cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail with textnow when in Mexico?

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

A question not for me..I will not travel to Mexico..Smiley triste but another customer. Is it possible to check our public mobile voicemail when we are in Mexico with the application Textnow? Or is it another solution to check our voicemail when we are outside of Canada? Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

hamaida
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@CalgaryBenIf have unlimited calling plan will coast you nothing when you forward your number to any other number. Its free! most people now in nulimited plans.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hamaida wrote:

or forward your local number to "Text now" number for free.

That's a pretty good idea... TextNow has its own voicemail system, and has a form of "visual voicemail" so you can view/listen to them.  I've never used this feature of TextNow myself, so can't speak to it.  But assuming @Lieux's friends have no plans to get a Mexican SIM and a data plan, this would allow VM retrieval once back in WiFi.  (Or, assuming they have an unlocked phone, get the Mexican SIM with data, and they'll be reachable on their own number...).  Combine with Hangouts or Voico, and they call back home as if calling from their own cell line...

(One thing to keep in mind, for anybody on metered minutes, is that forwarding to another number does consume minutes.  Not sure if that's applicable here...)

hamaida
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Lieux You can call your number from any App provied local calling and lesen to your voicemail after press * and enter your pin number.

Or you can forward you phone number to one of these Apps and recieve your calls free in Mexico.

Try App "Text now" you can get free canadian or us number. I use it when traviling, calling and text for free through Wifi or data so you can call your Canadian number to check your voicsmail. or forward your local number to "Text now" number for free.

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@wetcoaster  maybe you misunderstood what I said, I am saying you can use the local number to check voicemail but from the country outside canada, it will cause international call when you dial a canadian number.

@slash407 wrote:

as long as ur only using wifi, u'll b good, just dont turn on data

Once you cross Canadian border, all PM service ceases...including data. No point turning it off 'cause it won't work anyhow.

If you have one of the US Roaming Add-ons, then it'll work in USA only.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Lieux wrote:

Is it possible to check our public mobile voicemail when we are in Mexico with the application Textnow? Or is it another solution to check our voicemail when we are outside of Canada? Thanks.

TextNow is a very good solution (dial your PM number, let it go to VM, press *, then PIN, then #).

If the user wants an even easier solution, I'd recommend Voico or Hangouts with verified phone number, and then disable the PIN requirement when calling from your own number (access your VM, then from the main menu, press 4 to access personal options, then 4 for personal preferences, and then 8 to skip requiring your passcode when calling from your own phone).  Then, in Voico or Hangouts, add a contact/speed dial to your VM access number (typically areacode+580-4001 but to be sure, find yours here).  Voila... quick/easy access to your PM VM using VOIP from anywhere in the world!

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Lieux wrote:

A question not for me..I will not travel to Mexico..Smiley Sad but another customer. Is it possible to check our public mobile voicemail when we are in Mexico with the application Textnow? Or is it another solution to check our voicemail when we are outside of Canada? Thanks.

As long as you have a robust wifi connection, you should be able to dial back to your PM voicemail number. I've used textnow to call home from Mx...just never to my voicemail. Good luck.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Lieux , I am not a text now user, so I cannot confirm not deny whether it's possible.  However, I can provide a solution that I know does work.  Use hangouts with hangouts dialer to call back to Canada.  Calls back to North America are free with hangouts.  

@missorange wrote:

I think you can check your voicemail from local number by dialing your number. it should charge international long distance. 

Why? The phone / voice mail box is "in Canada", it doesn't care where the call originates from. Consensus is that checking your voice mail from another number than your own doesn't count against airtime of limited talk plans, and it will make no difference to plans with unlimited numbers.

Call your own cell number from the VOIP app of your choice when on WiFi (or a local data plan), after connecting to your voice mail box press star (*) followed by your Voice Mail PIN.

Edited for clarity...

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I think you can check your voicemail from local number by dialing your number. it should charge international long distance. 

Need Help? Let's chat.