cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming 5G service?

Jay_ca
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is any 5G service coming with Public Mobile network in near future?

9 REPLIES 9

Jadebug
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@sheytoon

Thank you for the insight, the diagram was particularly helpful. It seems like I have quite a bit of research to do to get up to date on the topic ☺️

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Jay_ca wrote:

Not going to happen.  No one has 5g in near future. Why would Public when a budget brand?

@Jadebug, getting sidetracked here, but there's 2 versions of 5G.

The first one is called non-standalone (NSA), which in fact uses the existing 4G core network, as well as part of the existing 4G RAN. Essentially a phone will connect to 2 technologies at the same time: LTE (4G) and NR (5G). First connection is to an existing LTE "anchor" band for signaling (and optionally user data), and the second one is to supplement with 5G user data in parallel if available. In NSA architecture, there's no such thing as 5G only. The phone must always be connected to LTE.

The long term goal is standalone (SA), which is totally independent infrastructure.

Most early launch operators will be going with NSA, and most early launch phones will be supporting NSA as well. SA will be 2-3 years behind NSA.

Here's a great picture of NSA architecture:NR_LTE_Interplay_Overall_NetworkArchitecture_01.png

Jadebug
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Jay_ca wrote:

5G technology requires a new infrastructure, it does not build on top of 3G/4G one. For that reason, it's unlikely to see this technology supported in Canada as a whole in the next few of years. 

Let's see if we get VoLTE first... Then we might get 5G ten years later.

delarami

I don't think it would happen anytime soon. However you can always upgrade from 3g to 4g lte if you need faster data. 

Jay_ca

Thanks for update info...

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Jay_ca  Maybe one day in the future.

Chain of events I would expect

Telus gets 5G then Koodo gets 5G then Public Mobile gets 5G.

Although I am more than happy on my 3G plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jay_ca  - Since Public Mobile is a third tier service provider, it is unlikely to happen any time soon.

Need Help? Let's chat.