cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vancouver-Based 902 Area Code Number

petersun
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I activated a nation-wide calling and texting plan a few days ago. I am based in Vancouver, and in the list of numbers to choose from, I could either get area code 236 or area code 902. I liked the 902 number so I chose it.

I have no problem calling or texting other people, since my plan is nation-wide. However, will my friends/family here in Vancouver be charged long-distance when they call me? To clarify, I will be receiving calls in Vancouver.

Also of interest is that I had several 902 numbers to choose from when I activated. Were they geniunely allocated by the CRTC for use in Vancouver? I am asking these questions because I want to avoid having to change this phone number.

Since I was not able to find a satisfactory answer to this question through my forum search, I would appreciate some help @CS_Agent.

4 REPLIES 4

@petersun wrote:

In that case I have a general question. Suppose that my friend has a (514) number but is staying in Vancouver. Assuming that I only have a provincial plan, will I be charged long-distance even though I am speaking to someone who is physically in my calling zone?

The phone are code of the 514 area code firend makes no difference.  Outgoing calls for this friend can be made from Vancouver to any B.C. phone number while there.  Keep in mind that anyone try to call this friend will be dialing a Montreal phone number.  So yes, if that friend is next to you and you call, you won't be covered by a provincial calling plan;  the call just won't go through unless you get a long distance add-on. 

petersun
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In that case I have a general question. Suppose that my friend has a (514) number but is staying in Vancouver. Assuming that I only have a provincial plan, will I be charged long-distance even though I am speaking to someone who is physically in my calling zone?

In regards to my original inquiry, I am not the only one having to choose between 236 and 902. When I activated a SIM for my father yesterday, 902 numbers still appeared. I checked at London Drugs and 902 options (specifically, 902-301-XXXX) were also available for Vancouver-based clients. In fact, searching this forum, I found a few other threads regarding Vancouverites getting 902 numbers.

From the responses so far, it seems that this is a system glitch. Maybe a moderator could confirm that? It just seems peculiar that these options are still widely available.

Huh?  902 area code phone numbers are most definitely not Vancouver-based phone numbers.  They are from a different province altogether (Nova Scotia).  You can still take one of these phone numbers if you wish, but know that it most cost some of the people who wish to you call you long distance charges.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

Interesting, because 902 is reserved for New Brunswick or Nova Scotia?

The CRTC says a new area code is needed because options with the other four — 604, 778, 250 and 236 — are expected to run out by May 2020. The new 672 code will be used to cover the entire province, just like 236 and 778. Code 604 covers the Lower Mainland and 250 is only outside of Metro Vancouver (CBC Story)

Now, I do have a former student who is from Edmonton but moved here is using an Edmonton area code of 780, but, when you call it sometimes, it says it is a long distance. And other times, it is fine. 

For 902, Area codes 902 and 782. Area code 902 and overlay area code 782 are the telephone area codes in the Canadian provinces of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. The 902 area code is one of the 86 original area codes established in the North American Numbering Plan in October 1947

Need Help? Let's chat.