cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best gateway equipment for linking my home phone lines into my public mobile services.

homephone
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Fancy voip gateway device ? Android software ? Bluetooth gateway? Skype Gateways?

Phone phone device with android software and ptsn ports? what apks? Computer modems?

What have you used to link voip and or skype and cell services with your old phone lines?

I have looked at many devices for this over many years. LMK what worked best for you!

31 REPLIES 31

homephone

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 9.56.51 PM.pngDetails: https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/wireless-home-phone

Speaking of the nitty gritty what are PM's restrictions if any on forwarding time limits?

That's the option I took 😁 (just said that part for others reading)

@Poogzley wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

If you stay with them after the year it's still cheaper then a traditional line from bell..It was $20 a month after the $5 year promo.. probably same now.

or you could port over to Public Mobile after the first year is up and keep on saveing 😜

Poogzley
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jb456 wrote:

If you stay with them after the year it's still cheaper then a traditional line from bell..It was $20 a month after the $5 year promo.. probably same now.

or you could port over to Public Mobile after the first year is up and keep on saveing 😜

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

That's what I got from them like 3years ago..but model 721..guess they upgraded to 723....same price also $5 a month for a year but looks like price went up a bit for device. I paid $50 it's $65 now.

@Poogzley wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

@homephone Don't know what it is, but the gateway from Koodo home phone service works flawlessly for my daughter. Recall a post somewhere that reported it works with PM SIM.

@Luddite It seems that Koodo is currently offering the ZTE WF723 Wireless Home Phone

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 9.53.33 PM.png

Might I also add that Koodo's 1 year promo offering service for 5$/Month seems like quite the deal [Again this is not an endorsement of the product or service]

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 9.56.51 PM.png

Poogzley

@Luddite wrote:

@homephone Don't know what it is, but the gateway from Koodo home phone service works flawlessly for my daughter. Recall a post somewhere that reported it works with PM SIM.

@Luddite It seems that Koodo is currently offering the ZTE WF723 Wireless Home Phone

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 9.53.33 PM.png

Might I also add that Koodo's 1 year promo offering service for 5$/Month seems like quite the deal [Again this is not an endorsement of the product or service]

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 9.56.51 PM.pngDetails: https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/wireless-home-phone

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Poogzley wrote:

@homephone wrote:

@Poogzley wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

The one issue I have..is if power goes out. The ZTE has a back up power that last for like 12 hours so no problem there but the cordless phones is the problem as there is no backup power for the base unit so the phones don't work. 

@Jb456What model are you using? My ZTE MF279T Rocket Hub lasts about 48 hours on standby when useing battery power.

What it even has a battery? wow! So this works in a black out?

I take it these devices would send a high voltage pulse on the line so that really old bell phones would still ring?

I don't know if it provides enough power to make those old phones that have a real mechanical bell in them but is works just fine with my AT&T CL2909 and most other semi-modern phones I have tested.

Image result for att home phone wired handset

I use a phone like that when power is out. Of course no caller id but it works (cause you need power plug for caller id)

@homephone 

It does not use traditional landline. It's basically a cell phone with no text or data.

You have box pop in sim and then plus cord in for you household lines.

It uses the cell network instead of landline network (if that makes sense)

So yea, if power goes out it still works just like a landline would work in a power outage yet it works through the cell towers.

If you live in an area with spotty cell coverage in your house you would actually have to find a spot in your house will good signal just like a cell phone.

@homephone wrote:

@Poogzley wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

The one issue I have..is if power goes out. The ZTE has a back up power that last for like 12 hours so no problem there but the cordless phones is the problem as there is no backup power for the base unit so the phones don't work. 

@Jb456What model are you using? My ZTE MF279T Rocket Hub lasts about 48 hours on standby when useing battery power.

I take it these devices would send a high voltage pulse on the line so that really old bell phones would still ring?

Poogzley

@homephone wrote:

@Poogzley wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

I don't know if it provides enough power to make those old phones that have a real mechanical bell in them but is works just fine with my AT&T CL2909 and most other semi-modern phones I have tested.

Image result for att home phone wired handset

Mines wf721. That's fine and not the problem as it has backup power for like 12 hours. It's my actual cordless phone set that has no backup power so I have to plug in an old phone if I need to make calls when power goes out.

@Poogzley wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

homephone

@Poogzley wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

Poogzley

@Jb456 wrote:

@Jb456 What model are you using? My ZTE MF279T Rocket Hub lasts about 48 hours on standby when useing battery power.

Poogzley

@homephone wrote:

Do these devices allow a disconnected landline to ring for incomming calls?

Yes, if your household phone wiring has been disconnected from your landline service provider then it would be possible to have connected phones across your housering.

@homephone wrote:

or are they for bridging to a landline homephone or both?

These are intended to serve as a separate second line or as a land line replacement 

@homephone wrote:

are bluetooth gateways really even worth trying for a more permanent situation?

I would not recommend them

@homephone wrote:

what other hardware devices allow sim then can provide it via a voip softphone?

If you would like a SIM to Voip you can use the Glocal Me SIM-BOX (mentioned previously) but other manufacturers/products do exist such as the "FANSONG Professional Triple SIM Card Adapter", "IKOS Dual SIM Box", "SIMORE E-clips Box". Please note I have not tested out these other products and can not guarantee that they will work with Public Mobile nor am I endorsing them.

@homephone  I'll try to give a summary of the ZTE thing..hope it makes sense on the bottle lol.

For over 15 years had bell land line.. price kept going up n up..then Koodo came out with home phone...at time it was $50 for the ZTE box and $5 a month for 1 year.. I was able to port my 15 year old landline number to it so was very happy to pay $5 a month compared to close to $50..

After that I unlocked the device...and best offer was PM so I took out Koodo sim popped in PM sim and good to go with my landline number that's over 15 years old.

Have cordless phones connected to it (4) for whole house..works perfectly.

I have to plug in an actual old phone to make calls when power goes out if I needed to use my land line (use cell but that just an example).

Poogzley

@homephone wrote:

and I can still have the old land line ring and place calls on a simulated dialtone?

Yes this would be possible however you would need to have to sets of phones phone.

Set #1 would be connected to your original landline

Set #2 would be connected to your Rocket Hub Device

Poogzley

@homephone wrote:

so there is a spot for the sim?

Yes, as previously mentioned a SIM card is required for the device to operate.Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 8.52.12 PM.png

homephone

Do these devices allow a disconnected landline to ring for incomming calls?

or are they for bridging to a landline homephone or both?

are bluetooth gateways really even worth trying for a more permanent situation?

what other hardware devices allow sim then can provide it via a voip softphone?

homephone

and I can still have the old land line ring and place calls on a simulated dialtone?

homephone

so there is a spot for the sim?

Poogzley

@homephone wrote:

I Found

ZTE Hub,Rocket Hub - MF275R_Unlocked

on kijiji will this work too?

Yes, it should work as long as it is unlocked, keep in mind you may need to login to the control panel and change the APN settings.

It takes a micro sim for this model

@homephone wrote:

I Found

Poogzley

@homephone wrote:

@Poogzley wrote:

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the two solutions outlined above. ☺️

Sorry for the separate posts for some reason the Community would not let me create one large post

This device takes a sim?

Yes you have to insert your SIM into the device for it to work

homephone

I Found

homephone

@Poogzley wrote:

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the two solutions outlined above. ☺️

Sorry for the separate posts for some reason the Community would not let me create one large post

This device takes a sim?

homephone

Great stuff everyone keep em coming

Poogzley

I use that to 😁

@Poogzley wrote:

I have personally use an Unlcked ZTE MF279T Rocket Hub

Image result for ZTE MF279T RocketTM HubImage result for ZTE MF279T RocketTM Hub

This device allows you to plug in a traditional homephone/fax as well as create a wifi network with the data included on your plan. They can be purchased for less than 50$ on Kijiji (used) or you can find them on Aliexpress for about 75$ (new). 

Poogzley

I also use a GlocalMe SIM-BOX

Image result for glocal me sim box

This device plugs into your modem/router via ethernet and turns your Public Mobile SIM accessible through VOIP via an app you use on your phone (there are also unofficial workarounds for acessing it on a tablet or computer). I have used it in the past to have access to my Public Mobile texts and calls when travelling internationally.

Poogzley

I have personally use an Unlocked ZTE MF279T Rocket Hub

Image result for ZTE MF279T RocketTM HubImage result for ZTE MF279T RocketTM Hub

This device allows you to plug in a traditional homephone/fax as well as create a wifi network with the data included on your plan. They can be purchased for less than 50$ on Kijiji (used) or you can find them on Aliexpress for about 75$ (new). 

Need Help? Let's chat.