cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WWAN-equipped Laptops on Public Mobile's network

ALogan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, all

I've recently acquired a laptop capable of connecting to mobile networks (An older Getac B300 in case anyone was wondering), and I was curious about whether or not anybody here had experience with mobile data equipped laptops. Is there anything I should know, i.e ToS violations or something? If Public Mobile allows this, I'm definitely going to be staying on board. Also, as a side note, what frequencies does Public Mobile use in the maritimes?

10 REPLIES 10

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ALogan wrote:

I'm just going to be using it throughout my city and such. Nowheres extreme; although, at the moment, my laptop doesn't have a modem, hence why I asked for what frequences are in use. I'm going to be installing one and don't want to blow money on a module I can't use, haha.

Oh, I thought it was already included.  I strongly recommend you do not get a modem then.  It is useless as soon as your laptop is useless, and you cannot use voice.  You are much better off getting a cheap cell phone, and tether it via wifi.  

If you want something with a superior antenna, get a ZTE MF275r.  There is always someone on kijiji selling one.  A quick kijiji search has one here.  https://www.kijiji.ca/v-general-electronics/cape-breton/zte-router/1429291286

ALogan

I'm just going to be using it throughout my city and such. Nowheres extreme; although, at the moment, my laptop doesn't have a modem, hence why I asked for what frequences are in use. I'm going to be installing one and don't want to blow money on a module I can't use, haha.

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your laptop should work fine with Public Mobile.  There is no restrictions from Public Mobile's end on what device you can use.  As long as the device supports Public Mobile's  frequency requirements and network type, you should be good to go.  Your laptop's LTE modem has a very good chance of working with Public Mobile.  

My concern is where you intend to use the laptop, and the problem with a LTE modem from 2011.

There have been quite a few 700 mhz LTE bands that Telus has on their towers that were not available in 2011, so LTE modems of that era did not support them.  700 mhz bands have the advantage of long range, which would be helpful for areas you are going to be.  That does not make your laptop modem useless, just that you might have to be closer to towers to get working service.  

Saying that, you would still have access to 850 mhz 3G, and your laptop apparently has really good antennas, so it might not be as big as issue.  In any case, it is worth trying out.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@ALoganI personally find on group trips where my friends have a mix of Rogers and Bellus.. Rogers seems to have better reception on more remote waters on the west coast.. your mileage really varies, depending on where you want to go.. as I had said double check the coverage maps when you plan your trip.. also make sure your LTE modem has the antennas for the main bands.. some don't.

@ALogan wrote:

Thanks for the quick response. Just to clarify, what are the frequencies, specifically, if you happen to know? I've looked online and can't find any up to date information.

@ALoganThe current LTE bands used by the Telus network are:
B2 (1900 MHz or PCS)
B4 (2100 MHz or 1700 MHz or AWS / AWS-1)
B5 (850 MHz or CELLULAR / CLR)
B7 (2600 MHz or 2500 MHz or BRS)
B12/B17 (700 MHz or MBS)
B13 (700 MHz or MBS)
B29 (700 MHz or MBS), for downlink only (SCC for CA only)
B30 (2300 MHz or WCS), for TELUS only (not shared with Bell at this time)
B66 (2100 MHz or 1700 MHz or AWS-3), not deployed yet

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ALogan wrote:

Thanks for the quick response. Just to clarify, what are the frequencies, specifically, if you happen to know? I've looked online and can't find any up to date information.

Maybe this will help?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/td-p/130581/page...

@ALoganHere is a list. Do note because the network is digital, frequencies matter, but you also have to consider protocol. Your modem might use the same frequencies but if it doesn't understand the protocol it won't work.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@ALogan wrote:

Hello, all

I've recently acquired a laptop capable of connecting to mobile networks (An older Getac B300 in case anyone was wondering), and I was curious about whether or not anybody here had experience with mobile data equipped laptops. Is there anything I should know, i.e ToS violations or something? If Public Mobile allows this, I'm definitely going to be staying on board. Also, as a side note, what frequencies does Public Mobile use in the maritimes?

@ALogan  Public Mobile offers a 1GB LTE Data only plan for $30.00 you can also build your own if you need more data. Public Mobile runs on the Telus netowork and has a tower sharing agreement with Bell. This site provides location of cell towers. By entering your location you can see what coverage is like in your area. This may help determine if there are signal problems.

ALogan

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@ALoganAs long as the laptop's LTE modem is unlocked you are good to go. As long as Telus network reaches you on the water (same frequencies as land), there will be black spots, you are okay. Just note cellular towers are optimized for on land use.. on the water you better double check the coverage map.

Need Help? Let's chat.