cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to USA, but am in Canada

yeboyerp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Public Mobile has sent me a text message welcoming me to the US, and advising I can get a US roaming add-on. While I am in a border town, I am definitely in Canada though (Google on phone verifies phone knows this; as does the weather app). I've verified that I still have plenty of Canada Wide talk-time, (and needless to say texts seem to be coming in no prob). Calls aren't being received, and calling out to someone in another room with a local phone plan gives message "You are international roaming and charges may apply per plan."

Under the phone's Data Roaming options, I've turned off International Voice and Data, and turning on or off Domestic Voice makes no difference. 

In case it made a difference, I've rebooted the phone as well. 

29 REPLIES 29

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

@yeboyerp wrote:

Public Mobile has sent me a text message welcoming me to the US, and advising I can get a US roaming add-on. While I am in a border town, I am definitely in Canada though (Google on phone verifies phone knows this; as does the weather app). I've verified that I still have plenty of Canada Wide talk-time, (and needless to say texts seem to be coming in no prob). Calls aren't being received, and calling out to someone in another room with a local phone plan gives message "You are international roaming and charges may apply per plan."

So what exactly was the problem? Texts was working but you say calls not being received and calling out you got a charges may apply message. Did the call out go through? No charges are really going to apply. Are you certain that you were missing all incoming calls?

This sounds like “the Border Zone” to me. There are many areas where one can’t prevent a cell site on the other side of the border from picking up your call. You get the Welcome to the USA texts quoting rather etc but calls hand off back and forth between towers close to the border. Otherwise on phone plans that allow roaming to automatically with charges, people living or working very close to the border would constantly be getting hit with extra charges.

AE_Collector 

@yeboyerp wrote:

Resetting network did not appear to change anything besides needing to re-establish the wifi. 

Screenshot_20210706-134230.png

... can you click on "Network Mode" and would it have option for you to change from Automatic to Manual?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yeboyerp : What happens when you tap Network mode?

Another maybe is to shut down, remove SIM, restart, see if you can tap Network operators. Turn off automatic and then shut down, insert SIM, restart and see what you get.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous Awesome!! Thanks for not typing in bold 👌

@yeboyerp wrote:

Resetting network did not appear to change anything besides needing to re-establish the wifi. 

As your Network Operators setttings menu is greyed out, there wouldn't be any easy way to disable roaming. As mentioned earlier, the data roaming setting only turns of data while roaming, and will not prevent your phone from connecting to a different network.  The inability to manually select a network from the list would be a device software issue.

.. don't do a Factory Reset yet.. you will loss everything and need to re-setup your phone.   It is too early to make this call !!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

can you try take your SIM card out about 2 minutes and put it back,

if you go to Network Mode can select 3G,

and do you try Reset network settings !! is will help

do you can check it your device update !

but i think you need to do a factory reset, for your device issue but you have to backup frist your photos and all contact number to you don't loss everything.

yeboyerp

Anonymous
Not applicable

do you try Reset network settings 

and not showing to you , something not right my dear ,

can you take a screenshot !

yeboyerp

Am currently located not far from down town, so not on outskirts. I'd previously tried rebooting as you suggested, and doing so again sadly has not led to any Network Operators showing up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

can you try How to reset network settings on the Galaxy visit HERE 

and 

Follow the below steps to manually select a network on your device:
1. From the front screen, tap Apps
2. Choose Settings
3. Choose Mobile Networks (if your device is running Android Lollipop, you will need to choose More Networks, then Mobile Networks)
4. Choose Network Operators
5. Select Search networks
6. select network public mobile.

yeboyerp

Thanks, but as previously mentioned, no Network Operators are listed (i.e., it's greyed out and tapping on it yields no response)

if you are right at Sault Ste Marie, you should have enough coverage. (unless you are further away from the city)

softech_0-1625592198540.png

did you try rebooting your phone?  After reboot, try searching the network to see if you see PM 

Anonymous
Not applicable

for manually select network Samsung Galaxy device visit HERE .

@yeboyerp 

Try going into local London Drugs or a local Telus store, their staff are very helpful and they can set it for you if you are having problems.

yeboyerp

I'm in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. According to the Public Mobile Coverage map, I should be fine. And I was before today.

Am on a Samsung Galaxy S6. 

Maybe that's why you got roamed.

Which city you are at now?

you see any Telus/Bell towers around you?https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Anonymous
Not applicable

which device kind you have !

yeboyerp

I would if I could. Unfortunately no Network Operators are listed under Network Operators.

@yeboyerp  

To manually select PM as your network

On Android:

1. From the front screen, tap Apps.
  2. Choose Settings.
  3. Choose Mobile Networks (if your device is running Android Lollipop, you will need to choose More Networks, then Mobile Networks)
  4. Choose Network Operators.
  5. Choose the Network you would like to connect to

On iPhone

1. From the Home screen, tap Settings.
  2. Tap Carrier. ...
  3. Slide the Automatic slider to the off position to start scanning for networks.
  4. Select desired carrier.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yeboyerp : Touch Automatic and it should go to manually scan. Pick PM there.

yeboyerp

Hi, 
And how would you suggest I "disable roaming", besides changing the Domestic Voice and Data settings under Roaming Guard to OFF (the International Voice and Data settings are already set to OFF). Outgoing text message setting will remain ON, as that doesn't seem to be the issue. 

With regards to "manually select PM", I presume you are referring to setting the mobile networks' Access Point to the Public Mobile as described here? Unless you are referring to Network Operators

No Network Operators show up.

Network mode is set to Automatic.

@BearFBI wrote:

@Anonymous Can you stop editing your post with others people's suggestions. Manually selecting the network wasn't your suggestion.

And PLEASE stop with the bold letters. 

first reply on this thread.. has to make it perfect!!  LoL

** maybe next edit will remove BOLD.

BearFBI

@Anonymous Can you stop editing your post with others people's suggestions. Manually selecting the network wasn't your suggestion.

And PLEASE stop with the bold letters. 

@yeboyerp 

The determining factor whether you are roaming is the network that you're connected to. Please follow @Triguy 's suggestion and manually set the network. Remember to set the network selection back to automatic if you ever do need to roam.

@Triguy 

On many devices, there is no such seperate setting to disable roaming. There's often only a setting to disable mobile data while roaming.

BearFBI

@yeboyerp Your probaly connected to a US tower. Try selecting Public Mobile as your carrier.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@yeboyerp 

I also wonder how border town deal with cell signals from both countries.

I am assuming this is the same problem with your previous carrier too and do the same thing…ignore the message as noted by others.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Try disabling roaming and try to manually select PM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

if call going through
just ignore that message,

charges may apply just a machine

at public mobile is Prepaid service, no extra charges,

and you can try to manually select network public mobile.

For Apple devices:

1. Select Settings
  2. Select Cellular
  3. Select Network Selection
  4. Turn "Automatic" to off. Your phone will search for networks in range
  5. and manually select network public mobile.

For Android devices,

1. From the Home screen, select ➔ Settings  Connections  More networks  Mobile networks
  2. Select Network operators. All available networks are displayed, with the current network connection at the top of the list
  3. Select Search networks to manually search for public mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.