cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using $25 plan(unlimited Canada wide talk). It says "Long distance charges may be applied" whenever

jiyeong6766
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, The $25 plan includes unlimited Canada wide talk, but I always here the message says Long distance charges may be applied. Should I just ignore? Also, it sometimes says I can't make the call because it's a long distance call. Is there something wrong?

28 REPLIES 28

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yes of course one can only iMessage between iPhones. However in my case, many months ago I signed up on the PM $15 plan but still kept my $50. + Bell account.  I did cancel my bell account because the $15 plan did the job for me. Even though just to be safe I have added extra voice minutes and data they mostly remain unchanged and just roll over.

Most of my texts go iMessage- my phone Google Maps gps doesn’t need data — just about everywhere there is free WIFI - and I have my phone set up to auto connect to them eg Walmart, Canadian Tire, coffee shops and restaurants. When wifi is weak I use my data for simple searches such as price checks, google look ups etc. 
I’ very happy with my PM $15 plan despite the fact that on occasion it won’t allow voice calls because I now spend approx $40 less / month = $ 480 / year.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BEER wrote:

Sometimes I question as to why one needs a plan at all - a family member‘s plan had expired but they were completely unaware of it because they are using WIFI  at home , at School and at the malls and restaurants for IMessaging for texting and surfing the web utubing etc. 

iMessage is fine between iPhone's but not anything else without SMS cell service. But yes, with internet texting and calling apps one only needs a connection to the internet.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

“Some people are certainly using $15 plans and then adding 1GB data add-ons if needed over the 250MB per 30 days. 

Outgoing calls can be made for free over the internet using Hangouts, for example.  The $15 plan then takes care of any incoming“

Sometimes I question as to why one needs a plan at all - a family member‘s plan had expired but they were completely unaware of it because they are using WIFI  at home , at School and at the malls and restaurants for IMessaging for texting and surfing the web utubing etc. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

@Nezgar well yeah, except the ability to make voice calls without them being foggy and choppy, without having to care where you are or whether or not you have data left. 

Why have a phone plan if you're just going to internet call? 🤷

I used to have voip home phone it was terrible lol

Some people are certainly using $15 plans and then adding 1GB data add-ons if needed over the 250MB per 30 days. 

Outgoing calls can be made for free over the internet using Hangouts, for example.  The $15 plan then takes care of any incoming calls. 

Those same people would then likely get the $5 add-on at 1 cent per minute.

I only found TextNow useful when I was in the states last fall. A previous job had a voip line and it was indeed terrible. But there was nothing noticeable on that experience with TextNow.

When the time comes that I consume the data in my data line then I might be using it a little more for texts.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

@Nezgar well yeah, except the ability to make voice calls without them being foggy and choppy, without having to care where you are or whether or not you have data left. 

Some people are certainly using $15 plans and then adding 1GB data add-ons if needed over the 250MB per 30 days. 

Outgoing calls can be made for free over the internet using Hangouts, for example.  The $15 plan then takes care of any incoming calls. 

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello there z10user4,

Thank you for letting me know.

Wish you a great day,

Ana

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CS_Agent 

This thread and question from the customer has been solved as chosen by the customer.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello there jiyeong6766,

I hope you are having a very beautiful day!

I am contacting you from the moderators team.

For being better able to help you, would you please authenticate your account by accessing the link below?

Please click on the link below and follow the steps: https://bit.ly/2MFGUhe

I am waiting for your response.

Kind regards,

Ana

@jiyeong6766 

The advice from @will13am is a good idea if this happens to you frequently although there is at least one user who complains about this issue and apparently the moderators (or the ones he has been in contact with) have been unable to fix it for @BEER  (I think). I myself have heard both of these messages on occasion including a couple of times to my voicemail (you don't have a calling plan?) But they are infrequent so i have not been bothered to ask for a fix.

FYI...use the "@" key to bring up the pop up window ( or type in the username) to tag a member so they know you are referring to them or in your case thanking them for their advice.

@Pawprints1986 You mean something like... the Internet? 🤔

Pawprints1986

Wouldn't it be awesome if all cell plans connected to all locations as more of a global network? Like still having area codes and such just for identification but not charged other than your base plan no matter where you're calling, or where you're calling from? 

It'll never happen ever, but in a fair and equal world... 

Or prefix with 1 whether it's actually long distance or not. Then you'll never hear the message.

On a trip roaming in the US early this year, I found long distance calls would not complete at all without the 1.

porcupine
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes you should just ignore it

jiyeong6766

Thank you!

jiyeong6766

Thanks!!

jiyeong6766

Thanks!

pharaohpeter
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@wetcoasterSorry, I didn't even know that was a feature that Public Mobile had. I deleted my comment.

Thanks for letting me know.

@Anonymous yeah my sister lives out in langley. I didnt even realize his name was WETcoaster until now lol. Yeah I have noticed very sage advice from @wetcoaster good all around advice. 🙂

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jiyeong6766 , if your calls to a Canadian number does not go through, then the problem could be due to a provisioning glitch in your account.  In the early days particularly when province wide calling was the thing, this glitch was quite prevalent.  It doesn't seem to be the case anymore but stranger things can happen.  If you suspect an account provisioning problem, please reach out to the moderator team for assistance.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using smartforms which is initiated by clicking on the ? on the lower right corner of the webpage or try using this link. The guided process will facilitate documentation of the issue or concern and the required resolution which will be submitted to the moderator team. Refer to this announcement link for additional details on smartforms and the ticketing system for moderator team interactions. If use of smartform brings no joy, then use the following direct link to private message the moderator team. Refer to the following knowledge base article for additional information on the moderator team.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Naepalm wrote:

@jiyeong6766 Im on the same plan as you and yeah caught me off guard the first time but the calls have always gone through. I get that message and my wife does sometimes as well. learned through commmunity just what @wetcoaster said. Westcoaster may have had all their contacts with a 1 before the number prior and thats why they have never heard that message? Or maybe only us east coast folks get that message lol. 

I have not heard a message saying call can not be complete.

Maybe its the call can not be completed as dialed? Like your dialing the number wrong. 

wetcoaster is a long time seasoned participant here. His username would suggest being from the west as well as I am and that is a name we use out here. The wet coast.

I have had that message on many occasions when I forget the 1.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@jiyeong6766 Im on the same plan as you and yeah caught me off guard the first time but the calls have always gone through. I get that message and my wife does sometimes as well. learned through commmunity just what @wetcoaster said. Westcoaster may have had all their contacts with a 1 before the number prior and thats why they have never heard that message? Or maybe only us east coast folks get that message lol. 

I have not heard a message saying call can not be complete.

Maybe its the call can not be completed as dialed? Like your dialing the number wrong. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@jiyeong6766  Modify your contacts and add a +1 in front of the numbers and that message should go away. Don't worry to can ignore that message.

@pharaohpeter wrote:

It's normal to hear that message when you are calling someone with a different area code than yours.

However please note that if you call someone with a non-canadian number, you will be charged long distance.

I hope this helps!

@pharaohpeter 

Please do not provide wrong information.

Public Mobile is prepaid - there are never any overage or long distance charges here. If your plan and bought add-ons don't cover a feature (or a limited feature is used up, ie the 100 outgoing minutes on the $15 plan), you can not use it, it plain and simple doesn't work.

The first paragraph is also misleading: With the many overlaid area codes nowadays it is possible to connect to a number with a different area code as long as it has a prefix (second  three number block) that covers the same local area. Local example: 250-702-xxxx, 778-585-xxxxx and 236-255-xxxx all serve the Comox Valley (all different issuing carriers, though) and do not trigger the long distance message when calling each other.

@jiyeong6766 

All my number are saved in the +1-aaa-bbb-xxxx format, I don't think I've ever heard that long distance message since joining Public Mobile over three years ago (using limited and unlimited, province-wide and Canada-wide calling plans over time). Just stay on the line and, as long as the number is dialed correctly and the call is covered by your plan, it will complete.

Daps

@jiyeong6766Your plan includes unlimited calls to canadian numbers. The recorded message is just a default recording. To avoid misdials, always enter 1 followed by the 10 digit phone number.

If you attempt to dial a number outside of Canada, you will be permitted to call only if you have alreay purchased a long distance calling add-on. As public mobile is prepaid service, you will never be billed extra.

pharaohpeter
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@jiyeong6766 it could be you dialed the number incorrectly. Ignore the messages. PM is a prepaid service. There are never any overages. The call just won't be completed. Stay safe. 

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@jiyeong6766 Yes, just ignore the message. You can also add +1 in front of the area code of the phone you calling.

Need Help? Let's chat.