cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Card Shipped Separate from a Phone?

JimP23
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I ordered a PublicMobile PreOwned phone earlier this week, and it arrived very quickly, just 2 days later.  But there was no PublicMobile sim card in the phone nor in the box.  Will the sim card be shipped to me separately?

67 REPLIES 67

Meow
Mayor / Maire

I do not know where Internet is heading but some web sites are very picky what browser do you use.

I know I have to flip browsers when accessing some banking sites as half of things do not get displayed when I use my default browser.

I do not know which 'standard' these sites follow but it looks like there is no standard anymore 😩

@JimP23 wrote:@

I still assert that this was not the case when I placed my order. However, I am now suspecting that it was because of some problem at my end. I use several internet security-privacy apps which suppress pop-ups and tracking cookies, and I have noticed before that my apps can interfere with the intended functioning of legitimate websites, so, I am wondering if that happened to me when I entered the order for my phone.

It might be the case...

I know that few thing do not work on PM site when I use older Firefox (Win10-PC) so in order for me to accomplish what I intend to do I have to use clean MS Edge (no blocks, no cookies suppression, etc.).

barndoor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech wrote:

come up on the Community here.. spend just 3 hours or so in a month and answer a few questions for other, you can easily get $1 or $2 Community reward   🙂

Do you work for the gov't  for a paying job ?  😀

@JimP23 yeah.. it could be.. as we all said, it's a weird feature on the site.   But the one who fulfilled the order , saw it , should be courtesy enough to add it back for the customer.   I would try to open another ticket and hope a nicer mod would do something for you.

If I remember correctly, you already paid for a  SIM and activated.  No worry.. worst case, come up on the Community here.. spend just 3 hours or so in a month and answer a few questions for other, you can easily get $1 or $2 Community reward and you can get the $10 back soon  🙂

barndoor

@JimP23 

Maybe that is the case ..but it doesn't change the fact that an accurately worded sales pitch rather than the misleading one you read would have alerted you to what to expect so this would have been a non issue . 😉 

JimP23

@Anonymous @softech @Meow

OK, I give in. Several Community members have said that you have gone to the PM "store", have entered a test order for a CPO phone, and you report that in your case a free SIM card was added to the Cart before you checked out.

I still assert that this was not the case when I placed my order. However, I am now suspecting that it was because of some problem at my end. I use several internet security-privacy apps which suppress pop-ups and tracking cookies, and I have noticed before that my apps can interfere with the intended functioning of legitimate websites, so, I am wondering if that happened to me when I entered the order for my phone.

Thank you all for your contributions to this discussion.

barndoor

@darlicious wrote:

. Where did they hire these people from? fido?

Are they not in    other countries ?  And the communication with customers here  may benefit from better translation programs . 

@JimP23 ,

I think @LurganIeUk has pretty much explained how and what happened.

👍

@Yummy 

Yes it is a slightly strange process....I understand why they do it that way but as any savy shopoers know there is usually a hidden cost for free so its instinctual to refuse the free product or at keast look for the small print....in the abscence of that most will turn something down. (Not to say the OP did.)

@Anonymous 

The BS response from the CPO rep doesn't help...nor did the one from the mod in @flong 's case. Where did they hire these people from? fido?

@Yummy wrote:

I guess PM should provide few screen prints of phone ordering process and explicitly emphasize to do NOT remove SIM with cost of $0 if you want to receive 'free SIM'.

They should also post big words on the system about SIM ordering : 

SIM Delivery could be as long as 3-4 weeks!!!!  You didn't pay for Prime Delivery.. so, we have Slow delivery here!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : I said as much earlier...one has to go out of their way to not have it there. I doubt the OP did that too...but these things need to be asked. And then there's the ridiculous reply from a CPO CSR.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

I guess PM should provide few screen prints of phone ordering process and explicitly emphasize to do NOT remove SIM with cost of $0 if you want to receive 'free SIM'.

Following PM forum since I joined PM I believe something similar and confusing occur when PM offers freebies at the end of the year.

To my understanding (I have not experience 'freebie' yet) you have to 'purchase' add-on costing $0 in order to receive it and that act of 'purchase' could be scary for those on tight budget.

@Anonymous wrote:

@JimP23 : Yes it's rather confusing now. Me and softech have gone in to the phone purchasing screen and see the SIM there for $0. For you to not see it all is the confusing part. If you had gone in and clicked Remove then it would disappear (let alone zeroing it).

I echo the above...ask for a credit to your Available Funds. It's how the place is supposed to work.

Just to 'experience' phone purchase I did try to purchase it and I can confirm ordering of a phone does include free SIM card. The way PM did it you see 2 items you are purchasing: 1 x SIM = $0 and 1 x phone = $xxx

Why would anybody remove free SIM? Even after removing free SIM price of the total order did not change, meaning PM did not decrease total order for $10 (which is how much PM charges for new SIM).

In my book it looks like you will get a phone + free SIM if you do follow proper ordering process.

I guess whoever orders phone from PM will get receipt by email where it clearly state what has been purchased.

For somebody who is not familiar with PM's way of doing things, there is a room for making mistake(s) and I believe contacting MODs and explaining why SIM is missing will provide remedy.

@Anonymous 

I am not doubting the OP but merely replying to your comment that it would hard to unorder it or not order it....or whatever the order form was at the time. This is 100% pm's fault start to finish.

@JimP23 

We realize you didn't post for the $10. But did you use a referral code for the $10 bonus referral credit? $10 is $10.....you came to pm to save money did you not? For one of my accounts $10 pays for an entire 30 days of service. So correcting the website wording, the poorly trained staff and returning the $10 out of pocket that you are is all part of the solution.

Public mobile has its failings but they have been very good about correcting the wrongs when it comes to their customers. Too long the mobile providers in Canada have bred into the public or their customers that its not worth the effort to ask for or many cases have to demand what is owed to them.....provide you with the services or product that you paid for.....and when it comes to prepaid providers there is a strict adherence to that rule. If you don't pay you don't get. Well you paid and you didn't get.

If I was public mobile I would credit your account and send you a free sim card. What you already have one? Its always good to have a spare sim card in the drawer just in case you need one in an emergency.....pm will probably hope that's an emergency referral! I  certainly hope you contact the moderators or that @J_PM  does to properly compensate you for pm's failing in your case.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JimP23 

nice reporting

Good Luck and your welcome to public mobile
with a Beautiful Service
you will be very happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JimP23 : Yes it's rather confusing now. Me and softech have gone in to the phone purchasing screen and see the SIM there for $0. For you to not see it all is the confusing part. If you had gone in and clicked Remove then it would disappear (let alone zeroing it).

I echo the above...ask for a credit to your Available Funds. It's how the place is supposed to work.

@JimP23 wrote:

@darlicious, thanks for your detailed thoughts, but I don't recall that my order for the phone gave me any box to tick for a free SIM card.

@JimP23  It's add to the order automatically after a phone is added to the shopping cart

you should open another ticket and push for a refund of the $10... 

JimP23

Hi Community members, thank you for all of the responses!

@Anonymous @LurganIeUk When I ordered the phone the "store" did not add an entry for a SIM card (either free or for $10). I did not "zero out" the SIM card. I did not save a screenshot but I'm sure that it did not look like the image posted today by @LurganIeUk.

@softech, Yes after I received the email reply from the CPO team telling me that they don't give a free SIM card and that I have to buy one, I did purchase a SIM card from the PM Store. The store did not offer it to me for free, and the CPO rep did not give me a discount code, so I had to pay $10. Happily, the SIM card has arrived, and I have activated the new account, and the phone works great.

@BKNS27, thanks, but I'm not going to trouble any more Mods with this issue, I'm not doing this to get $10, I posted this today so that the false advertising on PM's website would be corrected, and I don't know if a Mod can do that?

@darlicious, thanks for your detailed thoughts, but I don't recall that my order for the phone gave me any box to tick for a free SIM card.

Thank you all for this active and helpful Community!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : I don't buy it. ( heh heh ) There's a Remove button and a quantity arrow or box. Update the cart and it will reflect your choice. Add more and it will charge it. Make it zero and it will remove it. Click Remove and it will remove it. One has to go out of their way to _not_ "order" a SIM.

You're already in the place to order a phone unlike "buying" the gifts.

Nope. I say the company messed up and that moderator is dead wrong. I would really have to doubt the OP went about not including it. Nor do I know what a receipt has on it.

@Anonymous 

Its always confusing when you have to "purchase" a free item. Unless you look closely at the price of the sim card to see $0 and understand that by ticking the box that $0 doesn't suddenly change to $10 or add an additional shipping charge. A common occurence with online shopping. 

We have also spent plenty of time here that last couple of Decembers explaining to fellow customers how to purchase their free " more the merrier" add on gifts by ticking the box of the $0 add on and scrolling down to confirm and submit your $0 purchase.

@Anonymous wrote:

Why anyone would opt out of something free 

Environmental friendly   🙂

I wonder if OP opted out too thinking that it might cost him money.

Still I think there is chance Mod could send the SIM out for courtesy ( with a perfectly normal 3 weeks delivery time)...or as I suggested, just go to a store for activation for the free SIM

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : In the prior OP thread esjliv had posted an image of the order screen. Why anyone would opt out of something free is beyond me but I do wonder if the OP did. It's why I asked if they had a receipt detailing their purchase.

barndoor

If you tell someone you are going to give them a free sim with the phone  ... then send them a  free sim like you said you would  OR change the wording of your offer to describe what the situation will be in proper english  not expect them to do it the way you want just because you want . 

@JimP23 

I was aware that you get a free sim card with the purchase of a phone. In my mind if you didn't need a new sim that you should be able to get a slight reduction in price. The response was it comes with a free sim card full stop. Either way until @LurganIeUk posted the screenshot I had no idea how to order or what the order form looked like and the process to order.

Still accepting the CPO answer would be a non starter for me and you have done the right thing of coming to the community. I was given great advice when I first joined the community and tangled with a moderator. Get a second opinion. If there is one thing regular members of the community have learned is moderators are frequently wrong. It looks like the same goes for the CPO team.

Whether or not the CPO team is unaware that phones automatically come with a free sim card or they simply forgot to add it to your order they should have remedied the situation by simply shipping you a replacement sim card. The confusion could have occurred on either end with you know realizing you have to tick the box for the free sim card and they realizing the same thing.....as to why you didn't recieve the sim card.

Meanwhile public mobile can help prevent this from happening in the future by giving additional customer service training to the CPO team. They can update the order form to provide clearer instructions on how to fill out the order form to recieve both items. Lastly once you contact the moderators pm can make it up to you by crediting your account the cost of the sim card that you purchased. Include a copy of your reciept in your message to the modertors.

Now that @J_PM has been tagged twice in this thread we should hopefully see these improvements implemented in short order.

@JimP23 

Notice the wording here. 

The CPO Team replied saying:

I had the opportunity to access your order with the order number previously provided, but I couldn't see the SIM that was ordered, in this case, you need to submit a new order just for your SIM card, or you can visit any of our stores and purchase one there and activate it at the same time.

Is that because you removed that option from the order...then they would not see? But they still should have offered you one as they have confirmed it was not ordered!! And from what I have heard that the phone and SIM are shipped separately.

@JimP23 

I would suggest you contact the moderator and ask to chat with Silvio or Andu. The two senior moderators. They normally are very helpful in fixing your issue. They might even throw in a $5 discount of your next bill for your troubles.

@JimP23 

I think you were getting responses from a person who is not knowledgeable on the program of including a free SIM. Being a new customer you will find that PM could do a better job explaining things....they seem to forget they are ALL online and clear and concise explanations is what a customer needs to see. Most of us are aware of how free works here....you have to “order” free.....it just does not happen.....make sure when you order free that the price shown is $0.00......and it always works as free. 

Nothing misleading here…..but misunderstood absolutely. 

74EEBD3B-86D0-420A-877C-4ADFD24EF395.jpeg

@JimP23  I heard that people are getting free sim when ordering phones before, too.

Are you activating new account?  If so, you might be able to get the SIM for free.  Check local kiosk like Walmart or London Drugs.  If you activate with them , they might give you the SIM for free.

@JimP23 When you ordered the phone did not the order screen also show a SIM card that was defaulted to order 1? That was your free one from what I have heard here. Or did you change that to 0? Here is a screen print of the order.....note the default 1 SIM card is priced at $0.00. Did you make any screen prints? 

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 8.10.36 AM.png

Need Help? Let's chat.