cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade but no data

Kathieknox
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have just upgraded to the $25 plan which should give me unlimited talk and text and some data. 

However, I cannot access data (cannot connect to Internet) 

In the help section it says to go into settings and then into cellular data network and input APN: SP.MB.COM and then an http and and MMS proxy. However there are no options when I open it to add the http or MMS proxy. 

Please could you assist. 

27 REPLIES 27

Kathieknox

Thanks everyone. Problem solved. Tried all of your suggestions. 

I think the one that finally fixed it was taking SIM card out and reinserting it. Thanks kindly 

@Kathieknox wrote:

Thanks i have checked and i have data and currently there is no usage.

Oddly, it seems to me, it's showing minutes for talk/text and both the usage and available minutes.  However, with this plan i should have unlimited talk and text so i am not sure why it is showing that i only have a certain number of minutes left.

I have just spoken to Apple, and they say that what i probably have to do is a total erase and reboot.  sigh 😞

@Kathieknox  From what you describe it appears that you are still on your old limited minute plan without any data left so that is why your data is not working. Until you switch plans successfully your data will not work even if your phone is properly configured. 

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Kathieknox wrote:

Oddly, it seems to me, it's showing minutes for talk/text and both the usage and available minutes.  However, with this plan i should have unlimited talk and text so i am not sure why it is showing that i only have a certain number of minutes left.

I have just spoken to Apple, and they say that what i probably have to do is a total erase and reboot.  sigh 😞

Regarding the checking of data (on self-serve portal)... do not go by the "View My Usage", as the usage history is not updated in real-time for data.  When you first log in (or if you click on Overview), what do you see in the "My Data & Add-Ons" section?  If you got the $25/30 days plan with 1GB of data, you should see "500MB + 500MB at 3G Speed   xxx.xxx  /  1024 MB".  It sounds like you may have post-dated the plan change, and it's not in effect (further supported based on you seeing minutes on an unlimited plan)?  If data is in effect:

• What shows up for the xxx.xxx value?  Even if you haven't consumed any data, having data on should show something like 5.292.  If it shows 0, then it's likely we need to perform further troubleshooting on the device to enable/turn on data.
  • If this line doesn't show up, then you either don't have a plan that provides data (haven't switched over yet?), or you've consumed all your available data for the billing period.

I wouldn't go the factory reset/restore route just yet.  That tends to be a last-resort, and the answer that any support staff is trained to provide.  It might be a bit heavy-handed, TBH.

migisanny
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The new plan that you have will be updated after the next cycle though.

CalgaryBen

@Kathieknox wrote:

But i still am unable to access data. 

I have followed all directions for unlockit.co.nz and still I cannot access data.

I have an iPhone 6S and the most updated IOS. 

@Kathieknox, given that you're using a 6S, there is no need to use unlockit.co.nz (that method is really only applicable to iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4).  I recommend that you remove the profile loaded by using that path, just to clean things up (it does no harm, but it overrides the intended configurations, which could make things difficult down the road...).  Do so via Settings --> General, and scroll down to the bottom of this section.  Above "Reset", you'll likely see "Profile"; tap on it to go into the installed profile(s), and Remove each one including the APN Carrier Settings from unlockit.co.nz.  While you're at it, remove any VPN profiles that might've been installed.  For example some of the "data management" apps out there will proxy your data through a server, but if that server is down, then all your data gets blocked.

I'd also suggest looking at this post and following method #1 (download the app), and ensure that you're getting an IP address from the network.  As a side test, do you have someone that's not on an iPhone who you can send an MMS (e.g. picture) to?  If so, this is a good way to verify that the data portion is working.  You don't even need a data plan for this -- it simply confirms having the correct carrier profile and acquiring an IP address.

By the way, when you say you're "unable to access data" -- what is/are your test(s) that yields this conclusion?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kathieknox wrote:

thanks so much!

Stay tuned. 

phone is a couple of years old now.  they suggest new battery for $49 as well.  It's the one thing about apple i don't like.

One thing? 🙂

So that reference thread didn't help you?

@Kathieknox$49 for a new battery + warranty is a bargain compared with competitors like Google Pixel. Batteries doesn't last forever especially if you run it down and don't keep it in the 50-80% range all the time.

Kathieknox

thanks so much!

Stay tuned. 

phone is a couple of years old now.  they suggest new battery for $49 as well.  It's the one thing about apple i don't like.

@KathieknoxAll your wifi passwords should be stored in your keychain.. so make sure your icloud is up to date before you Erase All.

@Kathieknox 

Factory reset is a good idea if suggested by Apple.  Make sure to back up your information prior to reset.  

With the newer iphones, you should not need to adjust APN settings.  It should be done automatically.  Factory reset might just do the trick.  Let us know if it works.  

Kathieknox

@Kathieknox wrote:

i should have no data used seeing as i just upgraded to the $25 plan a few minutes ago.

Still want me to turn off and take sim out? i tried turning off before to no avail.  Sim has was out one week ago.

@Kathieknox The data usage counter on your online login page verifies that your plan has data. Removing the sim is also recommended but your choice.

Kathieknox

i should have no data used seeing as i just upgraded to the $25 plan a few minutes ago.

Still want me to turn off and take sim out? i tried turning off before to no avail.  Sim has was out one week ago.

@Kathieknox wrote:

thanks kindly.

i have tried to create apn again, since rectifying the change in plan. but still no data

@Kathieknox On your selfservre landing page does it show your data usage? If no, then it means that you dont have any data available. If yes, turn off your phone remove the sim for a couple of minutes and try again. Any change?

Kathieknox

no.  i'm reluctant as have to renter all wifi passwords etc?

Kathieknox

thanks kindly.

i have tried to create apn again, since rectifying the change in plan. but still no data

@Kathieknox wrote:

Much appreciated all. 

I weny back in to my account only to find that the upgrade to the $25 plan had not occurred. So now for 13 days I will have spent the whole $25 and still no data. I would say that’s not good. Is there a way I can get a moderator to refund or prorate? And also to solve this. 

I have followed all directions for unlockit.co.nz and still I cannot access data. When I followed those steps previously, I recall it worked and I even posted about it and have save the instructions. However, I cannot access data still. 

I have tuned on the toggle for cellular data as well. 

Can anyone help? Thanks to all the attempts to help me  thus far. 

THANKS 

@Kathieknox The plan change failure world explain why you don't have data. The best option is to notify the moderator explain what happened ask them to fix the issue.

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Note: Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am (Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm (Eastern).

* Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team *

Kathieknox

Much appreciated all. 

I weny back in to my account only to find that the upgrade to the $25 plan had not occurred. So now for 13 days I will have spent the whole $25 and still no data. I would say that’s not good. Is there a way I can get a moderator to refund or prorate? And also to solve this. 

I have followed all directions for unlockit.co.nz and still I cannot access data. When I followed those steps previously, I recall it worked and I even posted about it and have save the instructions. However, I cannot access data still. 

I have tuned on the toggle for cellular data as well. 

Can anyone help? Thanks to all the attempts to help me  thus far. 

THANKS 

The link referenced by @Anonymous is spot on.  @CalgaryBen is someone we call an expert around here 😉

@KathieknoxWhat model and iOS system do you have? If you are in a bind, you can always walk into an Apple Store, they are wonderful that they will try to help you physically no matter how new or old your iPhone is.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kathieknox 

This seems to be a go-to reference for all things Apple. Have a read.

@Kathieknox 

Which model iphone do you have?

Have you tried re-booting/re-starting your phone?

What about network reset?

Some models of iPhones do not allow you to manually update your APNs. If this is your case, using your mobile phone, visit co.nz. This will automatically download the required APNs in your phone settings.

Kathieknox

Hi I’m still in need of assistance here. Paying for data but I have none as cannot follow your directions as there are no options for me to change anything other than the APN.  When I follow and go into settings and network all I get is hotspot and a place to add APN 

doesnt seem to be a way to add a screen shot here...is there??? 

Kathieknox

Thanks but I cannot find anywhere to add any of the details given and no idea how to follow your directions. Sorry could you explain in more detail. 

sunflowershine

@Kathieknox Make sure you "+" instead of edit your current APN setting and "Save" changes afterwards...

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Kathieknox wrote:

I have just upgraded to the $25 plan which should give me unlimited talk and text and some data. 

However, I cannot access data (cannot connect to Internet) 

In the help section it says to go into settings and then into cellular data network and input APN: SP.MB.COM and then an http and and MMS proxy. However there are no options when I open it to add the http or MMS proxy. 

Please could you assist. 

@Kathieknox These are the Public Mobile APN settings you need:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.

If you need to know where to find the settings:
Android
Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Iphone
Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network
OR
Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.
What is the make and model of your phone?

RossN
Mayor / Maire

did you try a network reset?

Need Help? Let's chat.