cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail access

Antonia1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I try to call for my voicemail, the message says I don't have a necessary add-on. What add-on? I'm in Canada, not roaming. Help appreciated.

36 REPLIES 36

@Antonia1 wrote:

@will13am #1 key and the autodialing is connecting to a PM line but not one I can access so I don't think it's bypassed. I can't see that autodial number or how to replace it with the one that works. I originally signed up and activated in the big city - not where I actually live - and the access numbers are different.

It depends on your dialers, its functionality and other options available on the phone.  I use the stock google dialer and I have google voice enabled.  Under voicemail in the dialer settings, I have the option to use carrier voice mail or google voice.  When I select the carrier voice mail, the number that unanswered calls route to and the number that speed dial 1 routes to are controlled by the network.  It should auto navigate the area code so that customers are not forced into long distance call regardless of long distance is included in the plan. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Antonia1 wrote:

@Anonymous Thanks, there's the problem. My voicemail messages are being received on the Vancouver Island number. My phone is autodialing Vancouver where I activated. It's one number different - 581, not 580. Now to find out how to change that on my phone.

I have Canada wide calling.

But that should still go to your voicemail. I just tried it, manually punching in the numbers - works flawlessly.

Yup. I tried the 902 Nova Scotia number and it went to my voicemail. I'm in BC too.

(that just cost me a minute 🙂 )

@Antonia1 wrote:

@Anonymous Thanks, there's the problem. My voicemail messages are being received on the Vancouver Island number. My phone is autodialing Vancouver where I activated. It's one number different - 581, not 580. Now to find out how to change that on my phone.

But that should still go to your voicemail. I just tried it, manually punching in the numbers - works flawlessly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Antonia1 wrote:

It's all up there in my post you replied to. Your phone dialer should have settings or you can use these codes. The one I gave you is the no answer forwarding.

Antonia1

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Antonia1 wrote:

@will13am #1 key and the autodialing is connecting to a PM line but not one I can access so I don't think it's bypassed. I can't see that autodial number or how to replace it with the one that works. I originally signed up and activated in the big city - not where I actually live - and the access numbers are different.

*#61# gets you the current setting.

*61*17785814001*30# gets you a maximum 30 second delay of ring time before it drops to voicemail. But your dialer really should have settings to set these.

You can actually call any of the access numbers across the country to get into your voicemail. It just makes sense to use one in your province if you might only have province-wide calling.

Antonia1

@Lieux wrote:

I am agree with you @computergeek541 and I want to propose a change with the buttons above...SOLUTION and REPLY are very close on my phone... Inadvertently we can push the ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION... instead of REPLY...I don’t know if it was the case or not it’s only a suggestion ...

That is very true about how they are beside each other.  A lot of new users also won't realize that it factors into the reward calculation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was hinting. 🙂

But to be fair, there are some forums that the OP "closes" the thread. Here, that's equivalent to the Accept as solution button. But here, that's not the intent of it. Here, it's tagging which post was the actual solution to the OP.

tl;dr again? 🙂

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Antonia1, it's great that the problem is resolved.  However, it's an inconvenient workaround.  The local voicemail number is supposed to follow you so that you don't have to manually dial the local number.  The phone app is supposed to get the local voicemail phone number from the network and use speed dial #1.  I am wondering if the voicemail setting is bypassed on your phone.  I don't own your particular model of phone and so I don't know the app menu and how options are laid out. There should be something in the menus to do with voicemail.  Take a look and try to remove any manual override and go back to default settings.  Here's the knowledge base article for accessing voicemail.  Speed dial #1 should work universally on all phones.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-To-Use-Your-Phone-and-Plan-Feature...

I am agree with you @computergeek541 and I want to propose a change with the buttons above...SOLUTION and REPLY are very close on my phone... Inadvertently we can push the ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION... instead of REPLY...I don’t know if it was the case or not it’s only a suggestion ...

@Antonia1, part of the purpose of the accepted solution is to let others know that the problem has been fixed.  However, it is also largely to recognize the efforts of members who have come to your aid.  In addition, solutions play a part in helping members earn monthly community rewards, which means that people marking their own posts a solution is strongly discouraged.  If you have found one particular response to your issue from another member especially helpful, it would be appreciated if you could mark that mesaage as the solution.  Thanks.

Antonia1

@Anonymous I didn't get to try the *#61# code - and it's unfamiliar to me. *86 is what came up on my alert as the autodial and it did connect with the PM system - if only to tell me I couldn't connect. I never saw what number that was calling.

Some bugs in the system to work out, it seems. Thanks for your support.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Antonia1 wrote:

The voicemail access problem is resolved. *86 and holding the 1 key apparently does not work in my area as the problem continued after suspending and re-connecting the service. (I live outside of a major urban area.)

I have accessed voicemail by dialing the service number for my area - which I would never have learned without this community. Mailbox is up and running.

If you are reading this because you may have the same issue, follow the link provided by @Shazia_K in the thread above to find the direct line in your area and try calling that before doing anything else.

Thanks for the update.

What number appeared when you tried the *#61# code in your dialer?

I hadn't heard about *86 before.

You should be able to set the voicemail number that works in your dialer settings.

Antonia1

The voicemail access problem is resolved. *86 and holding the 1 key apparently does not work in my area as the problem continued after suspending and re-connecting the service. (I live outside of a major urban area.)

I have accessed voicemail by dialing the service number for my area - which I would never have learned without this community. Mailbox is up and running.

If you are reading this because you may have the same issue, follow the link provided by @Shazia_K in the thread above to find the direct line in your area and try calling that before doing anything else.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Antonia1 wrote:

@wetcoaster Excellent, thank you. I'll try that as needed.

So @Antonia1: You marked your reply as the solution but it's only indirectly a solution. Was the phone number provided by wetcoaster the answer to your problem?

Antonia1

@wetcoaster Excellent, thank you. I'll try that as needed.

@Antonia1 wrote:
What make/model is the phone?

Also try *#61# in your dialer and it should give you the current voicemail number and let us know what it is and if you will what province you're in.

Samsung Galaxy 5s. I've suspended service and will reconnect in a bit. I'm on Vancouver Island. Will check back in a while. Thanks to everyone.

As a fellow Islander: 778-581-4001 is connecting me to my voice mail box.

Antonia1

Also try *#61# in your dialer and it should give you the current voicemail number and let us know what it is and if you will what province you're in.

Samsung Galaxy 5s. I've suspended service and will reconnect in a bit. I'm on Vancouver Island. Will check back in a while. Thanks to everyone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Antonia1 wrote:

I think you asked me what happens when I hold the 1 key - I still get the same message about the add-on.

Edit: @Antonia1: What plan are you on? If the $10 plan maybe you've used all your minutes.

Antonia1
@Antonia1 wrote:

Other calls work. As it happens, I have 2 SIM cards and accounts because of issues with my first one (that I was porting a number to). Neither of them access the voicemail system.

You have 2 SIM's with Public Mobile? Has this been working for you? I had gathered that it shouldn't but I'm not sure.

Again...try pressing and holding the 1 key on the dialer.

And the lost/stolen suggested earlier.

I set up a completely different account. I will try your lost/stolen suggestion. Many thanks.

Antonia1

I think you asked me what happens when I hold the 1 key - I still get the same message about the add-on.

@Antonia1 wrote:

Other calls work. As it happens, I have 2 SIM cards and accounts because of issues with my first one (that I was porting a number to). Neither of them access the voicemail system.

@Antonia1Try this Log into your self serve (my account) CLICK HERE then click “Plan and Add-on” then click “Lost/Stolen Phone” and click “Suspend Service” and click the “logout” button near your name/account balance. Wait 10 minutes. Log back and do the exact same procedure except this time click reactivate service phone found, reboot your phone. This seems to reset you sim / account and may fix your issue.

If it does not help, contact the moderator team.

Use this link to send a message to the moderator team.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Antonia1 wrote:

You have 2 SIM's with Public Mobile? Has this been working for you? I had gathered that it shouldn't but I'm not sure.

Again...try pressing and holding the 1 key on the dialer.

And the lost/stolen suggested earlier.

Antonia1

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Antonia1 wrote:

I get the same message.

Who are you replying to?

I am thinking maybe the voice plan wasn't activated properly.  Do other calls work?  Does it say you need add on or you don't have a talk plan?

Antonia1

I get the same message.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Antonia1

I don't know what the number for voicemail is. I call *86. I tried (area code)-580-4001 but it's privately held.

Need Help? Let's chat.