cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to a plan with more data

ElGato85
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello everybody, 

I'm currently on the 40 dollar 5 GB plan but I'm planning on upgrading to the 50 dollar 8 GB plan just because I anticipate an increase in data usage over the next couple of months when the Gyms open to the public again. However, when I logged in to my account and clicked on the Change Plan button, no option appeared and I don't know if I can even be allowed to upgrade to the fifty dollar plan. If I could do so, would I also lose all the benefits I get for referring people to Public Mobile? I currently get 8 dollars off each month and I am counting on having the same benefits if I switch to the plan I want. Any response to my message would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

If you choose to change your plan on next renewal date your account simply adjusts the plan provisions and price the next time it renews - the changed plan becomes your base plan indefinitely, until you change it again.

You can upgrade or downgrade your plan this way as often as you like - once per cycle, anyhow - there's no costs, no restrictions. Rewards and Add-ons attached to an active account remain unaffected.

There are a few caveats to consider:

- If you got your existing plan on some sort of special/promo offer then any "free" bonus Minutes, Data, or Add-ons you got in the package deal might be conditional and might get removed from your account.

- You can always switch to any of the plans PM currently offers but if you switch away from a "grandfathered" legacy plan which is no longer offered then you won't be able to switch back to it. (And PM has changed their plan structure without notice many times in the past, so even the plans they offer now might be gone, or better, or worse next week - you never know.)

- If you choose to "renew now" instead of "renew at next cycle" then you won't gain Rewards for the interrupted plan cycle, nor will you gain any refund or credit for any unused days or provisions remaining.

- If you have a history of "problems" involving credit card payments with PM - declined payments, reversed payments, etc - even if your credit card parameters have been somehow borderline enough to cause broken AutoPay cycles - then you might experience "fixed" credit card payment woes (and broken AutoPay) all over again on the pre-auth checkouts for a higher-cost plan.

- If you upgrade a Limited Talk plan to an Unlimited Talk plan then you obviously won't be able to make use of any Canada-wide Talk Add-ons attached to the account. (Until you retrograde back down to a Limited Talk plan, lol.)*

* I haven't confirmed this, but I have read complaints about this particular example from users claiming their Canada-wide Talk Add-on was incorrectly consumed/wasted over subsequent month(s) of usage.

@ElGato85 you're welcome! whenever you use the PM website just use incognito mode to avoid potential issues.

ElGato85

Thank you everyone, I was able to upgrade my plan to the one I wanted and I didn't lose any of my benefits in the process!!!, thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. Have a wonderful weekend. 

ElGato85

@gpixel ,I tried logging in in an incognito mode and I was able to upgrade my plan to the one I needed, thank you so much for your helping me out.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@ElGato85 wrote:

Hello everybody, 

I'm currently on the 40 dollar 5 GB plan but I'm planning on upgrading to the 50 dollar 8 GB plan just because I anticipate an increase in data usage over the next couple of months when the Gyms open to the public again. However, when I logged in to my account and clicked on the Change Plan button, no option appeared and I don't know if I can even be allowed to upgrade to the fifty dollar plan. If I could do so, would I also lose all the benefits I get for referring people to Public Mobile? I currently get 8 dollars off each month and I am counting on having the same benefits if I switch to the plan I want. Any response to my message would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

@ElGato85   All your rewards, add-ons will carry over to any new plan as all that is connected to your account.  As for changing plans, can you try again after clearing cache/cookies and using a different browser with incognito/private mode enabled? 

From time to time there are glitches in PM's system, so just waiting a little while usually will help too.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@ElGato85Clear your cache and restart your computer not seeing your plan change options is a problem with the website and should clear up. No need to worry about rewards etc when changing plans because rewards are associated with your account and not your plan so you can change plans as many times as you wish without affecting your rewards.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@ElGato85 try using your browser in incognito/private mode and try again.

if you change plans you will keep all your referral rewards and credits

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@ElGato85 the benefits mentioned go with the account, not the plan. You will not lose them.

When you’re changing your plan, you can choose to change immediately or at your next plan renewal date. To change your plan: sign in to Self-Serve, select ‘Change Plan’ on the Overview page, select the plan you want, and scroll to the bottom of the page.If you’re looking to apply a promotion to your plan, learn how you can do that here.Changing your plan on the next plan renewal dateWe recommend you choose this option because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for until your next plan renewal date. Here are some things you should know about this option:
  • If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.
  • If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.
  • You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.
  • Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.
Changing your plan immediatelyYou may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, or if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:
  • There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.
  • A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.
  • Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment
  • Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.
  • If your account is suspended – changing your plan is a 2-step process, so be sure to complete both steps or you may be left with partial or no service. Step 1 initiates the change, and step 2 reactivates your account via making a payment (if necessary).
    1. Make sure to review your details carefully before changing your plan - Once you click “Yes, change my plan”, all features from your current plan will be lost and the plan change will be completed, even if you do not make a payment in the second step.
    2. Top up your account with sufficient funds to reactivate your service - Since we are a prepaid service, you need to have the funds available for the plan change to fully take effect. If you only have partial funds in your account, or if you do not complete payment after changing your plan, you may be left with no or partial service. We have introduced several warnings to ensure you don’t leave the page without topping up, but figured we should mention it here as well. Note: If you have sufficient funds to cover your new plan,you won’t be taken to the payment menu.
What will happen if my payment wasn’t completed?In this scenario, your account could still move from suspend to active, re-starting your plan cycle and potentially only reactivating a portion or none of your services. If you find yourself in this situation, simply go to the “Payment” tab in Self-Serve, choose “One Time Payment”, and opt to pay the “Amount Due”. This will cover the new plan cost less any partial payment that was taken. After successful payment, your services should be fully reactivated. If your services aren’t restored,please start a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon, to submit a ticket to the Moderator Team by clicking here.

Stay safe.

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ElGato85 hi no you will not lose any rewards/referrals with a plan change just click on change on renewal for your plan change that way you will not lose any of your remaining 30 day cycle have a great day!!

Need Help? Let's chat.