otherwise, I would say that the only advantage of getting it from a store would be a possible discount in return for on-site activation.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@jai2 wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I went to same Walmart but the mobile shop was closed at 5 so went to other nearest location Superstore on Bison. 

Since my post, I went and ordered my SIMs from Amazon Prime. Will be in my house by Saturday. No running around and no begging. 

And then bricks/mortar retailers wonder why they're losing business. Customer walks in and wants something...sell it! Don't let them walk out empty handed. Sure fine up-sell, offer services whatever but if the customer isn't interested then sell what you can and at least extract _some_ money out of their wallet.

I just don't get it.

Glad you figured out an option. Apparently the Weston's don't need your money.

My local TMS store mobilists are good producers.  It is one of the top TMS store in Canada.  That store manager setup the sale target and always exceeded the monthly target.  During the COVID shutdown, this store is one of a few TMS stores was open for online order and pickup at store service. 

Most of TMS store is a kiosk inside a Superstore.  This TMS is a store with a store front and 3 walls at the front entrance of my Superstore.  

emby

@jai2 sounds like you found a good chill way to get what you need. I think you have raised a valid point though with the original question: commission or not, the inconsistency that's present amongst resellers. PM is being built on user independence and community trust which is hard to get on board with when someone's first encounter with the company is through a reseller refusing such a simple request as purchasing a SIM card. Glad you got what you needed in the end but you should not have had to travel the city only to find that you were better off ordering it online. Happy savings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jai2 wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I went to same Walmart but the mobile shop was closed at 5 so went to other nearest location Superstore on Bison. 

Since my post, I went and ordered my SIMs from Amazon Prime. Will be in my house by Saturday. No running around and no begging. 

And then bricks/mortar retailers wonder why they're losing business. Customer walks in and wants something...sell it! Don't let them walk out empty handed. Sure fine up-sell, offer services whatever but if the customer isn't interested then sell what you can and at least extract _some_ money out of their wallet.

I just don't get it.

Glad you figured out an option. Apparently the Weston's don't need your money.

@jai2  Another online option is to buy your SIM card from Canadian cell supplies https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/latest-products/products/public-sim-card currently they are $3.33 each.

jai2

jai2

I didnt know that they were sold by Amazon Prime. Just ordered 3 from Amazon Prime and will be in my house by Saturday. Can't beat that. They were also $9.30 each. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jai2 wrote:

I went to Mobile Shop in Superstore, Winnipeg, but they refused to sell me SIM cards only. They wanted to do activation with the SIM card. I wanted 3 of them and didnt want to go through when I could do it own my own. 

Do all mobile shops operate same way? Where can I pickup SIM cards only? I don't want to do mail order.

My local TMS store allowed me to purchase PM SIM card without activation.  My local TMS store is very busy.  The mobilists at that store prefer to spend time in selling big-3 phone plan than playing with PM activation.

I purchased 4 PM SIM cards last year with the spend $40 and get 20k PCO points offer.

This week, I have similar PCO offer - spend $50 and get 25k PCO points.  My 50% off is not enough for me ATM as I can get cheaper PM SIM card some where else.

emby

@jai2 I was in the same boat just a few weeks ago. From what I gather, authorized resellers are inclined to get you fully set up and on your way. The advantage, I found out, is that if you activate in store they will waive the SIM card fee in most cases which is $10 in your pocket!

I wanted to activate multiple lines as well so I ended up doing one in store and the sales rep. was kind enough to sell me two extra SIM cards as well which was great.

If you're in Winnipeg I would recommend going to see the sales reps at the Walmart on Kenaston Blvd. That's where I went and it was worth my time. Good luck!

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@jai2  sorry to hear that this happened to you. Here's a link on finding local stores 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator , call ahead and make sure that they are open and will sell you the unactivated SIMs.  Stay safe.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jai2 

Store locator

Type in Winnipeg.

MZ Computer Systems

Wow Mobile

All Zones Telecom

Unfortunately, Walmarts are notorious for the same thing. You could try the trick of that you lost your SIM and you just need a new one. Not sure how well that works. And they'd probably still want to help you and log in and change the SIM for you. Even though that's not actually want you wanted.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@jai2 

Vendors are suppose to sell the SIM card without activations, but a few vendors want to activate so then the reps get a commission.  

Other vendors include Walmart, London drugs, WOW mobile and some authorized Koodo dealers.  Walmart reps also have a reputation of only wanting to activate SIM cards, not sell SIM cards alone.  

You could report the store to Public mobile if you wanted to.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@jai2 hello try your closest walmart 

Need Help? Let's chat.