cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do people who use Public Mobile live/visit frequently and how is the service where you are?

mariahdchambers
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am trying to get a more thorough understanding of public's service. I live in Ottawa and the service here has been as good as I ever got on Fido and Bell.

17 REPLIES 17

Shane5

We live in BelleRiver ON, Close to the Detroit border. No issues. Love Public Mobile

Melch
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I live in Northwestern Ontario where coverage is typically shotty outside of Thunder Bay.  That is why I switched over to Public Mobile considering their coverage map. My previous provider was hit and miss when outside of the city.  

cyrusrivers
Haven't had much of an issue at VGH but I try to not use my phone around certain areas.

Still great service in areas like that where theres a lot of concrete and you're kinda underground. (Least with my experience so far. I use a Samsung Galaxy S7)

@cyrusrivers  I live in mount pleasant close to downtown and have great service. The odd dropped call in a big concrete building but otherwise great. The single biggest service performance i would be interested in would be in the hospital how does your data and calls work in there? If ever you need to rely on your phone it's when your stuck in there. I can tell you this much....freedoms service wouldn't work once you got within 10 feet of a hospital.

cyrusrivers

Vancouver, BC

I live near metrotown and have only been with PM for 1 month so far and it's been great. Calls and texts go through. Data is good and call quality is good all around. 

I loaded up my account with enough to cover the balance a couple days ago and I had data again yesterday evening around 830pm as my plan renewed. 

terrybev
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@mariahdchambers wrote:

I am trying to get a more thorough understanding of public's service. I live in Ottawa and the service here has been as good as I ever got on Fido and Bell.

Vancouver, B.C Haven't had any problems, since I joined almost a year ago

Lyrhea

I live outside Calgary, AB and coverage is great, no issues even inside by house😊

terrybev

@mariahdchambers wrote:

I live in Vancouver, BC  Excellent services on my end, a couple of little glitches, but I am happy with the service

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Vancouver. Coverage is excellent. Exactly what one would expect being on Telus' network.

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mariahdchambers wrote:

In Ottawa as well, both of my kids have PM accounts. They are primarily in the East end of the city. Works great!

Only reason I don't have an account, is free work phone!

Wife will be on it next month as well 🙂

Barth

@3mom wrote:

@Metal1967  the only place I never get service is my bathroom  & I sometimes get shotty reception in my own bedroom, but outside of my home, perfection!

Someone read this and wondered, "How can I change my partner's phone so they cannot use it in the bathroom or the bedroom?" Smiley Very Happy

And I hear you. My urban home seems to be in a bit of a low coverage area that periodically causes connection issues. If I walk one block in any direction, it's immediately better.

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There should be no coverage issues through most of the country. The Telus/Bell network is pretty substantial and expansive. Same is true of Rogers/Videotron.

These days, you really only need to worry if you're in a very rural area or you have a provider like Freedom which is still in the build-out phase. That's why all the Freedom plans include nationwide roaming as part of the deal. Anything on the two major networks (including sub brands like Koodo/PM/Fido/Chatr/Virgin) should be really good.

3mom

@Metal1967  the only place I never get service is my bathroom  & I sometimes get shotty reception in my own bedroom, but outside of my home, perfection!

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@3mom wrote:

I live in Toronto, Ontario & I've been with Public Mobile for 11 years & the service I have had is stellar, aside from the dropped calls issue they have been experiencing with some customers including myself in the past couple of weeks. I've used competitors in the past and was never satisfied with service. 

@3mom 

I travel all of Canada on a weekly basis...always get service where I should...just as good as any other provider...

3mom

I live in Toronto, Ontario & I've been with Public Mobile for 11 years & the service I have had is stellar, aside from the dropped calls issue they have been experiencing with some customers including myself in the past couple of weeks. I've used competitors in the past and was never satisfied with service. 

@mariahdchambers, larger centres of population and business/government are very well covered by the 3 big systems (2 largest networks).

As @SD08 Bell and Telus share the largest coverage area, Rogers (with Videotron) is second.  Specific areas within larger centres will have varying coverage.

It's all about what works best for you.  I've been with Rogers in the past, and they were fine in my early days of cellular service.  Now I've been with Public Mobile for almost 3 years, and the coverage I get is far better for me, on Telus/Bell.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Public Mobile uses the Bell/Telus network, so the coverage is exactly the same as you would get as if you were with those providers.
Here is a map of the coverage:
https://www.telus.com/en/on/mobility/network/coverage-map

For more coverage detail in your particular area, you could look for the local Bell (blue) or Telus (green) towers on this map:
https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Need Help? Let's chat.