cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User interface protocol frustrations in trying to get SIM PUK

Theordore
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I accidentally used the three tries available to enter the Sim PIN correctly, and so I had to try and get the SIM PUK (or is it PUC)? The *only* source of this code involves a call to me by a PublicMobile Moderator. Getting to issue the request for that call was so frustrating ( go here to see the blow-by-blow account https://1drv.ms/b/s!ArCGwMW8jsTogReQnHnCwQBVW6Zz?e=hOisMq  with PASSWORD == PublicM0 -- last char. is zero) I ended up calling Bell Canada and got the same service (new SIM) at a cheaper monthly plan fee!.

Okay I may have executed some of those detailed steps incorrectly; but the user interface protocol should be robust enough to allow for users who do not know the fine details of the correct procedure (e.g. clearing browser cache).  This is too much pain to bear and still have to shell out $25 per month, when I get the same service at Bell for less.

10 REPLIES 10

@Theordore 

Thanks for answering my query. That is very reasonable wait time for customer service.

Wait times here lately have been about an hour on average. Simon is always recommended but I can't stand him so I have a method to my madness and send private messages only with some very quick responses. But sometimes but rarely like yesterday I sent one...no response so I followed up 6 hours later and another 6 hours went by til moderator day end and still no response. I sent a third message today and they replied in 17 minutes and resolved my issue and sent me a review link 11 minutes later.

Theordore

About 20 minutes.  I had to leave my number for a call-back, so I guess I was lucky in calling them at a 'slow' time of the day for them. I was actually ready for a very long wait. 

Theordore

I see. Thanks for your perspective.

@Theordore 

I'm curious how long did you wait on hold t talk to a bell agent? I called telus 2 weeks ago with a billing issue for my optik tv. I was on hold for 45 minutes.

I guess it is unfair to compare Bel customer service with PM., Tier 1 vs Tier 3.  It will be fairer to compare Telus vs Bell, PM vs Lucky

Saying that, I know Lucky has mobile app for easy account access, they also have live chat for customer issue.  Those are far easier support route.  Of course, PM will argue that the Reward is a big thing here, which it is.  I am not surprise a live chat like that would cause us all the rewards.  Without reward, I am not surprise PM will loss a significant amount of customers in the short term.

Theordore

Oh I forgot  -- re. the service I just bought from Bell, it is the same type as I bought from PM  -- esp. no contract.  Yes, I might have got the deal because I am a long-time Bell client.

What is *very* key here, in this experience, is not the deal (peanuts) but the supreme ease of getting through to a Bell person and setting up the service.  Telus should have people test the Bell client-relations procedures to see how Bell can eat Telus' lunch in this game.  I sense Telus is cutting costs here; but this might be a case of shooting yourself in the foot.

The three-strikes-and-you-are-out protocol on trying to protect access to your SIM card but failing to give the right PIN is a case in point.  Since there is absolutely no coaching on which PIN they were talking about (which is where my mistake happened), Telus needs to be ready to quickly get clients up and running again in using their SIM cards.  Okay they need to control access to the PUKs; but forcing you to jump through multiple hoops and wait days is a great way to drive people into the arms of the competition, which is exactly what they did in my case.

Theordore

A quick response to thank you for your thoughtful notes.  I have not abandoned PM or my account account at this point.  Re. my paid account, I am waiting to see how quickly Moderator takes action to allow me to use the SIM card, and am hoping I will not feel the need to contact VISA about blocking payments.

Re. the user interface protocols, I would like to contribute from time to time. I feel that no matter what is the convenience for the programmer, the protocol designer has to pay careful attention to the hoops through which he is demanding the user jump; since this is a good way to lose clients.

For example, if you need to do a security check as I go from one point to the next, you need to keep track of where I was just given access and make sure you do not present me with a naked "logon failed" message if I had just a few seconds ago been admitted to a protected page. At that point it is a very unfriendly message  -- not a good way to build goodwill or your business, IMO.

In short, it is not the programming here, it is the protocol design, and I guess the company is not doing enough internal testing of the quality of the user interface before allowing the software to go public. So it is up to us to let them know they have a mess on their hands, in this department.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@Theordore 

Do you have other service with Bell (home internet, home tv, home phone, etc) and hence you able to get such a bargain? But that's a Contract deal?  they guarantee the price or only those first 12 months price and then so much after?

Thanks for the screenshots.  Honest, you are great for coming back with nice screenshots and tell us what was your issue.  You have left, but you still try to give us your experience for possible improvement in the process

I walked through the steps you showed myself too.  Honest, the first  logon with the Community account is kind of  unnecessary.   But I guess the reason is that it has redirected you out of the Community site for creating the ticket, and hence it need to ask you for the community credentials again.  Can it be done without ?  Definitely.  Maybe PM was doing this for security reason.

You issue with No category selection until browser cached cleared.  This is a local computer issue, not a site design thing.

Your second Error logging in.  Were you aware it was asking you the Self-Serve account there?  Yes, another login and it is definitely confusing.  With current PM setup using Community to open ticket for Self-serve account issue,  this is already a confusing model from the beginning.   I still think there should be way to integrate both into one.   Or the opening ticket should be directly from Self-Serve.  Any follow-up  communication from the ticket will then be within the Self-Serve account (maybe via email , maybe another inbox within Self-Serve).   I guess this make sense , too.  My enquiry of my account within the Self-Serve/My Account side rather than via Community.   This will leave Community with strictly discussion based.    Actually ticket opening for account related issue will go back to "My Account" Portal

@Theordore 

Wow you got unlimited Canada wide calling, international SMS/MMS texting, 1GB of data and a call centre with Bell for less than $23+tax? Great negotiating....enjoy your new full service mobile provider! 

@Theordore wrote:

I accidentally used the three tries available to enter the Sim PIN correctly, and so I had to try and get the SIM PUK (or is it PUC)? The *only* source of this code involves a call to me by a PublicMobile Moderator. Getting to issue the request for that call was so frustrating ( go here to see the blow-by-blow account https://1drv.ms/b/s!ArCGwMW8jsTogReQnHnCwQBVW6Zz?e=hOisMq  with PASSWORD == PublicM0 -- last char. is zero) I ended up calling Bell Canada and got the same service (new SIM) at a cheaper monthly plan fee!.

Okay I may have executed some of those detailed steps incorrectly; but the user interface protocol should be robust enough to allow for users who do not know the fine details of the correct procedure (e.g. clearing browser cache).  This is too much pain to bear and still have to shell out $25 per month, when I get the same service at Bell for less.

Unfrotuantely, at any carrier of the carriers here, you'd have to contact customer service for the SIM's card's PUK.  I am aware that there are website that say that the PUK is printed on the SIM card packaging, but I have never seen that, nor is it something that Public Mobile does.

Need Help? Let's chat.