cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice calls cut out all the time

Curlyjosi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, 

I have a Samsung S9+ and never had problems when I was with Telus, but ever since the switch my calls cut out(incoming and outgoing) all the time and often I lose the connection entirely. 

No problems otherwise. 

Help!

7 REPLIES 7

419mainstreet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Have you downloaded any new apps recently?

Safe Mode

If you suspect that an app is causing issues with your Phone app then restart your Galaxy S9 in safe mode. Once you do this, only the apps that came with your phone remain.

Test to see if your phone makes calls successfully. If it does then you know that there’s an app installed that’s causing interference. Delete apps one by one and check to see if the S9 makes calls after each app uninstall.

Also it might be worth clearing the phone app data:

Phone App Data

• Open Settings either through your notification bar (drop-down) or through the Settings app in your app drawer.
  • Tap Apps.
  • Tap More settings (three-dot icon) at the upper right.
  • Tap Show system apps.
  • Look for the Phone app and tap it.
  • A list of stuff of information about the app, including Storage, Permissions, Memory Use, and more appears. These are all clickable items. Click on Storage.
  • Tap CLEAR DATA.
  • Check if your S9 makes calls without cutting out.

Please note that the above method erases your call logs. If you want to save the logs backup your information using your phone’s backup & restore feature.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Curlyjosi 

• turn off the phone and remove/reinsert the sim 
  • reset your network settings
  • 1. Open Settings>General Management>Reset
    2. Tap Reset Network Settings>Tap Reset Settings
    If prompted enter your pin, passcode
    3. Tap Reset Settings 1 more time to confirm
    4. Restart

if your signal doesn't improve your last option would be to try out a cellphone booster. make sure to purchase one with bands 2(1900mhz) and band 5(850mhz)

@Curlyjosi wrote:

Well to be honest I don't go out much(mat leave) It happens at home and I've dropped a call once while driving in town too.

@Curlyjosi , what is the signal strength of your connection when you are in a voice call?  If it is really low, disconnects could happen.  Usually, phones are capable of scaling up output to address poor connectivity.  I live in an area of town that has very low tower density due to lots of single family detached properties in the area and on 4G/LTE, the connection actually can jump back and forth between no connection and weak connection.  However, when in a phone call, I do no suffer dropped call issue, not even when taking a call in basement.  

cbenny13
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Or get in touch with PM moderators/customer service to see if PM is really right for you.

@Curlyjosi 

Interesting, Public mobile is a Telus company so it uses the same Telus towers.  As mentioned above, Telus does have VoLTE while Public mobile does not.  

Maybe try to reboot phone,  Network reset of phone.  

You could also try the SIM card in another working phone.  That helps determine whether hardware issue versus PM service problem.  

Curlyjosi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Well to be honest I don't go out much(mat leave) It happens at home and I've dropped a call once while driving in town too.

@Curlyjosi wrote:

I have a Samsung S9+ and never had problems when I was with Telus, but ever since the switch my calls cut out(incoming and outgoing) all the time and often I lose the connection entirely. 

No problems otherwise. 

There could be a temporary network problem. Also, it's possible, that you were using VoLTE at Telus Mobility, something that Public Mobile doesn't support.  LTE has a 700MHz band that can help, especially with indoor and underground coverage.  Is this happening everywhere you try using your phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.