cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WCDMA is 3g?

Slasonder
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm looking at transferring over to public mobile and trying to figure out which plan would be similar to my current Telus one. I've got a Galaxy note 9 that I set my network mode to WCDMA only. I don't use LTE, because I find the coverage is poor in to many areas I am at. 

I'd like the same speeds with Public as I do currently with Telus. Do I sign up for the 3g plan, or the 4g plan? 

Model of my phone is SM-960W. 

16 REPLIES 16

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

I believe it was on Howard Forums that I read that DC-HSPA+ is no longer a thing in some places of the country.  That could explain why I get substantially higher results on a consistent basis.

@computergeek541 that's probably the difference.  Where I am right now in Vancouver burbs, I guess it dc-hspa+ must be disabled.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 actually, this is more typical:  download speeds about double that of throttled LTE, and upload a little better than half:

Screenshot_20190212-154304.jpg

It can'be just me who gets the speeds that I just told you about on the 3g network.  I do believe there is a difference in the network configuration, and I believe it was on Howard Forums that I read that DC-HSPA+ is no longer a thing in some places of the country.  That could explain why I get substantially higher results on a consistent basis.

@srlawren wrote:

EDIT:

@computergeek541 wrote:

4.4Mbps seems a little high to me.  

Not really.  I just set my Koodo SIM to 3G only and tested, got 5.5 down/0.76 up first try and 5.06/0.43 on my second try.  4.4 is a realistic real-word HSPA+ speed, and on the low side of what is possible.  I've definitely tested higher at times.

RE-edit:  for most uses, with a "3G" plan, you're going to be a bit faster by forcing HSPA+.  However, your upload speeds will suffer, since the throttled LTE is at approx 3Mbps each direction.  So if you need faster upload speeds, better to keep LTE enabled.

I'm trying to say that 4.4Mbps is on the high side for a throttled 3Mbps connection, relating to how Luddite was saying that he thinks that Public Mobile also throttles his 3g network connections.  That might not be throttling but all the network is capable of there.

srlawren

@computergeek541 actually, this is more typical:  download speeds about double that of throttled LTE, and upload a little better than half:

Screenshot_20190212-154304.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

I was kinda keeping quiet earlier about the "3g" speeds that I get.

@computergeek541 there seems to be little point to that.  It's been brought up publicly a nubmer of times and in the well-over-a-year the "3G" plans have been offered, has yet to be rectified.  

Along with the several other undocumented benefits we receive. I'm sure PM is well aware of them but...yet to be rectified.

But I would agree with computergeek541 that maybe we don't need to keep mentioning them openly.

srlawren

@computergeek541 wrote:

I was kinda keeping quiet earlier about the "3g" speeds that I get.

@computergeek541 there seems to be little point to that.  It's been brought up publicly a nubmer of times and in the well-over-a-year the "3G" plans have been offered, has yet to be rectified.  

EDIT:

@computergeek541 wrote:

4.4Mbps seems a little high to me.  

Not really.  I just set my Koodo SIM to 3G only and tested, got 5.5 down/0.76 up first try and 5.06/0.43 on my second try.  4.4 is a realistic real-word HSPA+ speed, and on the low side of what is possible.  I've definitely tested higher at times.

RE-edit:  for most uses, with a "3G" plan, you're going to be a bit faster by forcing HSPA+.  However, your upload speeds will suffer, since the throttled LTE is at approx 3Mbps each direction.  So if you need faster upload speeds, better to keep LTE enabled.

@Luddite wrote:

@stonechucker My experience testing 3G speed is that it was throttled when my phone was set to LTE or 3G. It sometimes took a day or two for the throttle to become effective. Tested just now: 4.4 Mbps down, 1.7 up, Ping 37 ms.

4.4Mbps seems a little high to me.  I am wondering if that 4.4Mbps test result (on 3g?) was just because of network conditions there, but maybe not because of throttling.  I was kinda keeping quiet earlier about the "3g" speeds that I get.

@stonechucker wrote:

@computergeek541, if the user is setting their phone to the CDMA network setting already, they're using the actual 3G network, and should still be able to get the same speeds.

The 3G offerings only throttle access on the LTE network.  The 'actual' 3G network shouldn't be affected at all.

@stonechucker My experience testing 3G speed is that it was throttled when my phone was set to LTE or 3G. It sometimes took a day or two for the throttle to become effective. Tested just now: 4.4 Mbps down, 1.7 up, Ping 37 ms.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren

@stonechucker wrote:

@computergeek541, yes, that is currently what the user is doing, ignoring the LTE, and using strictly the WCDMA (3G) network.  So, in my mind, they could still purchase the 3G speed offerings, and enjoy what should be 'no change in service'.

@stonechucker agreed.  @Slasonder  so long as you plan to keep forcing your phone to WCDMA only, you will actually get the same speeds with a "3G" or full speed ("LTE") plan at Public Mobile, and both should be equivalent to the speeds you are getting on WCDMA with Telus.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@computergeek541, if the user is setting their phone to the CDMA network setting already, they're using the actual 3G network, and should still be able to get the same speeds.

The 3G offerings only throttle access on the LTE network.  The 'actual' 3G network shouldn't be affected at all.

True, but I didn't actually say anything about what the speeds would be like on the 3g network, only that for fastest possible speeds, an LTE plan would be needed (and also user being connected to LTE network).

@computergeek541, yes, that is currently what the user is doing, ignoring the LTE, and using strictly the WCDMA (3G) network.  So, in my mind, they could still purchase the 3G speed offerings, and enjoy what should be 'no change in service'.

@stonechucker wrote:

True, but I didn't actually say anything about what the speeds would be like on the 3g network, only that for fastest possible speeds, an LTE plan would be needed (and also user being connected to LTE network).

@Slasonder wrote:

Thanks! 

Worst case scenario, I guess I'll just change the plan if it isn't sufficient. 

I watch hockey games on my ipad hotspotting of my iPhone while at the lake and the coverage ain't the greatest there.

Slasonder
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks! 

Worst case scenario, I guess I'll just change the plan if it isn't sufficient. 

@Slasonder wrote:

I'm looking at transferring over to public mobile and trying to figure out which plan would be similar to my current Telus one. I've got a Galaxy note 9 that I set my network mode to WCDMA only. I don't use LTE, because I find the coverage is poor in to many areas I am at. 

I'd like the same speeds with Public as I do currently with Telus. Do I sign up for the 3g plan, or the 4g plan? 

If you want the same speeds as Telus while connected to the LTE network, you'd have to take an LTE data plan.  LTE speeds are reduced to a lower speed if you take a 3g data plan.

I know that you're saying that you have LTE turned off, but you're going to have to choose between fastest possible speeds and plan cost savings.

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@Slasonder wrote:

Hi,

Here is a good link. https://willmyphonework.net/

If you are having poor coverage the 3g will be fine. It is still on the 4g/LTE network just the 3g plans are throttled to 3g speeds

Need Help? Let's chat.