cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP.MS on a data plan

PBRick
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm new to PM, but I've had a VOIP.MS number for a long time. I have a MOTO G5 phone, which I've been able to set up to make and receive calls on WIFI though my VOIP.MS number, and can also text via an Android app (can't with the Google message app).

So I decided to get a PM data only plan to see if I could also call with my VOIP.MS number when not on WIFI. It's only 250MB, so I've cut off PM data access to many apps (except my text app, FB Messanger, Phone and 'carrier services'). So now on can text when on PM, and make outgoing calls, but I can't receive incoming. Is this just the way data works on PM - incoming SIP calls are not allowed? Or is there an additional app I need to allow access to PM?  

12 REPLIES 12

PBRick

Thank you - Zoiper is the way to go - at least until Android (or maybe it's voip.ms) fixes the incoming call problem with the native Android phone app. I also like Zoiper because it allows me to text via my DID as well - although it's stil in beta with voip.ms. If Zoiper does miss a text, I still can pick it up with the voip.ms text app. 

PBRick

I've been using Zoiper for a while now, and the data use isn't too bad - only about 2.5MB, but I've only made/received 3 or 4 calls in two weeks. But there's not threat to my 250MB cap. And I'm getting at least two days of battery on my Moto G5.

No it's much worse

Same idea with any data app that you have running constantly (think Pokemon Go etc)

And I'm willing to accept the hit on battery life - wouldn't it be a similar hit with a 'normal' cell phone number? 

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@PBRick wrote:

Thanks, voip.ms support mentioned a possible issue with the built in Android phone app, so I'm giving Zoiper a shot. 

For the Zoiper app, it will need background data + unrestricted data usage:

Open Zoiper -> go to settings -> Connectivity

Enable Keep Alive WiFi (unless you want to switch to 3g/4g when the wireless turns off).

Stay awake is on

Run in background is on

Then go to Android Settings -> Apps -> Zoiper -> Data Usage

Enable background data

Enable Unrestricted data usage

https://www.zoiper.com/en/support/home/article/18/Incoming_calls_are_not_working#android 

PBRick

Thanks, voip.ms support mentioned a possible issue with the built in Android phone app, so I'm giving Zoiper a shot. 

Rdasm

I use Zoiper for VoIP calls and text and it works great on PM.

PBRick

I'm just using the regular phone app, in my calling account settings I have 'make calls with my voip.ms sub account', 'use SIP calling' for all calls, receive incoming calls is checked, etc.

Most of my data has been disabled, I may enable all data (for a short period of time) to see if that allows incoming.

PBRick

I have my phone set up as a 'sub account' on my DID - it has to register with voip.ms to be active. And I've set it up to ring simutaneously with my home DID (landline). So maybe the problem is that, when I 'roam' (go off WIFI) my registration drops and I don't re-register through the PM data connection?

I've aggressively limited data on the phone since I'm (currently) cheaping out on 250MB, maybe I've been a little too agressive? 🙂 Or maybe what I want to do (receive incoming from vopi.ms) can't be done, I may surf over to voip.ms support and ask some questions...

I've also go an VoIP.ms account setup on my stock dialer on the Nexus 5, Android 6.0.1

I've used it to make calls while on cellular data, but I've not received calls.

I've had issues where the regular SIM card phone number has somehow been forced on as always use, but I have my dialer app settings set for 'always ask'.  Flakey for me, but it does work on data.

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Are you using an app with VoIP.ms?  You might need to enable background data and unlimited data usage.

PBRick

Thanks, I think I have that setting enabled - I have 'receive incoming calls' ticked in settings/call settings/calling accounts. And I can receive on WIFI - just not while only connected to PM.

And I'm willing to accept the hit on battery life - wouldn't it be a similar hit with a 'normal' cell phone number? 

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Its a phone setting

Leaving your voip line open to receive incoming calls is disabled by default since it wastes data and will use ALOT of battery life

Need Help? Let's chat.