cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to remember when installing new SIM card?

bashley
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I've got my PM account set up. New SIM card in hand.  I'll be making the switch from current cell provider to PM later today. 

Before I do that, however, just wondering if there's any common screw-ups or missed tasks that new customers are liable to make. 

1. Is the switch to PM service immediate or is there a wait time? 
  2. Any tips for avoiding mistakes with the SIM card installation?
  3. Will a restart of the phone be necessary/recommended after new SIM installation?
  4. Will I receive a confirmation text message from PM? 

Thanks for any advice offered! 

bob

Summerside, PEI

15 REPLIES 15

bashley

Just an update to report flawless launch of phone with new PM service.  

Glad I checked in with the Community for tips on SIM card installation and what to expect with startup operation of the phone on the new PM account. I was up and running in minutes with calls in/out, texts in/out, voicemail, not a single glitch!  

Further, several hours later I logged into my account online, checked my usage history, and all the data was there, accurate, up to date, and easy to read. On the financial side, PM issued its second-month credit and my first Reward credit, also right up to date.  

Thanks again, for everyone's hand-holding help.  Really appreciate it. 

bob

Summerside, PEI

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541  What am I confusing....? The pin# for the account?

Yes, the account PIN is sent by text message to the customer.

@computergeek541  Thank you....its been awhile since I activated. For some reason I only have the text from one account.....?

@darlicious wrote:

Yes, the account PIN is sent by text message to the customer.

@darlicious wrote
Yes you will recieve a welcome text with your voicemail pin#.

The voicemail password is chosen by the customer when setting up the voicemail box. It is not texted to the customer. Also, the vociemail password and account PIN are not/do not need to be the same.

bashley

Whoa!  A tremendous tsunami of advice, tips, cautions from the community, and I really appreciate it. 

Big thanks to @geopublic , @darlicious , @GR , @Duffer99 , @dna2016 , @Jb456 , and @ChuckYeah 

Most everyone picked up that I originally intended to port my old number, but I changed my mind, now going with and sticking with a new PM number.  Cripes, the new number is way easier to remember than my old one, which I still screw up sometimes. 

Be great if there was an FAQ in the forum.  I'm sure some of you folks have had to endure the same basic questions from newbies over and over again.  

Thumbs up, thanks to all. 

bob

Summerside, PEI

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@bashley  Since you already activated your PM sim and setup your PM account did you pick a temp number or did you request to port in your number from your old provider?

If you picked a temp number then you need to access your selfserve account and setup the port. Please not that your account with your previous provider needs to remain active otherwise the port will not be possible.

If you setup the port during activation then continue to use your old sim until it stops working. Once that happens insert your PM sim and welcome to Public.

Duffer99
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I ran into a problem when I switched from Virgin to PM because I didn't realize that the phone I'd purchased from a Virgin Kiosk a year or two ago was Locked.

I went thru all the setup procedures: buying a SIM card and registering it with PM but my phone would not find or connect to their network. I found the number for Telus Porting on PM's website and the tech their suggested my phone was still locked to Virgin's network. 

Virgin's online service tech gave me the long number (PIN) to unlock the phone after I gave him my cell's IMEI number and that successfully unlocked it and everything worked when I cycled my phone.

This problem probably doesn't happen much anymore because cell phones are sold unlocked.

@bashley  Now that I've done a little refreshing and remembered you activated the account the other day you could have tested the SIM card and services then and just put your soon to be  previous providers SIM back in your phone. Needless to say if you're porting from bell or telus in can take a couple minutes up to two hours possibly more but that would normally only be Rogers. As @ChuckYeah  stated data and outgoing texts first...then incoming texts and finally incoming calls. In all of my activations from telus, freedom, fido and virgin they all happened in under 5 minutes with all services working. It's best to just use the name on account, account # and the phone # when filling out the porting info and try to check the authorized user box first.

You should know the drill when making account changes....clear browser and use secret/incognito mode in chrome or Firefox. If you do think at the two hour mark your port is stuck public mobile prefers you contact the moderators but if access to your account is not necessary it is likely much faster to call the telus porting department to complete it or give you a status report. Call 1 877 868 3570 prompt 1. English  prompt 2. Representative  Have your previous providers account # ready. You will have to contact a moderator if account access is needed but unlikely since your account is already set up. Best of luck.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@bashley i believe you said a few days ago you wanted to port a bell landline, if that's the case it can take up to 7 days but usually 2 or 3 days. The landline will keep working until fully ported. You can us ethe cell phone to call out and text out while you wait for the port to be completed! 

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bashley 

1. any porting of a number from one provider to another will take anywhere from 5 minutes to around a couple hours.  However there can be times where the port gets stuck and MOD assistance would be needed.  When a successful port is complete you'll receieve a text message to your phone indicating a successful port.  But even after getting that text you'll just need to wait a bit for the number to kick in.

2. SIM card installation should be straight forwrard.  Just make sure the gold part is facing downwards.  Not sure how else this can be done incorrectly.  

3. Re-starting the phone really isn't necessary.  Once you complete the online activation, I would wait a few minutes, then insert the SIM card, cross your fingers, and then turn on the phone while your fingers are crossed, lol.  Just kidding.  Anyways, ya this isn't a complicated process really, just activate online, insert the SIM, turn on your phone, and pretty much just wait.  If after a few hours the number still hasn't ported then it probably got stuck, then just message a MOD and they'll take it from there.

4.  Yes, I a said before you'll get a text message from PM indicating the port was successful.  

Also ensure your phone is UNLOCKED. 

If your port takes a long time, your old sim should be fully functional for most of it.

Hi Bob, @bashley 

If you already have a temp number and are porting a new number in. Find your IMEI OR your old account number and the exact name on the old account.

The port will take 30 min to an hour usually. Get someone to text your phone every 15 minutes. When you receive the text on your pm sim, your almost there. 

The last thing that will happen is your incoming calls will stop going to your old provider or your old voicemail. When you receive the first call on your pm sim, your port is complete.

No real pitfalls to avoid other than entering the info in correctly.

If the port is not complete in 4hrs, contact @CS_Agent .

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@bashley

1.  If you are choosing a new number it should be an immeadiate start. If you find a service isn't working then reboot your phone.
  2. Make sure you slide or set it in gently right side up. Some sim trays will not have a tight fit for the sim card. Be sure it is set in straight and flat in the slot. Use SIM slot 1 if it is a dual sim phone or not in the sd card slot if there is one.
  3. Not necessarily but it won't hurt if you take the extra step but it should be off to begin with.
  4.  Yes you will recieve a welcome text with your voicemail pin#.   Edit: acct pin # not voicemail
Need Help? Let's chat.