cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using voucher without plan?

VicPerson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, is it possible to purchase a Public Mobile SIM card without a plan? The intended user will not be making many calls or texts per month, so I’m wondering if it is possible to purchase a $10 voucher for their account, and have funds deducted from there when they’re making the occasional call or text. 

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

I'm guessing mobile phone with mobile calling (or calling-over-data) is preferred.

If it's only used from home then likely cheaper to get a cordless landline/VoIP phone. If you rely on free WiFi (at restaurants, malls, hotspots) then you may not always have access to free calling when you want/need it.

Public Mobile does not have any pay-per-minute pay-per-use Plans, and does not have any Add-ons which can be used witbout an active Plan. 7-Eleven's SpeakOut (from Rogers) does, and @popping's summary is accurate. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@VicPerson wrote:

Hi, is it possible to purchase a Public Mobile SIM card without a plan? The intended user will not be making many calls or texts per month, so I’m wondering if it is possible to purchase a $10 voucher for their account, and have funds deducted from there when they’re making the occasional call or text. 

Thanks!

@VicPerson  You might be better off starting the user off with a phone using Wi-Fi  and an app like textnow where you can make free calls and texts over the internet. With widely available free wifi and the user not making many calls or texts it might suit their needs. You can always sign up for deal alerts to see if the $10 plan comes back as a limited time offer.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi

You should check out speekout wireless, $25 will last 365 days

BUT minutes are expensive 0.3, you roam everywhere outside your local area which more doubles the minutes , long distance is 0.45 on top of minutes and there is $1.25 monthly fee. Texts are .15 and mms .5

Unless you are using it as a pager it ends up way more expressive than the old 10 plan. I know i tried it.

It is a great pager though incoming sms is free

Pc mobile is similar but the minutes lasted less last time i checked

Public had a great 10 plan with 50 minutes and 50 outhoing messages included which costed actually 8 with autopay. I saw people selling them on Craigslist/kijiji even somebody posted here but post was taken down. You can ask on reddit too

The good thing about current 15 plan is the small data that you can use to turn it into virtually unlimited calling

Hope it helps

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@VicPerson wrote:

Thanks!

@VicPerson  No, thats not how public mobile works, its minimum $13 per month ($15 plan with $2 autopay discount) and for every year they stay goes down by $1 per month (public mobile month = 30 days) till $5 for 5 years loyalty being $8 per month. For unlimited text and 100 mins per 30 days, they used to have a plan starting at $10 per month but axed that not long ago.

Edit- There are other companies that work the way you speak of, however they still require certain top up requirements where the money expires unless more is added periodically. I'd go with public mobile $15 plan for $13 with autopay and enjoy the long term savings as loyalty discounts kick in and eventually is $8 a month. Ya just can't beat the value of public mobile.

@VicPerson...additionally, if you get an account active before midnight on Dec 25th, you can get the FREE recent Xmas gift from Public Mobile consisting of 1Gb of data add-on AND 400 minutes of International Calling add-on...FREE. At renewal time, any used gift data add-on or 400 minutes of International calling add-on will roll over to your next renewal...until you use them up even if it takes several month to do so.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@VicPerson 

The cheapest PM plan is $13 after $2 autopay reward.

The $13 plan has 100 Canada wide minutes.  Whether you use it or not, you will be paying $13/30 days.

If this is a backup phone, you may consider 7-11 SPeakout with $25 topup and the fund will last for 12 months before it expires.  But there is $1.25/m fix charge whether you make any calls or not. The fixed charge will cost $15/year.  IIRC, each minute will cost 30 cents.  This is a pure pay as you go plan. 

If you don't use any minutes, it will cost you $1.25 per month Vs PM $13 per 30 days.

If you use over 40 minutes per month, it will be cheaper to get PM $13 plan with 100 Canada Wide minutes per 30 days.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@VicPerson wrote:

Thanks!

@VicPerson  No, thats not how public mobile works, its minimum $13 per month ($15 plan with $2 autopay discount) and for every year they stay goes down by $1 per month (public mobile month = 30 days) till $5 for 5 years loyalty being $8 per month. For unlimited text and 100 mins per 30 days, they used to have a plan starting at $10 per month but axed that not long ago.

Edit- There are other companies that work the way you speak of, however they still require certain top up requirements where the money expires unless more is added periodically. I'd go with public mobile $15 plan for $13 with autopay and enjoy the long term savings as loyalty discounts kick in and eventually is $8 a month. Ya just can't beat the value of public mobile.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@VicPerson wrote:

Thanks!

You need a sim card AND an account with a plan to make any calls. You can apply a payment voucher to your plan...but be aware that some retailer suppliers don't activate the vouchers for several hours after the sale. Shell gas stations activate right away, I'm led to believe though.

Currently, the leanest calling plan is $15 per 30 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.